OtakuBoards

Air Pollution Problem

SunfallE

[QUOTE=SadBlue]Somthing I've always wondered... Did you know that the Electric car pre-dates the petrol one? 1835-39 was when the first car built to run on Electricity was built. Now this is where things get wierd. Why in the **** would a car like that be completely frgotten by the rest of the world? Just imagine if the Electric car had been the focus instead of the combustion enhine. Just imagine. We wouldn't be in this crisis, we wouldn't be suffocating to death on our own waste, we wouldn't be fighting wars over oil.

Oh, and Wal-Mart is rather smart to do that... Although I still don't advocate the large one-stop-shop places, because they screw the little guy and force people to drive even further away from where they were because now the generalstore/independent grocer is out of business. Furthermore, it hurts the local econamy.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of sad actually. It certainly won't be the frist time a different technology didn't become recgonized or even made until later. I mean the basic computer was invented well over 50 years before any were actually built. So imagine how amazing they would be if the idea hadn't been ignored for over 50 years. I forget the exact year, but I remember learning about it in one of my computer classes.

As for Wal-Mart, I do agree that they hurt the local economy. However a lot of the independent stores are very expensive to shop at. In my home town there is only one and they take advantage of that to really jack the prices up. When I am on the road I usually do end up shoping at Wal-Mart. But that's because most towns have restrictions on where you can park a SemiTruck, so I'm limited in where I can go. Not to mention most places just aren't set up to handle a vehicle that size. When I deliver to a place like Wal-Mart it's a lot less fuss to just get what I need before I get back on the road.

Also, it's not an issue for me anymore, but I've had times in my life where if it wasn't for welfare I would have had nothing to eat. I know many families who use places like Wal-Mart or other big stores as it makes feeding their family more afordable. There are some who simply don't have the extra money to shop at an idependant store.

But that too is sad as such companies contribute to the growing pollution problem in our world. I think that is another factor that contributes to the problem. So many people are only able to take care of themselves and lack the resources to be able to help solve the problem. I mean electric cars and hybrid cars cost more than regular ones do. In fact I only know one person who has a hybrid car. And I haven't seen very many on the road either.

I hate air pollution! I've got allergies and I'm allergic to a lot of air pollutants. :animeangr I try to help by recycling, but it's hard as there isn't much in the way of programs where I live. You have to sort it yourself, pack it in bags and then drive down to drop the stuff off. And the city doesn't take very many things to recycle. So I end up throwing perfectly recycable stuff away. :animesigh

[quote name='Aaryanna']I hate air pollution! I've got allergies and I'm allergic to a lot of air pollutants. :animeangr I try to help by recycling, but it's hard as there isn't much in the way of programs where I live. You have to sort it yourself, pack it in bags and then drive down to drop the stuff off. And the city doesn't take very many things to recycle. So I end up throwing perfectly recycable stuff away. :animesigh[/quote]

That's true where I live as well. I'd love to see more places implementing better recycling programs. Or at least even having one in the first place.