OtakuBoards

Where can i find more anime?

dposse

I have been looking at alot of the posts on the boards and i have noticed that they talk about anime that i have never heard of before. The only networks that i have that show anime are The WB, Cartoon Network, and Adult Swim(which i know isnt a real network) I have seen alot of anime, from Cardcaptors to BigO. But, i know that there is more out there. Can you tell me how i can find more anime?

Three are four basic ways to watch and/or acquire anime. Because my post covers all of them in detail, I don't think this topic can lead to further discussion. Next time, think a bit more carefully about whether your question is capable of sustaining its own thread.

1) Most fans become familiar with the genre through television. ADV Films recently created The Anime Network (which is only available in certain areas, and even then can be difficult to acquire). Although TAN obviously features a wealth of popular, well-made shows, it's just not something that a lot of people can find or afford. If you're lucky enough to have digital cable [i]and[/i] live in the right region, then TAN may be a viable option.

Tech TV airs some anime--most notably Last Exile, one of GONZO's best series--as does the Sci-Fi Channel, Showtime and even MTV2. So it's possible to see other shows and movies on TV, but it takes a bit of work to hunt them down.

2) You can probably find some decent films or box sets at your local Blockbuster. Netflix (an online DVD rental service) also features a decent supply of anime. Renting is somewhat cheaper than buying, but the selection generally won't be quite so broad.

3) I purchase a lot of anime on DVD. People tend to complain about the supposedly exorbitant prices, but you have to bear in mind that anime costs much, [i]much[/i] more in Japan. Best Buy is a great place to find cheap box sets, while Borders and Suncoast usually have the highest prices. If you live near any specialty shops, they might offer some interesting deals.

4) Last but not least, there's always fansubs. I can't elaborate on that subject here, so PM me if you have any interest in learning how to get some.

~Dagger~