OtakuBoards

exaulted artists

Guest phattmasterdj

Guest phattmasterdj
One day, when I was listening to the radio I asked myself, "What happend to the oldies?" I want to know, what happend to ac/dc, metalica, guns n roses, the works. No body appreaciates those few groups that dared to defy the law (like twisted sister) and pave way for rock to be herd by everybody. Does anybody out there have any answers to why few bow down to the excelents of the oldies?

It's not that people have forgotten the oldies. Actually, ACDC just got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few months ago. I remember watching something about it on VH1. Certainly, Aerosmith is still going strong after some 30 years. I've noticed Metallica has been moderately quiet on the music scene lately. The only time I recall seeing them perform or doing anything video-wise was for Mission Impossible II. Of course, I don't really keep up with a lot of music, so I could be wrong.

I think Guns N Roses pretty much went the way that all 80s bands did: the way of the dinosaur. Axl is a regular on VH1's I Love The 80s, much like Dee Snider (lead singer of Twisted Sister).

Really, I'm not surprised that so few respect Twisted Sister. They really were just a fad, like Spinal Tap. Hair metal and such. So, for certain bands to get forgotten, it makes sense. Some of them just didn't have staying power, or didn't have the staying power of ACDC, Aerosmith, or OZZY.

Guest phattmasterdj
I know about the hall of fame and everything, but people don't respect the artists at all any more. 90% of music lovers listen to pop music and such. Rock seems to be fading, and rap has pretty much taken it's place. I am a huge music lover and watch vh1 daily. I listen to music news, the whole works. Twisted Sister was more then a fad. Without them, cussing and drugs would still be illigal to sing about. They went to court and everything to fight for the right to cuss. But my question was aimed at why rock is slowly fadding from the picture and loosing more fans and gaining less respect.

Well...I think Twisted Sister was simply in the right place at the right time. Or wrong place at the wrong time, however you want to look at it. The battle over rock n roll's drugs and such was inevitable. Twisted Sister happened to be the figurehead of the fight simply because they were prominent at the time. That court case was going to happen sometime, regardless of who was on trial, I think.

About rock fading from the picture, I don't know. It certainly isn't rock like you and I remember. There are very few ACDCs now, really no Zeppelins, and I haven't seen a band like Pink Floyd in a long time, though I don't know if Floyd is really rock in the same vein as Zeppelin or ACDC.

I think the definition of "rock" has changed. It's become more pop, I guess. I look at bands like Good Charlotte and Evanescence, Creed, and yeah, they're not anything close to the greatness of ACDC. But that's because times have changed. True rock is still there; it's just become a niche.

Ocean Colour Scene is a Beatles throwback, almost. If you can find one of their albums, pick it up. I've got their greatest hits and it's fantastic. I've also found that The Darkness is a really nice throwback to late 70s/early 80s glam rock. They've got the screechy vocals of Twisted Sister, and a sound that seems influenced by a bit of Queen, a bit of Bowie, and some ACDC. They're an acquired taste, sure, but I think those who dislike The Darkness aren't really appreciative of the style.

About the pop music, some of it really isn't that bad, necessarily. Granted, how good can Britney Spears be, but her Toxic song has a very neat synth riff and the dischords are refreshing. I was never a fan of Eminem, but "My Band" has garnered some respect from me.

For the most part, I stick with the classics. I doubt that 90% of the entire scope of music listeners ignore rock. I don't know where you got that number, but if you could link to a reputable survey, I'd appreciate it.

If it's true, then there's not much you can do about it except keep rocking to OZZY, Zeppelin and Bowie, and ride out the storm.

Guest phattmasterdj
Nah. I didn't meen literally 90%, but alot of people consider it trash. It just is a big let down, my generation has no appreciation for good artists, it just isn't right. Yeah, I have songs from all those bands, thats my life, music. I love rock, I'll listen to other music, but rock is always my fav. No one will ever top ac/dc though, they shall ever be the kings of rock. and queen well, the queens, jokin, but musicians too don't apreciate rock like they should. Without it, there would not be any pop or anything. I just think we should go back to the roots is all instead of singin about nuthing.

[quote name='phattmasterdj']90% of music lovers listen to pop music and such.[/quote]
You know, 30% of all statistics are made up. :D

I like to think that there are a lot of people out there who still have respect for the greater bands of the 80s. Sure, not many of them are under 30 years old, but there are a few of us out there. I don't even listen to a lot of rock, but I still have respect for bands like Queen, Guns and Roses, and the like. I feel like I sort of [i]have to[/i] listen to some of their songs, for the sake of knowing who they are. I, for one, hate it when older people tell me that I don't know [i]real[/i] music. It's fun to toss out a few fun-facts about bands who were popular before my time, just to see their reactions. And you know the cliche; (paraphrased) you have to know where you've been to see where you're going.

I love The Darkness. Their stance is that they're rebelling against the current music scene by not sounding over-rebellious (like most bands today). They give a thumbs-up instead of the middle finger, because [i]that's[/i] a rebellious act in today's rock scene. :rolleyes:

[b][size=1][color=darkgreen]
I don't think that rock is going out the window so much as I think that other types of "music" are getting more airtime on MTV and other such forums. There is by no means a shortage of rock fans -or rock- anywhere, in my opinion.

In my area there are three great radio stations that play great music from the 50's to the early 90's. And, it's not the same 15 songs constantly being looped every 30 minutes, it's actually good music.

Now all we need is a station that plays big-band...[/b][/size][/color]