OtakuBoards

The Ripper Program

missrelena

Geni descreatly placed the letter into her tiny handbag. It barely fit. The silly bag was more for looks than usefulness, but it kept the letter in question out of sight, and hopefully out of mind till Dante could speak with her later. Apparently Dante had [I]not[/I] missed her inadvertant broadcast. Geni wondered who else might have picked it up. Hopefully not anyone who would not just dismiss it as a strange dream.

Not long afterwards, lunch was served. They were guided by thier hostess into a grand dining room with a huge oak table centered in it. The food spead out across it looked sumptious, more fitting a large gathering than a small visit. It was painfully obvious that Lady Eclair was extremely wealthy. The ate in relative silence, remarking on the weather and upcoming social events inbetween when the quiet got too profound.

Once the meal was over, Eclair ushered them into the front parlor and motioned for them to seat themselves. "Now, describe this assassin to me." the Dutchess said. "Don't leave any detail out. Remember, I was not present when the attack occured. My servant, Darian, is emmensly observant. If this attacker is frequenting any shops near here or the waterfront, Darian is sure to see him -- or at least obtain information about him."

Geni sighed. It was a good idea to set people out looking for the assailent, but somehow she knen instintively that he would not be found so easily. She let Dante go over the details of the man's features, since the lord got a much closer look at him than she did.

"Oh!" she piped up as Dante was wrapping up his description. "The man had a White Chaple Cockney accent."

"How can you be so specific?" Elcair asked her.

"I had a nursemaid from White Chaple when I was young. Her accent was distinct and unforgettable." Geni smiled at the memory, but a small frown began to edge itself in as she realized that the memories she had always treasured might not be true after all. Perhaps her young life was total fabrication. That's what these flashes she kept experiencing was leading her to believe. It was all leaving her very befuddled.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elcair could see the slight distraction in Geni's eyes when she spoke of the maid from White Chapel, she decided now would be the best time to tell them.

"When I met you two last night I had a distinct feeling that I had met you before, this morning I was assured of that when I remembered somthing that seemed like a memory from a completely different life. You both... were there." Elcair made way over to her desk and pulled a door open, then pulled out a long silver chain with a small plate dangling from it. She came back to where they were all sitting and placed on the small table in front of them. "Go ahead touch it, look at it as closely as you would like."

The plate read 0008 Yvo. Dante and Geni both had similar looks of awe as they looked upon the silver plate.

"I would like to think that you can trust me, because whatever we are here for, we're obviously here for the same reason." Eclair stated giving them both a gentle smile. "I have told you my secret now I hide nothing from you."

ooc: sorry this ones short I ran out of time!

Dante stared at the small metal plate on the end of the chain held out by the lady eclair. stealing a glance at Geni, he thought that he could tell that she had seen something similar before.

[I]"Geni, have you ever seen one of those before?"[/I] he sent into her mind. dante glanced sideways at her, waiting for her to invade his mnd with her answer

[B]OOC: this post is short intentionally.[/B]

[I]:You know I have, if you saw my memory flash from this morning.:[/I] she responded silently. [I]:I was wearing one around my neck in it.:[/I]

[I]:But do you have one now? In reality?:[/I] Dante's eyebrows furrowed slightly as he tried to think hard in her direction.

[I]:Well, yes, but --uh--:[/I] She wanted to tell him that she didn't have it with her, but it was impossible to lie mind to mind. [I] :I don't wish to show it to you right now.:[/I]

[I]:Out with it.:[/I] was his unsympathetic reply. [I]:It might have cluse that we need to understand what's going on. I may not trust the Dutchess, but this is something she already knows about. Stop being coy and show it to us.:[/I]

[I]:I am NOT being coy!:[/I] Geni was indignant at the implication that she was only being a tease. "I have one of those as well." she said out loud for all to hear. "The chain was broken when I first remember discovering it. I repaired it as best as I could, but it shortened the chain quite a bit."

Blushing, she raised her skirts to reveal her left shin and boot. This was highly unlady-like and she knew it. On a short chain that wrapped around her ankle, over her boot, shined the metal plate in question. Geni carefully leaned over, mindful of the boneing in her bodice, and unfastened the clasp on the chain. Her skirts quickly recovered her leg, and she held out the necklace-turned-anklet to Dante.

"Mother thought it was tacky, so I couldn't wear it around my wrist where she might see it. But I knew it was important to keep it with me, even if wasn't the height of fashion. If there any any clues held in it, I hope wa can decipher them before anyone else is killed."

Eclair had watched Dante stare at Geni quite intensly and she knew that she was being left out of the loop, but her smile never left her face. She was relieved when Geni revealed her own silver tag, and showed it to the both of them.

"Well then now that we have proof that we all are obviously supposed to meet... what exactly do you propose we do about it?" Eclair asked tking back her own tag and setting it in her lap. Edward walked by the doorway, and Dante heaved a sigh.

"Should we be talking about this out in the open?" He asked frustration in his voice.

"Silly, you needn't worry about my servants. Nothing that is ever said in this house leaves this house.... isn't that right Edward?" She replied loud enough for Edward to here. He came into the room and gave a small bow to the guests and his lady.

"Not a word Milady, nor a hint." He stated.

"Thank you, you may return to your previous affairs." She smiled and Edward left the room as quickly as he had come. "As you can see, there is no lack of trust in this house hold. Every one trusts eachother with their secrets and their lives. Tell me Genieve what are your thoughts on the situation at hand?" There was a pause before Geni replied.

"What if the lives we know... aren't real, but simply.... created." She suggested quietly.

Ariana stepped out of her carriage with the help of her husbands gentle hand and they approached the door of the Dutchess Chamberlayn's home. Rufus extended his pale hand and tapped on the door, then smiled down at his nervous wife.

"I do hope that we aren't interupting anything important, I would absolutely abhor being an inconvenience." She stated quietly as they waited. They both could hear footsteps coming to the door.

"Don't woory about it, your wonderfuly delightful, no one could possibly think of you as an inconvenience." His smile only grew warmer, and Ariana's nerves began to calm. The door opened and a tall elder gentleman appeared, a kind glint in his aged eyes.

"Count and Countess Lancaster, what do we owe the honor of this visit? Please come in I shall tell my lady that you are here." He opened the door wide enough for the both of them to enter the house and he took there coats, then left toward the stting room to annouce their arrival.

Lady Geni had just finished speaking when Darian had entered the room. Eclair turned and smiled.

"Yes Darian?" She asked.

"The Count and Countess Lancaster have come to visit with you mylady. Shall I show them in?" His voice was very frail but offical.

"Absolutely Darian please welcome them in, and bring more tea for them." Elcair answered, her tone hitting the level of excitment.

Moments later Darien led the young couple into the room. Eclair welcomed them in and offered them a seat on the couch which she had been sitting on all by her lonesome.

"Welcome to my home, please sit. What a pleasant surprise, how are you both I haven't been able to speak with you since your wedding." She started as she sat in an arm chair adjacent to the couch which they sat on.

"Thank You for the warm welcome." Rufus replied kindly. "Ariana has been telling me that she had somthing very important to talk about with you Milady." He was polite and cheery, holding his young wifes hand. "But of course if your busy--"

"No these people weere there too." Ariana replied quietly, barely audible to anyone.

"We were where?" Dante asked curiostiy tugging at his interset. Ariana blushed.

"This will sound rediculous." She stated nervously.

"After the conversation we were just having, it can't possibly be any more rediculous." Geni added smiling, seeing that the young countess was nervous out of her mind. She suddenly picked up an inaudible sentence. [I]' You have the same ability as I, don't you?' [/I] The thought was a direct question to geni, but it seemed that Ariana didn't even have to try, not like Dante earlier.

"At the Gala last night I saw you all there, and you were all enveloped in a blue glow, the same as you are now to me. And this morning I had the strangest dream, as if we were all in a different exsitance together. You were all there and we all knew eachother, I know this sounds crazy but I just have to know, do any of you know what it means?" Her voice was gentle and only one step up from silence.

[I]:It's nice to meet someone who has a mutual talent!:[/I] Geni responded to Ariana. The new countesses mind was open like no one else Geni had ever encountered before. Geni had to be careful not to 'accedentally' pick up any stray thoughts from her, despite the fact that they were both shielding themselves from the outside world.

Out loud, for the benefit of everyone gathered, she said, "I am the Lady Genieve, Countess of Salisbury, but please call me Geni. I also attended your wedding, but since I had not yet had my debut, I was back minding the children. You probably didn't see me. Your entire ceremony was breathtakingly beautiful. I hope for a wedding even half so lovely someday." Geni smiled at the Newlyweds. It was terribly obvious that they were totally enamoured with each other. "And the man seated here," she continued, gesturing gracefully to the young man next to her, "is Lord Dante."

"So you saw the blue auras, too?" Dante asked, a slightly curt tone to his voice. "So why didn't you speak with us at the ball last night?"

"Silly, married's rarely have the chance to mingle with the single of society. It just isn't done with much aplomb -- especially at Almack's where everyone keeps detailed notes about who spoke with whom and where they went to do it." Eclair answered for Ariana.

"Besides," Rufus added, "we had just managed to make it across the room to where Lady Geni was when the attacker appeared. Then total pandemonium ensued and you and the sweet young Geni had vanished. I believe someone mentioned that she had fainted and the galant Lord Dante had taken her outside for air, but when we followed you out, there was no sign of you to be seen."

"That was my fault." Eclair said. "I saw them outside and offered them a ride in my carriage. Poor Lady Geni was so distraught, but my duties wouldn't allow me to stay with her. I escourted them as far as Lord Dante's front door, where I turned her over to the gentle care of the lord's housekeeper." Well, that took care of the rumor mills, in case anyone unknown was listening. "I'm sorry my act of chairty made your evening difficult." Eclair concluded.

"Now, what do you remember of your dream this morning?" Geni asked urgently. "If your 'memories' are anything like the flashes I have been having, we might be able to compare notes and find a few more answers to this strange puzzle. At this point, I'm open to a good idea from nearly any source."

[/I]"geni, I do not advise this.[/I] Dante thought towards Geni.

[I]"why not. milord?"[/I]

[I]"I don't trust her"[/I]

[I]But milord, do you trust anybody?[/I] Geni sot him a sidewards glance and a wry smile.

[I]I do not trust her.[/I]

[I]But why, milord? why do you not trust her. she is one of us, one of the blue auras.[/I]

[I]That's precicely it! She has no blue aura![/I]

geni looked at dante, frowning slightly, apparently puzzled.

[I]"What are you talking about?[/I]

[I]she has no blue aura! True, ours have diminished somewhat since the ball, but I can still percieve them! I can detect no aura around her whatsoever![/I] Dante screamed into her mind.

[I]When you have the time, geni, I wish to speak with you alone.[/I]

[I]:Of course, My Lord. I would know your mind and I wish to understand your doubts. Speak freely with me whenever you are comfortable.:[/I] she responded. Geni didn't grasp Dante's reasons for his reluctance to trust the others of their group, but she was sure they were valid to him. He had become more withdrawn, both verbally and with his body language, since the Lady Ariana and Lord Rufus had joined them. Geni wondered at this, and wished she could soothe him somehow. Except that, right now, he didn't look in the mood to be soothed.

"Little Lord, you're frowning again." Eclair teased Dante, trying to lighten the sudden heaviness in the air. "What is troubling you so much this time?"

"You are." he growled. "They are." He gestured at the newly come couple. "This whole mess is. People glowing red and blue, assassination attempts at secure, invitation-only balls and memories of a life I don't understand [I]trouble[/I] me. Forgive me if I have scrimped on pleasantries in lieu of all my [I]troubles.[/I]" Dante stood abruptly and crossed to the front windows, glaring out of them to the street outside broodingly.

Ariana frowned slightly, she hated seeing some one so upset at first meeting her. She felt a hand on her knee and her eyes met Rufus', he smiled his simple smile that said whatever she was thinkg was probaly a good idea. She shyly smiled back and stood, walking slowly toward Dante, as to not startle him, or anger him any further. She stopped about 2 1/2 ft from where he stood, glring at the outside world.

"My Lord Dante, I apologize for your unease. Allow me to explain the answer to one of your questions." The room went silent. [I]'As you can see I am the same as Genevie, I can speak to you through thoughts.'[/I] "I use my abilities to dim down the aura, I was afraid of having someone notice that perhaps I didn't want noticing." As she said this the blue aura which she spoke of came into view. "I do hope that you and I can become friends, though it may take time I can see." Her voice was kind byond anyother and her smile truly genuine as Dante glanced over his shoulder back at the rest of the room.

OOC: Sorry its so short!

"Lord Dante, please come sit with us. Lady Ariana was just about to tell us the details of her dream, hopefully we shall gain more peices of the puzzel through listening." Eclair's voice was kind and Dante could feel a sense of apology in its tone. He still despised this whole situation and felt that nothing could be done by sitting around talking, but no one seemed to agree on that note. He came back to his seat in the arm chair, his mood not lightening in the least. He glanced over at Geni, and she smiled, his nerves loosened just smigen.

"I do apologize for creating such a moment." Ariana replied quietly from her seat, barely audible to anyone.

"Don't blame yourself dear girl, it was I that created Lord Dantes mood to go sour. I afraid that I am a bit of a tease and some people don't enjoy it as much as I. Please do go my dear."

OOC: We're all having short moments aren't we?

Ariana smiled her shy smile and turned her eyes to her hands, which sat in her lap. She then began to speak of the dream, and using her telepathy was able to show every one everything.

The room around them was large and grey, round wooden tables were scattered about and people of all sorts sat at them. It seemed to be a dining room of a sort, for everyone had meals sitting in front of them, which they picked at while in conversation. Ariana could be seen sitting at a table and chatting cheerfully with Geni though they both looked differen, it was some how obvious that it was them. The seemed happy and light hearted as they ate their meal together, laughing at jokes and stories. This is when a man that obviously had to be Dante came over and smiled at the two of them, then pointed over at the far corner. There sitting alone next to a window, sat who everyone guessed to be Eclair. She niehter looked happy nor sad, just alone. Ariana stood and when she did a silver tag could be seen, the name on the tag read Porter 0012. She walked over to the table where Eclair sat, and called out her name. The name she called out was not Eclair, but Helena. The memory ended and everything went dim.

Ariana lifted her eyes to gaze at every one around her, and then spoke. "This is why I had find you all, I was lucky to find you all in the same place at the same time."

OOC: Another shorty, I gotta go to work.

Dante's hand gripped his concealed sword.

"I am sick of all this incessent talk!" Dante roared.

" I don't know wether any of you peole are aware, but there is a maniac out there, with powers similar to my own!! And incase it slipped your mind, It's out to kill people!!"

The others looked stunned.

"milord.." Geni said tentatively.

"we do not mean to decry the importance or the danger of the situation, but without a well formulated plan, there isn't much we can do."

Dante faltred, and sat back down.

[I]"Geni, please allow me to apologise, it was not correct for me to behave as such, but I do not trust these women"[/I]

[I]"not at all milord"[/I] Geni looked at him, slightly puzzled

[I] "when we are out of here, geni. I have something I need to discuss with you, would you please come back with me to the monor?"[/I]

[B]OOC: meh, we all seem to be shortasses today! XD[/B]

Instead of replying to Dante's request, Geni turned to the other three occupants of the room and spoke out loud. "Lady Ariana, I am very grateful to you for sharing this with all of us. It adds another shard to our fractured picture." To show good faith, and to prove what she meant, Geni telepathically shared her most recent memory flash with Ariana, highlighting on the points that were very similar to the dream the lady had just shared with the group.

"Oh, then you've seen the same type of things that I have." Lady Ariana exclaimed.

"Yes, and I find it terribly disconcerting to experience." Geni shook her head, then turned to Eclair. "Dutchess, thank you for your hospitality. I am so sorry to cry off after you have shown such kindness, but I [I]am[/I] quite worried about my mother's welfare. I really do need to check on her and let her know that I am still living on this earth."

"And I'm sure you would have a sweeter outlook on the day if you could change out of last night's ball gown." Eclair smiled knowingly.

Geni blushed and looked down at her rumpled attire. "Yes - uh - that too."

Eclair smirked a sly expression. "Why don't we see if 'galant Lord Dante' would escort the lady home."

"If you had given me the chance, I was about to offer." Dante rejoined. He stood and offered his hand to help her to her feet. Geni took it, and gracefully stood, trying to do her best to show how reluctant she was to leave, but the great honesty of her excuses with her facial expression alone.

"Allow my man to call you a cab." Eclair offered. Dante nodded, and the Dutchess moved to the door and muttered her intructions to Edward. He headed for the front door and Eclair returned to the group.

"I nearly forgot!" Geni started. "My mother is hosting a dinner party tomorrow night and I was supposed to offer invitations during the ball last night. Obviously, I let the whole matter slip my mind till just now. Please, won't all four of you join my mother and I for dinner and some small entertainment tomorrow evening? It won't be anything spectacular, but our cook is quite accomplished. It would also be a wonderful oppertunity for all of us to discuss any new developments or ideas that may come up between now and then. Do, please, come."

After recieving positive answers from all, Geni took out two small cards from her bag, careful to keep the mysterious letter well hidden, then handed both Eclair and Lord Rufus one. "My townhouse address is there." She pointed out. "Appetizers will be served at 8pm and dinner will follow shortly after." She bobbed one more curtsey, then blushing slightly, took the arm Dante offered. He looked as if he wished she would get on with leaving, but said nothing.

"Till tomorrow night, then." Eclair waived at them cheerily.

"Yes, tomorrow night." Ariana echoed.

"Till then." Geni answered, and Dante escorted her out of the parlor and out the front door. He handed her into the cab coach that Edward had waiting for them, hesitated a moment to let her get situated comfortably, then joined her inside. Edward shut the door securly and the cab started off with a lurch.

[I]:Now, My Lord, do we go to my home or yours first? And do you wish to tell me what you need to here or would you perfer us to wait till we're behind secure walls?:[/I] she asked softly in his mind.

[I] "If it does not inconvinience you, milady, I think we should visit your house first. It would give me a chance to see if the attacker has tried to follow up on his failed endevor. It will also give you an oppertunity to change out of that dress"[/I]

[I]"yes. Maybe that would be best."[/I]

[I]"When we get back to my house, yuo will hear what I have to say[/I]

The carriage lurched along the road, seemingly in silence.

[I]"we are not far from my house now, milord"[/I]

[I]" When speaking like this, or not in the company of others who scorn such behavior, the mid-level aristocrats of this country, feel free to call me Dante."[/I]

[I]" Yes milord."[/I]

Dante bburst out laughing, which, despite being completely out of character, was infectious. Given the situation of fifteen minutes ago, the unexpected and out-of-character laughter was a welcome change.

Dante's laughter cut off abruptly as they turned down a long drive lined with magnificent elm trees.

[I]"you live here?"[/I]

[I]"I do Indeed"[/I]

[I]"I have a bad feeling about this...[/I]

[I]You have a bad feeling about everything![/I] Geni glanced sideways at dante as she gigled softly. Dante, unable to keep the smile off of his face, opened the door of the carriage

[I]"SEriously though, be on your guard"[/I] Dante thought as he offered his hand to Geni, to help her down from the carriage.

[I]We shall see...[/I] Geni thought as she took his hand.

DAnte escorted her to the door, Tightly gripped his hand around his concealed sword, and knocked at the door.

The door was yanked open from inside with a frustrated force. "The Lady is not accepting callers." the butler growled, as if he had repeated this sentance far too many times for his liking.

"Not even me, James?" Geni asked playfully.

"Good heaven Miss, with a the bruhaha that had been going on today, I did not even recognize you. I do beg your pardon." James apologized, and managed to scrape up a bit of dignity as he opened the door wide and stepped aside to let the Lord and Lady in.

"How is my mother this morning?" she asked the man.

"In vapors, but I really cannot blame her." he answered with a slight roll of the eyes.

"Too true. Well, I guess I'd better fasten down my armor and brave the mother of all dragons." Geni smirked prettily.

"Wouldn't that make you a dragon, too, Milady?" James retorted.

"Why, yes. I believe it would." With that she gripped Dante's arm and led him up the front staircase.

"Your man is rather informal, if you don't mind me saying so." Dante observed.

"James changed my diapers. I've known him all my life. At times, he was the only shoulder I had to cry on. My parents were parents more by blood than as part of my life. You could call James my de facto father if you wish. He usually seems more like a father to me than my actual father does."

"I think I can understand that." he said. By this time they had reached the top of the stairs. The first door on the left was shut tightly, but voices could still be heard mumbling through the wooden surface.

"She certainly is in high dugeon today." Geni warned. "Prepare for the worst, but with you here, I shall hope for the best. Mother is usually better behaved before guests." With that, she took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Genieve! It is about time you returned home! My heart has been fluttering and pounding with worry over you." Like a matron from a Jane Austen novel, Geni's mother was sitting in her room, moaning, pouting and ordering the servants around like a wild banshee. She may have deserved a few vapors, but her mother certainly pushed it beyond the reasonable limit.

"Do forgive me, mother." Geni said, putting on the most repentent face she could muster. " I have been out, doing my best to put to rest all the rumors that the nosey neighbors of the ton have been wildly speading about last night. Why, I even heard one lady say that you had been slain last night and were now haunting Almack's ballroom. Could you imagine what would happen to your social standing if I allowed rumors of you being deceased to run wild?"

"Good hevens! What horrors!" her mother exclaimed. "You do me credit to think of my welfare, but did you actually go about town in that rumpled rag of a dress?"

Geni blushed deeply, but Dante jumped in to her rescue. "She did not think of herself, milady, but only of you. Why, she even visited the Dutchess Eclair today in this attire to be sure that everyone knew of your good health. You are of course aware that what Lady Eclair knows, everyone knows."

Geni shot Dante a reproving glance. Even though the lady was not present to know of the jab, Eclair had been kind to her, and Geni did not feel that she deserved a reputation as a gossip, as her mother most certainly was.

"Mother, allow me to re-introduce you to Lord Dante. He was the man who took such kind care of me after I collapsed from the shock of your attack. He has been most attentive to me, making positve that I was never away from any chaperone for any ammount of time. Isn't he just the image of a saving knight? Most heroic of all heros." Geni turned to look again at Dante mid-gush, and winked impshly. A little payback for laughing at her 'milord' slip in the carriage was due.

"Yes, most Galahad of you, I must say." her mother added. "We must thank you properly."

"I have invited him and three other aquaintences to the dinner party tomorrow. I hope I have not overstepped myself in doing that." Geni told her.

"No, no. Not at all. But Geni, dear, we have not been able to return to the dressmakers to pick up your dress. You would think with the prices they charge, they would deliver. And the outrageous police will not let me leave the house in case the attacker comes back. Of all the nerve!" her mother whined.

"Not to worry, madam. It would be my honor to escort Lady Genieve to the shops so she might be well prepared for your fete. Besides that, we have been invited to a dinner party this night. Would I be too remiss to ask your permission to be her partner to there?" Dante offered almost too sweetly. Geni had troubles keeping a grin off her lips.

"Will there be proper chaperones there? You are a touch young to be my daughter's only supervision. You are male, after all." her mother replied.

"I swear on my soul that there will be elders of good standing at the party." He galantly bowed over the lady's hand and smiled a smile that Geni knew had been painted there and was not honestly felt. Her mother, at least, was fooled.

"Then all is good. I am glad you are making such successes in your social standing so soon in the season, Genieve. Now, go change out of that rag and into something appropriate. Heaven knows what society thinks of me for allowing out out in public dressed like that. I shall send Mary to you to help you dress." That was a dismissal if Geni had ever heard one. She curtsied and Dante gave a slight bow and they left the rooms, shutting the door tightly once more.

"If you would go down to the front parlor to wait, I shan't be more than a few moments to change. Then you can tell me all about this party we have been invited to." She smiled, then wisked away to her own rooms. Dante decended the stairs and went into the appointed room to wait.

True to her word, Geni wasn't more than twenty minutes, but the change was complete. Not one strawberry curl was out of place, nor one lace loose. She had changed into an emerald green gown that complimented her looks perfectly. She still carried her small bag from the night before, but other than that, no trace of the bedraggled and sleep deprived debutante remained. Dante looked a bit startled at her transformation, but he did not disgrace himself by letting his mouth hang open or anything else of that silly nature. He offered her his arm, and James opened the front door for them with a small wink and smile. The cab they had used earlier had been replaced by a fancy hack with matching bay horses. Mother had certainly ordered up the apropriate best for the occasion.

Once they were seated and off back toward town Geni seemed to relax. [I]:I'm sorry if I seemed glib back there, but something about that house has always given me chills. I think it is because it is so old, but I'm not sure.:[/I] Geni apologized in Dante's mind. [I]:Now, tell me about this party. Who is going to be there and why haven't I heard of it before this?:[/I]

[I]:The dinner party includes you and me at my manor. You haven't heard of it before because I just came up with it. It gave me the perfect excuse to get you out from under your mother so we could talk for the evening. Do not worry, I will keep my vow. My housekeeper will never be far. You will be completely chaperoned.:[/I] he thought back at her, taking shrewed delight in her shock at his confession of inventing the party.

[I]:Well, whatever works. Now, on to your manor and on to whatever it is you wish to speak to me about.:[/I]

Elcair waved as the carriage rolled out of sight and around a corner, she then turned back to the young couple, a smile spread across her lips.

"Now you two must come in and tell how you have been since your wedding. I've been dying to know." Elcair exclaimed happily enviting them both back inside. They walked back into the parlor where Darian had fresh warm tea ready and waiting for them. The couple sat across from Eclair and her smile only widened.

"I remember being a newly married bride." She sighed. "Vincent was such a wonderful man, and I was so lucky to have him as a husband. There was this one time that we were hosting a dinner party and he managed to dump an entire plate of food on one our guests. He turned the brightest shade of pink, it was absolutely adoarble. You two remind me so much of ourselves." Her smiled faded fot only a moment then she glanced up at the young couple.

Arian smiled her sweet smile, she felt sympathy for the young dutchess. She had remembered her husband, and how perfect they were for eachother.

"Dutchess may I ask you a question?" She asked politely.

"Only if you call me Eclair in my own home." She stated happily.

"Of course... Eclair. I was confused as to why Lord Dante is so bitter to the both of us, is there something that I'v done? Have I offened him in any way?" Ariana glanced over to the luxurious fire place as she spoke, it was a black marble accented with the finest dark wood.

"Oh my dear Ariana, you should not take Lord Dantes speakings to heart. It will only confuse you the greater. He is merely the young brash hero of the century, and because of that only trusts the girl that he is obviously falling for." She exclaimed her smile turning to one of mischief.

"You mean the Lady Geni?" She asked simply.

"Absolutely, its all over his speech and actions that I can't possibly imagine anything else. Our goal is to make the poor boy trust us." Elair winked.

"That will be a trick, I haven't seen a young man that stubborn in a very long time." Rufus added in smiling.

Rufus pulled a brilliant golden pocket watch from within his jacket, and checked the time.

"I must apologize dutchess, but Ariana and I have some more buisness to attend to. It has been a wonderfuly pleasant time though, we should do this again sooner rather than later." He relplied standing and assisting his wife up, taking her by the arm. Elcair led them to the door and they said their goodbyes.

"What a fine couple, don't you think Darian?" Elcair asked as she waved at the departing carriage.

"Yes milady, they remind me of another couple I once knew."

OOC: Sorry its short I gotta go to work now!

The carriage pulled into the long drive in silence. Dante's drive was devoid of trees. Instead, pairs of perfectly symmetrical, black obsidian obelisks lined the path at periodical intervals.
Geni stared openly at the obelisks.

"I see you have taken a fancy to my obsidian" Dane said to Geni. she frowned at him.

"It does mke a change for you to use your voice to speak to me. As it seemed to me that you had taken to conversing with me using only your mind".

dante could not think of a proper retort, so resigned himself to aiting in silence, untill the carriage came to a lurching hault outside his manor. Dante Jumped from the carriage, offering his hand to geni as he hit the ground. They strode resolutely through the front door of the mansion, without knocking.

"Now see here! This is the monor of the lord dante, you cannot just come barging in here!" a startled servant near the door shouted, untill he recognised the figure who had entered.

"my lord! forgive me, I -"

" Save it, faustus. it doesn't matter." Dante said to the quivering man.

"I have a job for you. PLease go and get Mistress denna. I have some buisness with the lady geni, Proper manners dictate that my housekeeper must be near at all times."

"Yes my lord, right away" Faustus said as he departed.

"as I promised your mother" dante said, turning back to Geni.

"of course. now what is it you wish to talk to me about?"
DAnte was already walking to a set of large, carved oak doors, without comment. geni followed. The oak doors closed sut behind them.

"Geni, you know that I do not trust the other two..."

"I'm pretty sure that even Herr brakwurst knows that you do not trust those two."

" I have a reason"

"about the blue aura? she told us why you couldn't sense-"
"NO! Not the aura!"

"then what?"

"You are not the only one who can recieve those memory flashes..."

"wha-?"

"I recieved one not too long before the Other one appeared."

WIthout warning, dante fully opened his mind to Geni, letting his reccolection of the memory flash flow into every fiber of her mind.

--

Two people, wearing grey coats, were conversing with peole who looked like eclair and ariana, they were back in the lab.

"..ey must not suceed. it is imperitive that they do not suceed. the ripper program must be executed for our plan to be complete. Keitaro must be eliminated as well, do you understand?"

the peole resembling ariana and eclair nodded silently. the two people in grey handed them both an envelope, and turned away, walking into the darkness of the dimly lit lab.

"you know what we mst do" Ariana said, Eclair seemed reluctant, and declined to comment.

----

"you see now?" DAnte asked Geni.

" I cannot make any sense of this, Dante, I really can't."

"neither can I"

both of them slumped into chairs, pondering for a while.

"geni, do you still have that letter?"

She looked up, puzzled.

"yes, why?"

"I think we're stuck. I think we need some more information.

I think that the time has come to open it."

Geni reached into her small handbag and pulled the letter out. It had the letter "J" in an elaborate script written with red ink on the face of the envelope. The envelope felt unusually heavy, but the lady could not see any obvious reason for the added weight. The wax seal on the back had no identifing marks, just a plain empression. She cracked the seal, and a strange perfume escaped from the letter. Curious, Geni lifted it to her nose and breathed it in, trying to identify the scent.

Dante started to his feet as the young lady's eyes rolled up and she bonelessly crumpled forward, out of her chair and onto the floor. He wrenched the letter from her limp hand and carefully brought it near to his face. One whiff explained everything. It was chloroform. The entire parchment the letter was written on must have been liberally sprayed with it. He knew that even a small dose applied close to the face could knock a strong man out for hours, but Geni had gotten a huge facefull.

Tossing the letter away for now, Dante turned his concern to the girl on his floor. He felt for her pulse and found it, but it was slightly irratic, and not horribly strong. When he checked her breath, he found none. She wasn't breathing. The chloroform had filled her lungs, and because of her corset, Geni's lungs weren't strong enough to force the bad air out. It was suffocating her inside her chest.

He looked around, but saw no help. If he called for the servants to aid him, it would take too long to rally them. Seeing no other option, he tried something he had seen during his travels. He rolled Geni onto her back, pinched her nose, then forced his own breath inside her mouth. Sailors from China said that this could bring a drowning man back to life. Dante just hoped it would work in this case, too. Again, he placed his mouth over hers and breathed for her. He did it four more times before Geni began to cough violently on her own.

Her mind wide open to him, Dante felt her confusion and fear as she fought for breath, then felt her fright subside as she once more passed out from the effects of the drug. This time, however, she continued to breathe on her own.

"Faustus!" he roared.

"Milord?" called a voice from down the hall.

"Faustus!" he shouted again.

The door swang open immediately. The man must have started running the moment he heard Dante's first call. "Yes, Milord?"

"Lady Geni has had a fainting spell. I thought I told you to bring Denna here." the lord snapped.

"Yes, Milord. Denna was helping cook and was covered all over in flour. She is washing up and should be here any moment now." Faustus answered.

"Never mind that now." Dante was in no mood to hear excuses right now. "Prepare the room that the lady stayed in last night. Send Denna to her there."

"Do you wish me to help you carry the lady upstairs, Milord?" the servant offered.

"No." Dante was adamant. "I can manage." Faustus quickly left the room to obey his lord's orders. Dante knelt and carefully lifted Geni's unconsious form into his arms. This was the second time in as many days that he had found himself in this position. Not daring to teleport, Dante carried the young lady gingerly as he acended the stairs. An extremely apologetic Denna met him at the door to Geni's room. He set Geni on the bed, barked a few orders to the girl, then made his way back to the front room.

Covering his mouth and nose with his hankerchief he lifted the letter and removed the parchment from what he could now see was a wax lined envelope. Keeping it as far from his face as possible, he opened the sheet and began to read the red inked writing:

[COLOR=Red]- Welcome Travelers from another Time.

Yes I know who you are, but do you? I do hope that my friend was able to help refresh your fragile memories. After all this wouldn't be near as much fun if you didn't even know who you "really" are. I hope you enjoyed my little joke, and that you enjoyed your tiny naps. Rest is very important when you are trying to save the world. Another thing, I would not let your guard down after this simple attack because I promise you this was merely a tease. I have far better in mind for you, I wouldn't want to let you down. Don't worry your pretty heads, though. I also promise you time. We wouldn't want to be unsporting, now, would we? I won't play again till near summer's end.

Remember, loves, you can run through time to get away from me. But you can't hide.

Sincerely Your Drear Friend... Jack [/COLOR]

Dante was insensed over the 'joke' this Jack had implied that had nearly killed Geni. If only she had let him open it. He began to work himself into a true fury till he realized that he could "feel" Geni in the back of his mind, and she was begining to react to his anger with nightmares. Leaving the letter on the table, he crossed to one of the large bay windows and opened it, letting in fresh air. Breathing deep, calming breaths, he settled his emotions and "felt" Geni relax into a normal, happy dream.

Geni jolted into a memory flash. She inadvertantly took Dante with her as she "remebered" the scene. Without meaning to, she opened her mind completely to the young lord, so she couldn't hide any of her own feelings, even if she had been aware enough to try. . .

She was speaking to Eclair and Ariana. Her gray coverall felt too tight at the collar, but she ignored it. Standing with her was a person she didn't immediately recognize.

"The deadman's switch is built in to the program. I have proof of it. If we try and stop the program in any way, something truely devastating will occur in Victorian England. It could reach a point that London would be completely uninhabitable. The psy-techs must go back to the era. It's the only way to stop it without mass devastation. I know some of the professors want to just cut the program off at this end, but that would absolutely end civilization as we know it. They must not suceed. It is imperitive that they do not suceed. The ripper program must be executed for our plan to be complete. Keitaro must be eliminated as well, do you understand?"

The people resembling Ariana and Eclair nodded silently. I handed Ariana an envelope, and the unknown person gave one to Eclair. Then we turned away, and the other man continued walking into the darkness of the dimly lit lab. I went through the doorway, but turned, hesitating to hear what the women would say.

"You know what we must do" Ariana said, Eclair seemed reluctant, and declined to comment.

"It would break her heart if Keitaro went back in time and then hated it. You know she fears that he will then hate her because this whole time-travel thing was her idea to begin with." Ariana continued. "She's just come out of a horrid relationship. If Jeni thought that Keitaro hated her it would kill her. You know that."

"Yeah, I know that." Eclair said glumly. "But I think we need to be fair and give him the chance at this if he wants it. This is Jeni's personal problem. She shouldn't be holding Keitaro back because she has feelings for him. Especially since the guy doesn't even know about it."

"I guess you're right. Jeni will kill us, but I won't take his name off the canidate list. You and I are the only one with access to the lists before they are given to the big bosses. She won't know till it's too late." The two women turned in the opposite direction from the one I had taken and walked away together. I was hurt at their words, but I knew that they were right.

Geni fell back into a normal sleep, but her concious mind stored away the vision for her to review when she awoke. Dante, on the other hand was wide awake, and had much to stew over.

OOC: I am SO sorry for being late... ^_^' I'll try to do what I do best, and make a dramatic entrance! Hope you don't mind...
------------

Grey streets, grey people, grey city. The city of London was hardly vibrant under the cover of rainclouds. Nathan walked along the street. It was about time to start his shift.

*Ting!* "We need an officer on Elm Street!" A bell and a voice shot through the misty grey.

[i]That's my cue,[/i] thought Nathan as he ran full tilt to the adjacent street. He arrived just in time to intercept a shady-looking man running quickly down the road. His hands were a color. The color red. He was panting, and still holding the knife.

Nathan clotheslined the man, who subsequently fell to the ground. "Bugger!" was the only word the man could utter before he found a long sword poised gently above his neck.

"Who was it this time, Green Roger?"

"None of your-" was all Roger could get out before he realized that his protest was in vain. He sighed.

"A beggar" They said in unison. Roger looked confused.

"How did you-" he gasped, bewildered.

"Magick." Nathan said, sarcastically, as two other, heavier officers appeared with a pair of cuffs and a pistol.

"You're coming with us!" One said, as if it needed to be.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah! Jus' keep this wank of a copper offa me!" Roger protested verbally, but not physically as he was led towards the paddywagon.

Nathan sighed, waiting until they were out of sight. "That was close... I've got to keep a better watch on that..." He touched his head. "Why do I know these things, anyway?"

All of a sudden, he felt a chill. "Huh?"

His mind recieved something from outside. It was simply this:

[i]From Hell,
Jack.[/i]

He shook his head. "What the hell? What's this?" He said, barely audible.

It was then that he heard the clatter of hooves and wheels.

OOC: Just so's someone else can help me in, ya know?

OOC: I guess thats me!

Eclair closed the door gently behind her, then returned to the parlor once again. she resumed her seat, and took up her cup of tea, sipping from it slowly. [I]Why is it that he hates me so?[/I] She thought. [I]Would it be different if he had met me first? Of course not, he trusts Geni because shes young and inexperienced in the world of polotics, So there fore she must be trustworthy.[/I] She set the glass down and looked out the large window across the room. The day had begun to turn dark and grey with the overhanging of rainclouds. [I]All I have done to the poor boy is everything I could do to help. I even welcomed them into my home so that we may discuss the current crisis that is hat hand. [/I] Her thoughts wandered for many hours, though they passed on like moments to her. There was a period of time where Edward sat at the doorway, his eyes fixated on her, never leaving never missing a beat of her pulse, nor a sigh of grief.

her plans for the afternoon had not gone as she would have hoped, in fact they were down right disaterous. Lord Dante's explosive temper didn't help it either, no matter how cool she played it, the young man had managed to hurt her feelings. She grew tired of sitting around moping and decied it would be better for her to get some air, before she had attend the dinner party with the man that hated her so openly.

"Edward." She called quickly.

"Yes Milady." It took him only seconds to respond, for he had already been there.

"Get the carriage ready please." She stated as she headed toward the door where her cloak hung.

"Yes Milady." And he was off preparing the carriage.Eclair sliped on her gloveas and Darian appeared to help her with her cloak.

"Milady is upset?" He asked quietly. She turned and smiled slightly.

"Only frustratted, thats all." She answered. Darian opend the door and led Eclair down the frontsteps and into the carriage. She stepped in a sat down, then looked out the window. For nearly 30 minutes the carriage romed aimlessly, twisting through the streets of london. Then Eclair demanded that the carriage be stopped and she smiled down at a nearby gentleman.

"Hello dear Nathan, out saving the world again are we?" Her tone was playful.

"Good day dutchess, bad day to out and about." He replied removing his hat and bowing slightly, then smiling up at Eclair.

"Oh I fear nothing while you are on duty." She stated, then suddenly the strangest thing happened. Nathan was bathed in a blue aura, the same as the others. she placed her hand over he mouth and her eyes widened.

"Miss Eclair, was it somthing I ----" He stopped in mid sentence, Eclair was glowing blue, she had never done that before.

OOC: Thank you, Natchan. *bow*

IC:

Nathan felt confused. "Miss... Eclair?" He repeated. "There is a..." he began, but silenced himself. He knew that her reaction mirrored his own, and that this sudden change was not one to be openly discussed.

He added the presence of the aura to the long list of things to think about later, and redirected the conversation. "There is a rumor of a thief tonight. "Fingers" James as I remember. He's already taken a hefty sum from a few nobles, and I wouldn't like to see your fair name be put on his list, if you catch my direction..."

Eclair's eyes seemed vacant for a moment, and then refocused. "Ah, yes. Must be going. Maybe you should - ehm... drop by the estate sometme. Then we can discuss the matters of the blue - er - drawing room! Yes, the drawing room! Good day, Sir Nathan!"

Nathan feigned tipping his hat, performing an elaborate bow. "Wouldn't miss it for the world, milady." He smiled, and shut her carriage door for her. "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

Eclair's carriage started up again, Edward at the reins. "Make sure she's home safely, Edward." Nathan gave him a nod, and a curious wink. Then he saw something. Something vast and powerful. It filled his body with an uncanny chill, bringing with it a sense of unbounded dread.

Down the street, not 50 yards away, was a faint, sickly red aura. The mere sight of it smelled of fresh blood. So much, in fact, that Nathan felt that if he were to open his mouth, he would taste it as well.

He was paralyzed. The aura grew slowly, the unusual chant growing stronger and stronger in Nathan's mind.

[i]From Hell, Jack
From Hell, Jack
From Hell, Jack...[/i]

Nathan could not move. The world stood still. He looked at the carriage. He had time to hail Edward, to get as far away as he could, to leave the smell, the taste, the feeling of blood running down his skin...

"Excuse me, Miss Eclair..." Nathan said.

"Yes?" She answered. There was a similar dread coming through her voice.

"How about I take you up on that offer right now? I'm not busy."

Eclair seemed shaken. "Of... course. Come right in."

"Thank you, milady."

"No trouble at all, no trouble at all. Edward? Home."

"Yes, milady" came Edward's unshaken answer.

As the carriage clopped away, Nathan took one last look behind him. He knew only one thing. Two words so clear and solid that they were the only thoughts in his mind.

[i]Found You...[/i]

Nathan's confusion and fright was clear on his face when he entered the carriage and sat across from Elcair.

"Nathan.... you look pale. Are you not feeling well?" Eclair asked kindly.

"You didn't---" He stopped, he didn't want to sound foolish in front of Lady Eclair.

"Nathan what is it? Somthing happened just now, I can tell by looking at your face. Only who has experienced somthing terrifying has a look such as yours." Eclair replied her voice level and steady.

"Just a chill, thats all.... noithing more." He was lying through his teeth and he knew he should tell Ecliar.

"Nathan, only moments ago even now as we speak you are enveloped in a blue glow. From your reaction I suspect that I am the same to you? Am I right?" Her voice had gone from level to almost soothing, calming Nathans speeding heart.

"Yes... do you know what it is?" Nathan asked.

"I do, but we must not speak of it until we reach my home." She stated.

Edward drove the carriage stright home, no longer taking the scenic route as they originally planned. His ears listened intently as Nathan spoke to Eclair, there was somthing Edward didn't like about him. It wasn't that he was a bad man, no not bad infact far from. He was nice to Eclair and she was kind in return. He listened to their entire converesation, never missing a word. His ears were trained to listen to everthing that was inside the house, so listening to them in the carriage was not hard. He heard Eclairs voice change, instead of stricly calm it had becoming the soothing voice that Edward listened for everyday. He waved as a young girl passed by waving excitedly at the carriage. He didn't see, but Eclair waved as well.

Edwards thoughts wondered to earlier that day, when Lady Genieve and Lord Dante were over. He felt his temperature rise as he rememered Lord Dantes outburst. Edward did not approve of someone loosing their temper at his Ladies home, to her face even, let a lone at all. He shrugged it off as they pulled up to the house, Darian was waiting for them and could see Edwards thoughts written all over his face.