OtakuBoards

Hi no Tori

Dagger

This show has an amazing amount of potential. Produced in part by PBS, it promises to be one of the most inventive and beautiful series I've ever seen. The first episode's production values are only a notch or two below what one might observe in a typical Miyazaki film. Something about the background music (which is extremely well done) gives you the sense that you're watching an epic fantasy, and Hi no Tori's OP is nothing short of captivating.

To tell you the truth, I can't come up with any serious complaints--although I've noticed a couple instances of awkward dialogue. HnT may be unusually fast-paced, but I suspect that it has a lot of ground to cover. Hopefully future episodes will be more relaxed, giving the viewers time to bond with specific characters.

Hi no Tori means "Firebird," or "Phoenix." Animated by Tezuka Productions (Metropolis, Astro Boy, Black Jack) and directed by Ryousuke Takahashi (Gasaraki), it manages to be completely different from the mediocre action titles which are currently so popular. Its influences range from traditional folklore to Native American culture to heaven knows what else--one character looks just like my mental image of Attila the Hun.

I'll refrain from providing a summary because I have no clue where the show is heading. However, I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has an interest in Hi no Tori.

~Dagger~

This series is going to cover different eras in human history as per the manga. The last episode will probably take place in the present.

The PBS co-production (by WNET New York, a PBS member station) seems to have to do with the fact that this series is made for HDTV, rather than any intent to broadcast the result in the US. HDTV is something American public TV is getting behind.

I think that beyond the music and visuals, the skillful writing is what gives this series its epic feel. Instead of being limited to often confusing specifics, the characters and scenes are outlined in a bolder and more universal way.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='densuke']This series is going to cover different eras in human history as per the manga. The last episode will probably take place in the present.[/quote]

Since I'm not familiar with Tezuka's manga, I can't wait to see whether connections (obvious or otherwise) are made between the main characters in different time periods. The quest for the phoenix will probably be one such common thread, and if anyone actually does attain immortality I guess we'll come across him or her quite frequently.

[spoiler]Himiko's death was deliciously ironic. I had no trouble guessing how her demise would occur,[/spoiler] but Hi no Tori's story is so wonderfully told that it allows for a certain suspension of cynicism and disbelief.

~Dagger~

Having seen the first 4 episodes, I am no less impressed now than I was when I saw the first one. The first story arc was concluded in a very satisfying manner. I really like the way the scope of the story was handled. There were quite a few battles and major events, but the story never got bogged down in them. On the other hand, the relationships were deftly rendered and provided solid payoffs and some great scenes.