OtakuBoards

Overused anime stereotypes!

Bloodseeker

Pretty self explanatory, I think. List anime stereotypes that you think are overused or just plain stupid.

[b]The abbusive anime girlfriend...[/b]

I really hate this one. Do Japanese men generally find abbusive women attractive or something? Sure they have that here, but it usually takes the form of a really small and generally shunned hobby called S&M. If my girlfriend smacked me in the head with a mallet for a non-offense like not being a complete asshole to/completely ignoring another girl or not going to the grocery store, I'd have her sorry *** arrested... on a good day. On a bad day, the mystical might of the baka hammer might just fall into the hands of a male for the first time in history.

[b]The all powerful teenager protagonist and friends...[/b]

I wouldn't mind this idea if it were an occassional thing, but most action anime stars a group of teenagers. Because we all know that teenagers are going to have their hidden powers closer to the peak than those that have had a few more years to refine them. You'd expect someone that's had time to fully learn their powers and develope strategies for using them to lead the assault against whatever dark organazation or kingdom is stirring up trouble. Instead, the adults always take the back seat and are always somehow weaker and less capable than their younger counterparts.

I could keep on going, but I need leave some for you guys to list!

Yeah, abusive girls are really irritating. I mean, it's never cute and almost never funny. And if you reversed the situation it would be completely offensive--not that it isn't offensive to begin with. Hardy har har, he got his *** whipped by a [i]chick[/i]!

...No. Just no.

One thing I strongly dislike about mecha anime--well, serious mecha anime; this isn't really an issue with the lighter & more comedic shows--is how the lead character inevitably whines and moans and gets all pacifistic about having to pilot [insert robot's name here].

In most cases that's basically a realistic reaction, but it seems to play out the exact same way in practically every show. So I always appreciate it when a mecha series quickly leaps past that stage.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1][quote name='Dagger]One thing I strongly dislike about mecha anime--well, serious mecha anime; this isn't really an issue with the lighter & more comedic shows--is how the lead character inevitably whines and moans and gets all pacifistic about having to pilot [insert robot's name here'].[/quote]Gundam Zeta.

Hrm. Reminds me of characters who were really great in their field of expertise. Everything was going swell until find characters better than them show up. Then they go into this (choose applicable):
a) inconsolably depressed phase;
b)latent-anger-gets-released phase;
c) catatonic vegetable stage.

These usually were the great characters with extremely agreeable dispositions. Losing those personalities can incredibly dull the story down (though the amazing ways they recover are worth seeing)..[/SIZE][/COLOR]

guy meets robot girl who is clueless and he thinks shes not and will be able to do all sorts of stuff, turns out to be braindead with a learning disability

-or-

guy meets alien girl who is clueless and he doesnt like aliens but takes her home anyways while intending the whole time to leave her somewhere

i wanna read Yotsuba&

Yes, there are so many anime stereotypes.

1) Little annoying kids in high school or college, or otherwise geniusified. I.E. Fushigi Yugi: Chihiro - "I am smart. Sometimes. The end."
2) 'Amazing boyfreind' with perfect looks and a dark past. Usually boring. I.E. Alice 19th: Kyo - "I love you. My dad hit me. I'm angry. That is the extent of my personality."
3) The annoyed, pissed off person who is really sweet inside. Usually agrevating as crap. I.E. Fruits Basket: Kyo - "Shut up! Grr!"
4) The stupid heroine who is constantly saved by her boyfreind. I.E. Fushigi Yugi: Miaka - "Help me Tamahome! Someone is trying to rape me! Again!"

I guess those are more from girl's animes. Oh well.

[COLOR=#95005e][SIZE=1]Since Kyo's already mentioned, why dont we throw in Yuki as well?

[b]The aloof bishounen who cannot relate to other people[/b]
Let's see...We've got Kuraki from Yakumo Tatsu, Yuki, CCS's Li Syaoran and Kurosaki Hisoka of Yami no Matsuei. Even FF8's Squall falls into this stereotype! Yep, yep. Very cute.[/SIZE][/COLOR]