OtakuBoards

rose of versailles

Guest eruhu

Guest eruhu
has anybody seen rose of versailles? i'm in the process of acquiring the first three episodes, and would like to know if the rest of the series (i believe there are 40 episodes) is worth it.

I wouldn't download [b]Rose of Versailles[/b] just to have something to watch; it is an old and highly stylized melodrama. It weighs in at 40 episodes. It certainly doesn't have the look or feel of anything on Cartoon Network...

But it is an important older series and had a huge impact on Shoujo Kakumei Utena. The anime was adapted from a popular manga and there is also a Takurazuka show about the story. In a Japanese poll asking about all-time favorite anime it came out at #42, lower-ranked than classics like Lupin III (#2) but far ahead of Evangelion (#77). Fansubbers have thought enough of it that the show has been continouously available via tape, captures of tape or direct digital fansubs (currently being done by Live-eviL) for years.

I remember Rose of Versailles, it was aired in French in Quebec under the title "Lady Oscar" during the late 1980's at the former French-Canadian cable channels TVJQ and Canal Famille