OtakuBoards

Juuni Kokki [The Twelve Kingdoms]

Dagger

I recently bought the first DVD of this forty-five episode fantasy epic. Those beginning episodes convinced me to continue following the show, although it definitely has its flaws. Based on a popular series of novels, Juuni Kokki centers around three high schoolers (Yuka, Youko and Asano) who are taken to an alternate-universe version of ancient China. It's actually pretty similar to Inuyasha's portrayal of feudal Japan, but fans often compare Juuni Kokki to Fushigi Yuugi.

The main character, Youko is a shy, hard-working girl whose naturally red hair sometimes gets her in trouble. She strives to be likeable and friendly, yet shuns Yuka--a social outcast--when her classmates are around. To her dismay, Asano, her childhood friend and current crush, indicates an interest in Yuka. But these worries fly out the window when a mysterious, strangely dressed foreigner (Keiki) appears in school and demands that Youko come with him. By the end of episode 1, Keiki is forced to transport the three teenagers to the other world.

Despite its seemingly cliched beginning, part of Juuni Kokki's premise is deviously original (Yuka's and Youko's personalities are quite different from what one would expect). The series is a little slow to get started, and focuses heavily on character development rather than action. However, its brief fight scenes are consistently marvelous. In my opinion, the sedate pace pays off; by the end of episode 5, Youko has begun to transform from a spineless crybaby to a strong and resourceful young woman.

I'm quite happy with Juuni Kokki's artwork and animation. My main complaint is that the main characters are initially unlikeable, but as that seems to be changing, I doubt it'll bother me in the future.

~Dagger~

Juuni Kokki was extensively adapted from a series of novels which mimic Chinese epic fiction. The major change was to bring the initial story and its characters to the forefront. The series took on more of the scope of the novels in later episodes; higher-level production and broadcasting people became so unhappy that production was halted.

Considering Juuni Kokki as something like Condor Hero might put a different perspective on the strengths and weaknesses of the series. It's a bit different from Condor Hero in that it interprets events and people in a broad Confucian context rather than a somewhat more personal framework of martial arts and Buddhism. In both series the action is filtered and flattened out, but there is a correspondingly broad scope to the events in the stories.

The first few characters change an awful lot but it takes time. The first 20 episodes constitute 2 story arcs covering the way Yuka, Asano, and Youko adapt to the promises and perils of their new surroundings. They are not very likeable at first, but they are being weighed on a scale that doesn't measure "cute" or "tries hard to get along."

[quote name='MamoruAlpha']I also have the first volume of the Twelve Kingdoms. It's ok, but it seem to be way too much like Fushigi Yuugi.[/quote]Having seen all of both series I can easily point out differences.

The Chinese setting of Fushigi Yuugi is only window-dressing in many ways - it represents Miaka's wish to flee the pressures of home. The heart of Fushigi Yuugi is friendship and romance, which are traditional concerns in shoujo manga. The character development in Fushigi Yuugi is played out in terms of the Chinese story but only in a symbolic way - after all, if Miaka had stayed home and faced her problems she would have matured all the same.

Juuni Kokki concerns a real alternate world. This world is governed by traditional [i]Confucian[/i] virtues. Within Confucianism love and friendship are not nearly as important as duty and a very broad sense of justice. Yuka, Asano, and Youko must adapt to the new value system in order to survive.

Explaining much more would involve revealing too much of either series.

• 2 weeks later...
For a slow-paced series, Juuni Kokki is remarkably addictive. I picked up the second DVD several days ago and ended up watching it much more quickly than I'd originally intended. I'm really glad I decided to start purchasing this series--at five episodes per disc, it'll cost about the same amount as X-TV (which is only half as long!).

Many of the reviews and summaries I've read compare Juuni Kokki to Fushigi Yuugi. Having never seen the latter, I can't offer a proper response to densuke's comments. However, as I continue working my way through Juuni Kokki, I'll be on the lookout for hints of Confucianism--it'll be interesting to discover whether or not the show places an emphasis on filial piety.

~Dagger~

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Drowelf
Hey can ne of u tell me who sings ballad of fallen angels and which version it is
and btw i think the Escaflowne soundtrack is pretty good too

[QUOTE=Drowelf]Hey can ne of u tell me who sings ballad of fallen angels and which version it is
and btw i think the Escaflowne soundtrack is pretty good too[/QUOTE]

Um... [i]what[/i]?

First of all, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne or anime soundtracks in general. If I recall correctly, it wasn't even on the first page when you added your response--which means that you either snatched it from the Directory or sifted through a bunch of older material only to write a totally random, off-topic bit of spam. That's somewhat nonsensical, don't you think? o_O

Before posting again, please read OtakuBoards' rules and make sure you understand that we place a strong emphasis on post quality. It's imperative that you attempt to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation; minor errors are naturally okay, but fellow members shouldn't have to struggle when reading your replies.

If you have any questions, you're welcome to PM me or one of the other moderators. Thank you very much. ^_^

~Dagger~