OtakuBoards

The Ripper Program

missrelena

Geni could tell that Dante wasn't comfortable in the crowd of people that had streamed into Eclair's "modest" ballroom. For something that had begun as a simple dinner party for close friends, this soiree had become almost too much for the walls of their hostess's home to hold. Being bumped and jostled in the hallways was bad enough, but the mental thought commotion was even louder in Geni's skull then the audible chattering was to her ears.

Geni really couldn't complain, though. Eclair had gone to great lengths to bring everyone together for a happy holiday celebration. Holly, evergreens, and ivy festooned the walls and cinnamon from the abundant wassail filled the air with a cozy fragrance. The small orchestra was playing a mix of carols and popular new dance tunes for the younger set to expend some energy to. Everyone, even their thoughts, seemed bright and cheerful. . . except Dante.

Geni leaned to his ear so he could hear her speak. "What's troubling you?"

[I]The Black Hole of Calcutta didn't hold so many people as this.[/I] he complained mind to mind.

[I]If you're feeling closed in or stuffy, we can move to somewhere with more fresh air.[/I] she offered.

[I]No we can't. That's part of my problem. Ariana pulled me aside a while ago while you were dancing -- of sorts -- with Rufus.[/I]

[I]That was quite an adventure. I must say, for needing a cane, he waltzes quite well.[/I] At the time, being asked by Rufus to dance had been a surprise. She had enjoyed his blatant attempts at melodramatic gallantry, but now she began to feel that their might have been some ulterior motives behind the lord's actions. [I]So what did Ariana say?[/I]

[I]She warned me to be on my best behavior. No random walks alone with you, not even onto the veranda for fresh air. No holding your hand if we weren't dancing, and no . . . as she put it "jealous tom cat hissing and yowling" if your time should happen to be taken up by another gentleman. I have never hissed like a cat in my life![/I] Dante was indignant.

Geni was hard-pressed not to giggle out loud at the scowl on his face, but she managed to keep her composure -- barely. [I]Well, now that I think of it, Ariana is right. We're trying to convince society at large that my reputation is as pure as new fallen snow, and not as trashy as some of the rumors would have people believe. We can't set one foot out of place if we want to keep our invitations to the Queen's Ball valid.[/I]

[I]That's another point. I still say we received that invitation all too easily. I'm suspicious of it all.[/I] Dante didn't want Geni to agree with Ariana. He hated feeling restricted -- especially where his private life was concerned. Since he had been 'warned,' he had been in a foul mood.

[I]We've all been over that from every angle possible. There is no way anyone could have premeditated out meeting Mrs. Islands at that dress shop, or the way she took a sweet liking to me. None of us, not even you, could find a way for Jack to have manipulated that outcome.[/I]

[I]I still don't like it. And I don't think Ariana and Eclair have the right. . . [/I]

[I]Dearest, they have every right. Now dance with me.[/I] She held her hand out imperiously.

[I]Now? Why?[/I]

[I]Because I want you to hold me, and I need a legitimate reason for you to do it.[/I]

Dante sighed and shook his head, but took Geni's hand and led her onto the floor without comment.

Eclair managed to make her way through the crowds to Ariana and Rufus, a task she had been trying to accomplish for nearly an hour. Her friends were holding hands and watching the festivities from two chairs on the sidelines. She sat next to them and cooled her face with a delicate lace fan.

"So, how are you enjoying yourselves?" She asked them.

"There is quite a lot of hustle and bustle, but we're having a good time, nonetheless." Rufus answered, a twinkle in his eyes as he glanced at his wife. "I even managed to dance once or twice."

"Twice." Eclair confirmed. "Once with Ariana and once with Geni. I wager Dante didn't appreciate that too much."

"He lived with it." Ariana smirked.

"Did you pass along our message to him?" Eclair asked her friends.

"Yes, I did. Rufus played decoy for Geni while we talked." Ariana nodded.

"So that's why you asked her to dance! I had wondered. I was even beginning to feel a touch jealous that you hadn't asked me yet, but now all is forgiven." Eclair teased the lord. "So, how did our dark one take the message?"

"He lived with it." The three chuckled, then watched as the two of whom they spoke joined in with the dance. They looked so sweet together, but when Dante noticed them in their chairs, his expression was far from merry and bright. They heard Geni laugh with delight when she saw what he was scowling at. The young lady shook her head at her beau with a smile on her lips. Then they swirled back into crowd of dancers.

"Looks as if Dante will have a good time, whether he wants to or not." Rufus chuckled. "Now, if I'm not mistaken, it seems that Sir Nathan is seeking you, Elcair."

The evening had gone splendidly. No rukus or riot had spoiled the party. No insane killers rushing at any of the guests. And Dante had managed to mind his P's and Q's the entire night. [I]Wonders will never cease.[/I] Eclair thought.

Her staff was busily cleaning up after the guests. They had handily avoided any major disasters despite the crush of people. Darian was to be congratulated, and the entire house staff deserved a big Christmas bonus for all their cheerful help. The only guests left were of the group. Nathan and Sir David, Ariana and Rufus, Geni and Dante. David and Rufus were conversing over the last few weeks of quiet from their adversary while Ariana and Nathan listened in. Dante and Geni sat in a corner, her head tiredly resting on his shoulder.

"They really are quite sweet." Eclair smiled as she joined the other lords and lady.

"The severed ears?" Sir David asked, appalled. She had obviously made her comment at an odd moment in the conversation.

"No, your daughter and Dante." Eclair laughed in a hushed voice. Covertly the group tuned and gazed at the two dozing in the chair.

"He put up with all our strictures remarkably well, I think." Ariana agreed.

"I think a large portion of that had to do with Geni." Nathan grinned.

"Still, I think we should give him some recompense for good behavior." Eclair murmured. Using her powers, she plucked a small bough of mistletoe from a nearby wreath with her mind and held it suspended above Geni's head.

[I]Dante, look above you. [/I] Ariana prompted softly in his thoughts.

Rousing from his doze, he followed the suggestion. Spying the sprig, he glanced over his shoulder at the others and graced them with a half-smile before tuning back to Geni and waking her with a gentle kiss.

"Now if only the ball next week can end as happily." Rufus mused, echoing everyone else's thoughts.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The friends had all said their goodbyes and goodnights for the evening, and those who had seperate houses to go to boarded their carriages. But not before Rufus could corner Nathan, and not even upon Ariana's suggestion.

"My boy." Rufus started, nathan raised an eyebrow at the "boy" comment. "We all know how much you fancy Eclai.... and well... " he glanced at Ariana who was talking with Eclair animatedly. "... don't you think you should do somthing about that before anything possibly happens to either of you?" He wasn't joking in the least, infact Rufus was wearing a face more serious than Nathan had ever seen on the man. "I don't want you to feel like we're intruding, I just want you to know that we, being Ariana and I, want you two to see some sort of happiness before everything falls into what ever place it chooses." Nathan was half listening as he glanced over his shoulder to look at Eclair. She was obviously tired from the evenings event, but happier and more radient that she had looked in months. He smiled, and she glanced over catching his eye before going back to Arianas story. "Do you understand what I'm trying to say?" Rufus asked, leaning slightly more on his cane than usual... he was tired as well. Nathan looked back to Rufus, and gave him a small smile.

"I think I do Rufus. Thank you for your words and your concern, and thank Ariana for me." Nathan replied gratefullly. He really did appreciate what they had to say. "I suppose you are right."

"Very well then.' He clapped Nathan on the shoulder. "We'll be seeing you with in the next day or so then I presume. It seems not a day goes by without a meeting of one of you these days. Its nice I must say." He took a few steps in the direction of Ariana and Eclair. "You have a good night Nathan."

"You do the Same Rufus." He waved slightly as Rufus turned to finish his short walk over to Ariana.

Nathan watched as they exchaged words with Eclair and then they said their goodbyes, and were off for the night.

Ariana and Rufus were almost home when Ariana finally spoke up.

"Rufus."

"Yes dear." He blinked back into reality, he had been dozing a moment ago.

"I want you to promise me somthing." Rufus hated it when she started a conversation with that line. It always made him worry.

"Anything Ariana, you know that." He smiled.

"Promise me that whatever happens at the Queens ball that you won't put yourself in harms way. I don't care what they situation may be. I don't want to risk loosing you."

"And what of yourself? You're allowed to risk your life, and I'm not. I'm not sure what I think of that." Rufus didn't like the idea, but he also knew that she simply didn't want to experience almost loosing, or in her case actually loosing another husband.He gave her his gentle smile. "But, I suppose.... I understand, and I promise to do my best. Just promise me...." He paused a moment, almost to compose himself, the thought of loosing her wasn't one he dealt with well. "... you'll come home with me that night." Arianas smile returned to her lips, that same smile that always said that everything would turn out in the end.

"I promise." She took her husbands hand in her own, and he lifted it to grace it with a kiss. "Well, now that thats said.... I feel like we can take on anything Jack has in store for us."

OOC: Yay for sappiness. Okay, I really have no excuses, accept for one.... I've been in and out of the hospital alot lately and honestly this is just the last thing I think of, so sorry about the long wait. Oh and Natchan, theres your hint that somthing totally needs to happen between Eclair and Nathan, I wanna see them be happy and hook up! Go Go Go!

• 1 month later...
The carriage ride home for Lord David, Geni and Dante went smoothly. Warm blankets were tucked up on their laps, and a quiet comfortableness filled the air. Geni was again snoozing, her head on Dante's shoulder.

Lord David leaned forward toward the young man and in a hushed voice he asked, "So, despite the 'rules', did you have a nice time tonight?"

Dante raised an eyebrow. "So you heard about them, did you? To be honest, yes, we did. But I really don't think I needed to have all those restrictions forced on me. I'm not a complete idiot, you know."

"I am quite aware of your intelligence. Now, I have to ask you another question." David took another breath, then whispered, "What are your intentions toward my daughter?"

Dante was taken aback. "Honorable, sir. They're very honorable."

"Then I have a challenge to you." Lord David's quite voice grew intense. "Prove it."
With that, David leaned back and effectively ended the conversation. Dante didn't know what to say after that, anyway.

OOC: More filler, I'm sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
After Éclair had seen all the guests out, and said her farewells for the evening she found Nathan quietly sitting in the ballroom. He smiled as she entered standing to greet her. The servants hadn't yet come in to begin cleaning yet.

"Theres the lady of the night." He replied as she approached, taking both her hands in his. She smiled. "Do you know how hard you are to find in a crowd of people?"

"Whatever do you mean? I was everywhere tonight." She looked only slightly confused at his statement.

"Everywhere but with me." He added. "I tried to dance with you all night, and never found you for more than a moment."

"I am sorry... " She could feel blush touch her cheeks, she had realized that she'd managed to ignore the one closest to her. Nathan placed their hands as if readying for Waltz. Éclair raised an eyebrow, and a smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

"I prefer it this way anyway... I'm not much of a crowd person." His eyes were especialy gentle as he spoke.

"But theres no-- " Before Éclair could finish her sentence, music began. Nathan asked to musicians to stay a short while longer, and they were kind enough to oblige.

"I would wait till the end of the world if I had to." He replied quietly as they began to dance. There movements were slow and graceful. There was no speaking as they danced, there didn't need to be. Nathan had been faithfully at Éclair's side since the loss of Edward, and they had reached a point beyond words. There had been hard times, sad times, happy times, and painful ones, but as far as the both of them could tell... the other wasn't going anywhere.

When their dance ended, they did not part, nor did they move as the musicians made their exit. Then after what seemed like an eternity, Nathan spoke.

"Eclair... I..." Nathan was fighting to find his words, though he knew exactly what they were, and Éclair's heart jumped in speed. He brought a hand up to cup her cheek in his palm, and took a step closer. "I..." Before either of them even knew what was happening, Nathans brushed Éclair's as he spoke. "...love you." There in the dimness of a faded party, mistletoe hanging about them, they kissed there first kiss.

After their lips parted, they still remained close. The both of them smiling.

"I've been waiting a long time to here you say that." Éclair replied quietly. "And I want you to know Nathan... that whatever happens at the Queens ball. I love you."
Nathan brushed a single fallen tear from Éclair's cheek.

"We are both going to live through this, and after that... " Now the moment that not even Éclair Éclair had expected. Nathan bent down to one knee reaching inside his jacket, and pulling out a small glistening ring. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes." She answered without a moments hesitation.

OOC: There you go folks, theres the fluff that we've been waiting for with these two! Yay! Moving on! Go!

• 1 month later...
The days flew by in a blur. Between the holiday preparations and various evening engagements, there was hardly a moment to catch one's breath, let alone become pensive over a looming doom. It was difficult not to catch the festive spirit, particularly after Eclair's happy announcement. She was all aglow, not letting any gloom hang over the idea of her future happiness. Even her fainting spells seemed to lessen in duration if not frequency.

Before Geni could believe it, the Queen's Ball was to be the next day. Christmas Eve was nigh, bringing Father Christmas, Midnight Mass . . . and Jack. The gowns were finished, the details prepared, and all was ready -- at least Geni hoped it to be so. One could never really be ready for an encounter with Death taken form.

OOC: Just a bit of filler to move the story forward. Where did everyone go? (:animecry: sniff)

• 3 months later...
?Geni dear.? Ariana?s voice brought Geni back from her spaced out thoughts of the upcoming evening.
?I?m sorry Ariana, it seems I lost myself for a moment.? Geni replied setting down her the tea cup she had been holding. Afternoon tea had been Éclair?s idea, she knew that things were coming down to an end, but she didn?t let that darken the mood. She had been in the brightest of moods since Nathan had finally proposed to her. In the most romantic of ways she could possibly think of.
?I?d know that face anywhere, you were worrying about tomorrow weren?t you?? Éclair asked before taking a sip.
?I believe you know me to well Éclair.? Geni gave a soft smile.
?Like a book I?ve read a million times dear.? Éclair winked.
?So everything is in motion now, and all we need is to make it unfold to our advantage. I assume, we?re all ready.?
?As ready as any of us could be of course.? Nathan replied from a few feet away. Him and Dante were playing an intense game of chess, and Dante didn?t look entirely pleased about it.
?I don?t think that we can assume anything when Jack is concerned.? Dante stated, bringing the mood down again.
?Yes, but you don?t have to be so harbinger about it all.? Éclair replied swiftly.
?Why is it everything I say you have a retort for?? Dante asked angrily turning his gaze to Éclair.?
? I could say the same thing about you Dante.? Éclair didn?t even look at the chess board, but gave simple smile of victory. ?Check mate.? She had telekinetically moved Nathans queen into a winning position.
?I think she has you there Dante.? Rufus replied, he had be sitting on the side simply watching the game.
?The only way we?re going to make it through all of this without any casualties is to be absolutely positive of ourselves, without being over confident.? Éclair stated setting her cup down.
?That?s a foolish way to look at things, you might as well offer yourself to Jack with that Attitude.? Dante was sitting back in his chair with his arms folded across his chest now. His eyes averted away from Éclair.

That had been the last conversation about Jack they had that day. Éclair refused to not enjoy there last day before the Queens event.