OtakuBoards

Minor Disorders

Muad'Dib

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]I probably know some other disorders, but I'm not comin' up with any right now. I think I have some OCD tendencies (I've become obsessed with washing my hands), but doesn't everyone?
[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
if it becomes an interference with your everyday life, see a doctor. we may all have some tendencies, but when it becomes a problem is when we need to take action.

Give you an example here: my two brothers and i have all been diagnosed with depression in one form or another. my oldest brother is cool with his problems and needs no outside help, because it never interferes with his life.

my younger brother is cool with his depression too, but he also has ADD, which caused him a lot of trouble in school. got that taken care of with Ritalin, he's fine now.

my depression screwed me over from third grade to eighth (read: caused me to be hospitalized like ten times for suicide attempts) because we didn't know what to do. now i'm being treated for bipolar disorder and i'm going to graduate in the top half of my class. *thumbs nose at sixth grade counselor*

my buddy Stash (long story) has bipolar disorder that caused him some (BIG) trouble earlier in the school year. they're treating him now, and he's all right... thank God.

there are some people who really have problems that can be solved by medication. but there are more people who are overmedicated because behavior therapy dictates that they need to be calm and focused all the time, and when a kid has a bad day our culture has parents thinking 'oh my god, he/she has ADHD, i need to get them on Ritalin/Adderall/any number of medications' and it's DUMB.

Side note: Ritalin is approximately one molecule chemically different from illegal methamphetamines. chew on that a bit.[/FONT]

My only disorder to speak of is very acute pyrophobia, which is due in large part to an instance with my best firend, a candle, and my hair.

I'd have to say that I'm an advocate of medication for those with ADD/ADHD, but only if they desire it. I have quite a lot of friends with one or the other of the disorders, and frankly I (my compassionate self) would really rather not come within five feet of many of these people when they're unmedicated (seeing as many of them also have an inexplicable facination with fire, which is clearly not a common interest). Having seen the effects it has on my friends, many of whom actually told me they had and were medicated for a disorder before I even suspected that I might need to suspect something, I am of the firm belief that it does improve the quality of life. However, if they chose to forego their medication for any reason- be it personal, psychological, political, toast-related, whatever- I would do my utmost to support that decision (from a safe distance).

[QUOTE=Balinese][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Side note: Ritalin is approximately one molecule chemically different from illegal methamphetamines. chew on that a bit.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

On the contrary, it's quite different. Methamphetamine is actually still legal, I don't know the name of which it is called, but I do know they use it. If you're going by medications used for ADHD Dexedrine is the closest to methamphetamine. Dexedrine is dextroamphetamine.

Ritilin is also a much more complex molecule than that of Adderall/Dexedrine/other amphetamine based stimulants.