Sui Generis Posted August 19, 2004 Posted August 19, 2004 [COLOR=DarkGreen]Hey, Well I figured this was as good of a place to ask this question as anywhere else so I put it here. Lol Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows if poetry.com is really a trustworthy place or if its just one giant scam. I sent a poem in there for the heck of it and I just recieved something saying I'm entered into the Semi-finals and that I can be published in a collection entitled [i]Eternity[/i] I find this highly doubtful because I don't really think my work is good enough for publication and this sounds too good to be true. I think you'll agree [i]Silence Where have I gone, where have I been? What do I show, what do I need? How do I break the silence within. I've faught the pain, faught the storm, beat the sadness, beat the rain. But how do I tear this silence? We've tested the limits, found the happiness, followed the road, followed our hearts> You are how I destroy the silence.[/i] Now I think you agree with me, its not publication worthy, so am I just being scammed here? [/COLOR]
Balmon Posted August 19, 2004 Posted August 19, 2004 [QUOTE=Lalaith Ril][COLOR=DarkGreen]Hey, Well I figured this was as good of a place to ask this question as anywhere else so I put it here. Lol Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows if poetry.com is really a trustworthy place or if its just one giant scam. I sent a poem in there for the heck of it and I just recieved something saying I'm entered into the Semi-finals and that I can be published in a collection entitled [i]Eternity[/i] I find this highly doubtful because I don't really think my work is good enough for publication and this sounds too good to be true. I think you'll agree [i]Silence Where have I gone, where have I been? What do I show, what do I need? How do I break the silence within. I've faught the pain, faught the storm, beat the sadness, beat the rain. But how do I tear this silence? We've tested the limits, found the happiness, followed the road, followed our hearts> You are how I destroy the silence.[/i] Now I think you agree with me, its not publication worthy, so am I just being scammed here? [/COLOR][/QUOTE] The poem is nice - however - it's basically just a publishing service for amateurs. My roommate - who's not an experienced poet - did it as a joke. He won some poetry competition on there. Sorry to burst a possibly growing bubble... it's definitely a semi-lie.
DetectiveMikeRS Posted August 19, 2004 Posted August 19, 2004 I was told the same thing, only I was told too that I had to be in Philidelphia for an award of a silver bowl. My girlfriend looked at the signature and since she takes a lot of computer classes said it was a fake signature and it must a scam. Sure enough all my emails to site saying I don't know if I want my poem published are returned as well as the regular mail. I wouldn't trust it.
Sui Generis Posted August 20, 2004 Author Posted August 20, 2004 [color=DarkGreen] Hey thanks y'all. Honestly I didn't really expect anything less than what you said, I figured it was a scam. I know I'm really not a good writer and the simple fact is there is no way I'd be published so I laughed at it. Well thanks again.[/color]
Dead Alice Posted August 20, 2004 Posted August 20, 2004 I hate poetry.com. I've gotten tons of those notices. If you want a nice site that will feature your poetry and actually let others comment on it (and not scam you), try creative-poems.com. (and it's free!)
DetectiveMikeRS Posted August 20, 2004 Posted August 20, 2004 Don't trust famousepoets.com either, I sent my first song there and it got put in a book, but I'm still waiting for it, and I got my girlfriend a copy of it since the song is for her and it's one of my Christmas gifts to her. If I don't get it that's 200 dollars down the drain, and I'll call Help Me Hank from 7 news.\ I'd suggest [url]www.fictionpress.com[/url] they're not the best, but they're good, I like them at least. And since fanfiction isn't allowed there, use [url]www.fanfiction.net[/url] for those. I like fictionpress better but for fanfiction it works for me. Just my opinions.
Sara Posted August 23, 2004 Posted August 23, 2004 [size=1]What Balmon said. I sent something in as a joke, and they're still sending me notices asking me to order a book. Which, while flattering, isn't worth my money. *laughs softly* It's also strange, because my poem was extremely lighthearted, and it would seem very out-of-place amidst all the others I'm sure they have. Not to mention that it really didn't go with the somber title of the book.[/size]
Guest Maki-Bakura Posted August 23, 2004 Posted August 23, 2004 [QUOTE]Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows if poetry.com is really a trustworthy place or if its just one giant scam.[/QUOTE] I submited some work to poetry.com and it was good for a while. I got some works published, but then they keep wanting to submit stuff for them to publish and then buy their 50 dollar books I never get anything back. It is just one big junk mail scam. You have a good poem. Send it some where else them Poetry.com. ~Maki
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now