OtakuBoards

Dune: the books

Muad'Dib

[COLOR=Indigo](You may have seen the thread in the movie forum by the same title... this is the other half)

Dune, quite simply, is a legend among science fiction novels. It is not just a book, but an obsession! If you've read it, then you know. Or if you've seen the movie (witch I saw far before I knew it was a book) then you may know how awesome Dune is.

Personaly, I've read the prequel (House Atreides) and loved it, though I've never actualy read the original books. The most interesting thing about how the series was written, is that Frank Herbert died before completing the series, so his son and a friend had to find all his notes on how it was going to end and finish it themselves!

They've also made a number of prequels, including "Butlerian Jihad", "House Atriedes" and several others.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]All shall fall before the Fremen. The Sleeper has awakened.[/COLOR]

[font=Georgia][color=blue]I read the original Dune story a long time ago, during the summer when I was entering high school. We were sent a list of books and had to read any three from the list. I love sci-fi, and my sister was always fond of the book, so I gave it a shot.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]It was a sound investment (of time). The Dune universe is very intriguing, but the story's development was rather slow. I thought this book was some kind of political satire or something, since there were two rival families looking to be cool in the emperor's eyes. What kept me reading were the few hints dropped here and there that the story's so much more.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Needless to say, reading past the slow introduction to the Dune universe was rewarding. The ideas Frank Herbert came up with were ingenious. The most interesting aspects of the Dune universe (to me) were the Fremen suits and the physiological changes a person undergoes in this environment (as fictional as it was).[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]What was the most interesting aspect of the Dune universe to you?[/color][/font]

[SIZE=1]While reading the original Dune sophomore year, all I could think about was the spice, the blue eyes, the worms, and the network of people. I always wondered what caused Frank Herbert to come up with that, but it's very interesting. I have not read the other books, but I do have a copy of Children of Dune. From what I've heard, people like the other books just as much as the original, which is different. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.[/SIZE]