OtakuBoards

The Ripper Program

missrelena

The candelabra clutched in dante's hand cast a wavering light over the Stone walls of the Spiral staircase. The strikes of His boots Reverberating downwards, where The weak light of the Candelabra couldn't penetrate. The descent had been arduous, as he was over a hundred feet into the mountain now. It would be worth it in the end. Tonight, Jack would be a problem no more.

Throwing open the Heavy, tick rusted Iron door at the foot of the stairs, Dante stepped out into the cavernous chamber.

"Never thought I'd have to use this place again.." Dante mused aloud as he walked towards a Massive altar of The same black Obsidian as the Monolith Obelisks that lined his drive in london. He set the Candelabra In the middle of the altar. In the middle of an Eight pointed star, which was enclosed within a circle; which in turn was enclosed within a square. The Four corners of the square touched a larger circle, enclosing the whole thing. Eight lines, Originating from the exact centre point of the star expanded outwards, each passing through a point of a star, every other ray Passing through a corner of the square. This was nescessary, he thought to himself. Jack must die.

"I, Dante, Bretherin of the Order, Hereby Invoke the sacred rite!" He bellowed, standing a step and a half back from the altair, head tilted back, towards the ceiling, arms stretched outwards; towards the candelabra sitting on the symbol. The mellow oringe flames dancing on top of the candelabra wavered, and then burst into newfound intensity. Blue fire was dancing where the Mellow orange lights once stood.

"I Invoke the sacred rite of Sealing on behalf of People not affiliated with the order, I Compell thee, take your price of blood, The one so named as simply Jack is not of this world. I challenge thee, O Great Magi. Seal the one Known as Jack."

The blue fire of the Candelabre Grew in intensity. Rising up nd coiling around itself in the air, A vicious Toungue of flame lashed out, Spearing dante through the chest. Searing pain raced through him, But it couldn't knock the smile off his face. The ceremony was working.

Dante Lifted his arms skywards, Beginning a soft chant. The Blue fire rose to coil around him, in time with the chant of the ceremony. He began to move his arms, as if drawing a vastly difficult Geometric pattern in the air, the fire coling up, following his movements, forming the Geometric pattern.

Dante froze.

Something was not right, He couldn't move. A manical, sinister, thoroughly evil laughter ripped through his ears.

A stream of numbers exploded inot his mind, Overwhealming his senses.

The world began to go white as a vision washed over him.

Far off, in a guest room in the castle, Geni awoke in a cold sweat.

-------------------------------------

OOC: Wow. what happens next? you'll have to wait and see :P

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geni sat up in bed, a cold sweat trickling down her spine. Something was wrong. Her father?s thunderous snores emanating from his room down the hall told her that all was well in that quarter, but Dante was another matter. As she set her mind questing for his presence, all she could get was a general feeling of distance and distress. He was feeling angry and confused, at least he was whenever she could get any discernable type of reading from him.

Recalling the flashback she had gone through at Rufus and Ariana?s home and the topic of ?natural affiliations,? Geni decided to attempt to locate Dante by concentrating on ?where? rather than actual thoughts. She took a deep breath and cleared her mind of everything except her desire to find him.

She saw a room of black, with unusual carvings etched into it. Dante was in a heap on the floor before a box or cube of some sort. His hands were pressed to his temples. Geni had never seen this room, or anything like it, anywhere in the castle - and she had believed that she had been shown the entire structure during the fortnight she had been in residence. As far as direction, all she could get was ? down. A long way down. Well, she knew where his ?where? was. . . she just did not know how to get there.

Ignoring her lack of footwear, Geni crossed her room and threw open her door into the hallway. A member of Dante?s staff was seated on a small chair across from her door and looked up into her face with surprise blatant on his. Obviously he did not expect her to be up and about at this hour of the night.

?Where is Lord Dante?? She asked the startled man.

?I ? uh, he?s quite busy at the moment. Do you want me to take him a message when he?s free?? the man attempted to give a helpful smile, but Geni knew when she was being put off.

?Then where is Faustus?? She persevered. Geni knew that something was amiss, and she would not be condescendingly patted on the head and sent back to bed like a good little girl.

?He?s not here.? The man temporized.

?Don?t be impertinent.? She snapped. ?I can see that he isn?t here, or I would not have asked. Now, find one or the other of them. And while you?re looking for them I will be doing the same.?

?But, milady ? you should . . .? He began, standing in an attempt to use his greater height to intimidate her into obedience.

?I am no one?s lady at the moment. Something is wrong, and I demand answers. I am no fool to blissfully be ordered about ?for my own good? when I know there is trouble. Not by my father, not by Lord Dante, and certainly not by you. Now go!? Geni was nearly shouting at the poor soul by the time she had finished her tirade. He backed away from her slowly as her distinct ire became more and more evident. Not wanting to be the focus of such wrath any longer, he tuned and headed down the nearest staircase, figurative tail between his legs.

She hadn?t shown this much temper since she was quite small. Unladylike as it may be, she was not going to ignore the unease and urgency she felt this night, and if a fit of temper was going to get her the help she desired then it was completely justified. She followed the man down the stairs and began a search of her own. She knew there must be a way ?down? that she was not currently privy to, she just needed to find it.

It was several hours later, and Geni was frustrated and exhausted. She hadn?t seen a hint of either man she had asked to see or any clue of a way down past the cellars. She sat in the library pouring over a chart of the castle and grounds that she had stumbled upon an hour or so ago. It was nearly one hundred years old, but castles did not change that much in a mere century, did they? She stared at the chart till the lines began to blur no matter how frequently she rubbed her eyes. Finally, her exhaustion won out and she fell asleep with her cheek resting on her arms atop a small side table.

Faustus cracked a door hidden in a library wall?s oak paneling. The girl had held out longer that he would have given her credit. The fact that she had even sensed that all was not well with Dante was remarkable, considering how arcanely protected that room was. She had even traced him down to a room in the castle that sat directly above where Dante had tried to perform the rite. She really was connected to him, somehow.

The butler sighed and raised an ironic smile. Lord Dante had never before needed to take other?s feelings for him into consideration. This young miss, however, was going to be quite a handful. He located a blanket and gently tucked it around Geni?s shoulders, praying that the kink in her neck from sleeping in a chair would not be too painful when she awoke. Then he returned to the secret door and helped his master and friend to stand, throwing one of Dante?s arms across his shoulders. Together they quietly made their way across the library, Faustus supporting most of Dante?s weight. He softly closed the door to the room containing the sleeping girl and the two of them continued on their way to his master?s bedchamber. He would give orders later that neither of them were to be disturbed till they awoke of their own volition.

It was a crisp and beautiful morning as summer rolled into fall in the city of London two weeks since the group from the future had temporarily seperated. Lady Ariana was ordering the meals for the day with the windows of the parlor slightly open so she could enjoy the rare fine weather when she heard the front bell ring. A few moments later, Yvonne entered bearing a tray with a letter.

?Message for you, Ma?am.? She bobbed a curtsey. ?The messenger did not wait for a reply.?

Ariana glanced at the envelope, then looked at it again, more closely. She covered her shock by taking the letter and politely thanking Yvonne. The maid bobbed again then returned to whatever duty had been interrupted by the messenger. She paused at the door long enough to take a deep breath, then went a quickly as she dared without giving any cause for gossip up to her husband?s room.

?Ariana? You?re pale as a ghost.? Rufus remarked as she entered, eyes wide. ?Whatever is the matter?? Speechless, his wife crossed and held out the letter to him. The letter ?J? was scripted in bright red ink on it?s top. Rufus took the letter from her trembling hands, turned it over and cracked the wax seal.

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Red]Hello Loves,

I hope you have enjoyed your vacation. Made many fond memories, have we? This letter is simply a courtesy to let you know that our reunion is not far off. Do be dears and rally your forces against me. It is always so amusing to see what plots your creative minds can compose.

Till we meet face to face,

Jack

P.S. Heaven forbid you miss my next performance. So, another clue for you ? hickory dickory dock, a mouse ran up the Clock. the clock stuck One, and my fun?s begun. hickory dickory dock.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Rufus looked up at his wife as she read the note over his shoulder. Her hands were trembling and her eyes looked haunted. He took one of his hands in his own and did his best to look reassuring. ?I?ll send for Eclair and Nathan. Why don?t you compose a letter to Geni and Dante, urging their speedy return.? He suggested. Ariana nodded and went to the desk in the corner of the room, grateful that she wasn?t bearing this disaster alone.

Ariana wrote the letter as hastily as possible, she didn't want Dante and Geni to any longer with out know than they already would have to. Though as quickly as she composed the letter she did manage to keep the writing as graceful as ever. She signed it, sealed it and sent for a messenger handing it off with very specific instructions.
Within the hour Eclair and Nathan entered the now familiar bedroom that they had visited many a time. Rufus handed the letter off to Nathan so that he and Eclair may read it.

"It's obvious that our dear friend is up to no good again." Rufus replied sa Nathan handed back the letter.

"Clues are nice, but I find his absolutely irritating." Nathan stated his tone slightly agrovated.

"It is better than hunting blindly though." Eclair added trying to keep Nathans temper down.

"Well I suppose it can't be too difficult this time. If you analyze the letter closely you'll notice two things that stick out." Ariana took the letter from Rufus and held it open for everyone to see.

"The C in "Clock" and the O in "One" are both capitalized when they need not be. Is any one coming to the same conclusion that I am?" Eclair stated.

"Yes I noticed the same thing, and I do believe that this can only mean one clock." Nathan exclaimed.

"The Clock, and the One must be the time." Rufus replied.

"One problem though." Ariana remarked.

"We don't know where precisely, or when. What day, or wheather or not it will be 1:00 pm or 1:00 am." Eclair replied hopelessly.

"So there in lies our obvious problem, where and when as always." Rufus replied sounding frustrated.

"Wheather we knew where or not, you wouldn't be able to attend anyway." Ariana stated reminding Rufus that he was still quite broken.

"How are you by the way Rufus, feeling any better?" Eclair asked kindly.

"I feel like I could run a race..." Rufus paused for a moment. "... and then I try and it ends up disaterous." He was blushing slightly.

"I'm not quite sure I follow." Nathan replied.

"Rufus tried to get out of bed by himself two days ago. Lets just say he got quite the scolding from me and Doctor Lancaster." Ariana jumped in before Rufus could deffend himself.

"Lets just say it was a failed attempt." Rufus stated quielty. "So Brunch anyone, I'm absolutely starved myself."

OOC: All talk and pretty short, sorry about that. :animeswea

Eclair thought for a moment while the others continued to speak, she catch anything they said, but she did find somthing interesting.

"Wait a moment!" She replied quickly, interupting whatever it was they were talking about. "Big Ben would be the clock right, and then the 1:00 could possibly be...Parliament. At 1:00 in the after noon Parliament is in session right across the way from Big Ben."

"Its a long shot, but its a good idea if you ask me." Nathan stated smiling.

"How did you pull that together so quickly?" Rufus asked.

"My late husband was always there." Eclair replied.

"So thats perfect, now we have a firm idea on the situation for when Dante and Geni return." Ariana replied. "Speaking of those two I wonder how they're coming along?" A mischevios smile crossing her lips.

"Dear, it frightens me when you do that." Rufus replied in a jokin manner.

"Sorry, I just can't help but think about those two together, they're perfect." Ariana gave a warm smile.

Eclair and Nathan said their goodbyes and found themselves back in the carriage on their way back to Eclair's home.

"It discomforts me knowing that Jack always seems to know where we are." Nathan replied glancing out the window.

"I believe it makes us all a little bit uncomfortable." Eclair added.

OOC: Short I know but we're getting some where! :catgirl:

• 2 weeks later...
As Geni blearily opened her eyes she felt a slight twinge in her neck. She had definately not spent the night in her comfortable bed. Fortunately, the desperate need to locate Dante and the feeling of disaster had passed. As she focused on her surroundings, she saw the leatherbound books neatly forming rows on the shelves opposite her. She looked at the brown volumes, and then she remembered . . .

Jeni sat across a small table from Keitaro, viewing an illumiated board that was see-through, but still visible to one who concentrated on it. The black and white squares rose vertically before her eyes and outlines of chess pieces littered the board. She mulled over their placement for a few moments, then typed in her move on a keypad.

"What the hell kind of move was that!?" Keitaro demanded.

"What do you mean? I know prefectly well that the horse-guys move in an 'L' shape. You told me that yourself." She replied.

"Yes, but that move just shot any sane strategy completely to Hell." He complained. "And it's a 'knight', not a horse-guy. K-N-I-G-H-T. And bishops are not referred to as the 'pointy-hat-guys' and pawns are not named 'cannon fodder'. Honestly, I don't know why you play this game. I can never guess what strategy you're playing at."

"At least you know who I'm taking about, and I like my names for the pieces better." Jeni defended. "Besides, what do you mean, 'strategy'? How can I possibly plan ahead when I don't know what move you're going to make next. I don't cheat with my abilities - you know that."

"You mean to tell me that you plan your game only one move at a time?" Keitaro was increadulous. "No wonder you hardly ever win."

"If that stinks so much, how come I [B][I]do[/I][/B] win once and a while?" Jeni smirked at the loophole in his logic.

"Pure dumb luck." was his answer. "How on earth did I let you talk me into this game? There I was, sitting in my room, reading one of my favorite books, prefectly happy . . . and now I'm playing chess with an idiot."

"I am not an idiot." The taunt hurt a touch, but she wasn't going to let him know that. "How on earth can you read that stuff?" She eyed his tattered and ancient leatherbound volume. "Which one is this?" She gently picked it up and examined the spine. "Dante's Divine Comedy? Isn't that the one about heaven and the nine layers of Hell? How can that be a comedy?"

"You have no appreciation for classic dry humor. Wasn't there anyone else you could have pestered tonight?" He groused.

"Everyone else was watching the vidscreen. I - uh - I wasn't really interested in what was on screen." She fiddled with the end of her braid and refused to meet Keitaro's eyes.

"Lemme guess. The trial was on and everyone was glued to it." He could tell from her flinch that he had guessed correctly. "What a waste of time. Bobby won't let a telepath scan him to determine his innocence. That's pretty damning if you ask me."

"I guess you're right." She reluctantly agreed. "I just never thought that Bobby would . . ." Jeni trailed off, rubbing the still pink scars on her left hand.

Keitaro looked at her crestfallen countance, then offered, "How about we finish this farce of a game and I take you to that Itallian place you like so much. You can even see if Ariana or Helena want to come with. They're bound to not even have a vidscreen to gawk at. That place is way too pricey for that."

Jeni brightened visibly. "I'd like that." She was quiet for a short moment. "Ariana wants to come, but only if I pay. I think she's still crabby from that last time we went there. I told her she was a sore loser, but that I thought my paycheck could cover it. Helena said she appreciated the invitation, but she has already eaten and has a huge stack of paperwork to muddle through."

"Big surprise there." Keitaro muttered. "Tell Ariana we'll meet her in front of your room in a few minutes, and we'll travel direct."

"Wow. Instant transportation, too? I [I]am[/I] being spoiled tonight." She teased as she sent the message along to her friend.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get used to it." Keitaro shot back.

"Well, Mr. I'm-the-king-of-chess, it's your move." Jeni said with a smile.

Geni shook her head to clear the memory. What trial? Had Bobby done something? She wished her fashbacks didn't leave more questions than answers. Well, at least this one had been of a happy moment. She sighed, stood up, and rubbing her stiff neck, set about looking for either Faustus or Dante again.

-----------
weak, watery sunlight feebly penetrated the muggy gloom of the communal cafeteria. a low hum of conversation reverberated around the sterile walls. There was only one topic of conversation that could be heard, there had been one topic of conversation for a week now: the attempted murder of a Psytech in the records department. The cafeteria was abuzz with feeling, speculations, conspiracy theories and all matter of other things.

"I heard they caught the slimeball who did Kinas in" a male psytech said to the surrounding people on his table; in between mouthfulls of a grey slush.

"Yeah, I heard that It was the guys best friend as well, I heard he went nuts or something"

a light rain began to fall, adding the light rll of thousands of droplets of water throwing themselves against the window to the murmer of conversation.

"Well,is sometime soon. Justice will be served i hope" A female at another table said to the surrounding people.

"I'm not sure though." another femaile said "The accused is adamant that he didn't do it, and one of our strongest telepaths can find no evidence of a memory of the incident."

"There may not be any psy-varified evidence, but I hear tell tehy found damnable DNA evidence."

Five days later, the topic of conversation is still the brutal attack on PSytechKinas tiring.

The trial room had now windows in the sterile steel walls. The Circle of judges sat on a raised dias before the containment cell, where the accused was forcibly held.

The judge in the middle of the row of nine stood.

"Bobby McLeod, you are hereby charged with the Brutal attempted murder of Psytech KInas Tiring. How do you plead?"

the man in the COntainment cell jumped to his feet, hammering his fist against the high tension glass.

"How many times do I have to tel you! I'm innocent! I didn't do it! KInas was my friend!"

"That he was your friend is Immaterial. You tried to kill him, and nearly suceeded."

"That's nonsense, He was my friend! why would I try to kill my friend?"

"Maybe the fact that you hate all Psytechs, Telepaths in particular had something to do with it?"

"What?"

"It is known among your friends that you hate telepaths. Kinas was a telepath. reason enough, in your mind, to kill him."

"I wouldn't kill my friend just because he was a telepath!"

"Really? You broke off your engagement becasue you found out that your future bride was a telepath."

"That was different!"

"Oh really, I don't think so."

"This isn't a fair trial!"

"SILENCE!" the judge roared. "Enter your plea!"

"Innocent." Bobby sighed resignedly (OOC: is resignedly a word? It is now!)

"We, the circle of nine judges will retire to decide our verdict." the nine judges stood, and moved off of the dias into a sideroom to the left.

"oh shit." bobby muttered under his breath to himself, "oh shit oh shit oh shit, I'm in for it here..."

the minutes dragged on, seeming like an eternity. eventually the nine judges re-entered the room, and took their seats upon the dias. The middle judge stood once more

"Bobby McLeod, We the collective of nine Hereby judge you as Guilty of the attempted murder of Kinas Tiring, Psytech Intermediate grade. Under HRV law, there are but two Sentances fit for such a brutal crime. The first is a grade VII execution as stipulated in HRVL00128. THe other option is Psyonic executa - death of the persona, everything you know, feel or have ever been is forcibly removed from your brain. A P&R telepath then hardwires a new, bland personality into your brain, so you may function as a productive 'robot' of our society."

"NO! not that. you keep those damned Psytechs out of my head!" Bobby screamed up at the judges.

"Then you chose the grade VII execution?"

"Just keep them Freaks out of my head! I didn't try to kill kinas, but I wish I had! You freaks have no right to walk the earth!"

"So be it"

The judges stood, and each cast out his left hand, pointing down towards Bobby. The containment cell collapsed, bobby was lifted into the air.

"May Solitar have mercy on your soul"

a ball of dense air was released from each of the judges hands, contacting Bobby at the same time.Bobby let out an almighty scream as His flesh Exploded outwards off of his skeleton. Organs rupturing, skin peeling off, skeleton still screaming.
----------------------

Dante awoke.

THe flashback had been playing through his mind ever since he recieved it after the failed sealing ceremony. Accompanying it had been a message of "As you requested Keitaro.".

As much as he knew it was dishonourable, he had come to realise that his actions in his "other life" were what he himself would have done. He felt a sense of savage pride that Bobby was no more.

"Rest in hell, scumbag" Dante whispered, smirking.

He picked up the package at teh end of his bed, and made his way to the courtyard. The days training had begun.

OOC: wooo. Took me nearly 2 weeks, but I got something up. I do hope its worth it.

OOC: I liked that last post Dante!

All was quiet in the Chamberlayn household, the only people still up were Edward and his father Darian. The two of them sat in the study quietly, Edward was diligently reading, and Darian was writing in his journal. They had sat in silence for nearly an hour when Darian spoke.

"Why don't you trust Officer Nathan?" He didn't even look up from his writing.

"I don't know what you're talking about? I trust the good officer just fine." Edward replied slowly closing his book to look at his father.

"You can't hide it from me Edward. Its completely obvious whenever he?s around, that you don't like him. I believe that you are jealous of Officer Nathan." Darian stated. He didn't have to look at his son to know what face he was making.

"Jealous? You think I'm jealous of that imbecile?" Edward was clearly angry but not raising his voice. He had however put the book down on the table next to him.

"I don't think you are my dear boy, I know you are. You can't stand him being near miss Éclair. I've seen it in your eyes." He finally looked up from what he was writing. "You my boy have nothing that you SHOULD be jealous about." Edward could hear the sharpness in his father?s voice. "It is unheard of for you to feel the way that you do for Miss Éclair! I cannot allow it, just be a good servant and find a different lady to fall in love with!"

"That?s easy for you to say because you're the father and have already been married once before. You were lucky and fell in love with another servant. I can't help that I linger on Miss Éclair?s every move and word. I accepted it when she married Lord Vincent, but then she was happy. We haven't seen that same smile sine before his death! Even if I can't have her for my own, I will still do every thing in my power to make her happy! Even if it meant killing someone!" Edwards?s voice never reached more than a normal volume, but the sharpness, and sincerity behind it was obvious.

"You will never say anything of that matter ever again. Do you understand me? I am your father and you will treat me accordingly."

"I apologize father." Edward excused himself for the night and headed off toward his room. He met Miss Éclair in the hall, one thing he was not hoping for. He could feel tears, but did not allow them to fall especially in front of Éclair. She placed a hand on his cheek and gave him a warm smile. Then walked passed him down the hall.

"You're not the only one with good ears my dear Edward." She replied over her shoulder as she walked up the stairs.

"Keep your defense up!" Dante shouted at his blade nearly passed Geni's own short sword. "Focus! Distraction can be death!" His barked orders were getting to the point that they were haunting her dreams. "What do you call that pathetic bit of effort?" His jibes duiring training were merciless.

It had been four days since she had searched the night through looking for him, but when she had pressed him for details, he had been extremely evasive. She'd decided to let him alone about it -- for now. Unfortunately, Dante noticed her slight mental inattention, and he let her hear about it. "What do you think this is, a game?" He pressed an attack, and it was all she could do to keep him from scoring a hit on her.

Suddenly Dante broke off, stepped back and nodded at her. Panting, Geni sketched a bow and placed her blade back in it's sheath. She was exhausted. He had pushed her hard this day, and she was feeling the effects of it. But, truth be told, she was in the best physical shape of her life . . . not that [I]that[/I] particular fact would be a bonus in society.

"You did a good job today." Dante said softly as he stepped near her. "I didn't have one killing opening all day." He leaned down and brushed a kiss on her cheek. "I'm sure Faustus had a hot bath perpared for you in your rooms. Soak off the aches, then come down to dinner when you are ready." With that, Dante turned and went in the direction of his own rooms and likely his own bath.

As Geni headed up the stairs, she snickered and shook her head. She was still having a hard time getting used to the dichotomy that was Dante-the-Instuctor and Dante-her-beau. One minute he was shouting about her extreme incompentence, and the next he had a smile and a kiss for her. Her father found the whole thing vastly amusing, but he would. He enjoyed seeing Geni kept on her toes. Heaven forbid her life ever get boring was Lord David's thought.

As Geni reached her rooms, she was gratified at seeing the promised bath steaming before her. She felt spoiled by the little luxury, but would never have contemplated refusing it. The hot water felt so good against her skin as the little pains that had begun to wear her down melted away. She was on the brink of dozing off when a crisp knock was pounded on her door.

"I do beg your pardon." It was the man she had verbally abraided the other night. He had been walking on eggshells around her ever since.

"Don't enter, Benjamin. What can I help you with?" She called from her position in the tub.

"My lady, Lord Dante has recieved a message from Lady Ariana and requests your presence as soon as possible, please." He relpied, his voice muffled a bit by the door.

"Oh!" Geni stood and dripping, she reached for a towel. "Please tell him that I shall be down directly."

"Yes, milady."

Geni dressed in a rush and only pulled her hair up with a few combs so it rippled down her back to her waist in a fall of slightly damp stawberry curls. She threw on a pair of soft slippers and opened her door. Benjamin was standing across the hallway from her door, seemingly waiting for something.

"Lady, may I speak with you as you walk to the drawing room?" he requested politely.

A trifle surprised, she answered, "If you wish."

They headed down the stairs in silence, and Geni wasn't sure if she should open a conversation with simple pleasantries or not. She felt awkward.

"Milady, I want to aplogize for my behavior to you." He finally spoke. "I was undully rude."

She graced him with a warm smile. "It was two o'clock in the morning. You weren't expecting me to come crashing out of my door when I did. Neither of us were at our best. If you can forgive my harsh words, I'll declare no harm done."

"Thank you, milady." Benjamin gave a short, easy bow. "Now I can understand."

"Understand?"

"Why the lord likes you so much." With that he left her at the door to the drawing room.

Feeling uncertain and amused at the conversation, she went inside. Dante stood statuesque in front of the fireplace, a letter with Ariana's familiar handwritting on it in his hand. He seemed to be reading it for the fifth or sixth time. "Dante?"

He looked up at her. "Jack's sent another taunt to Rufus and Ariana. He warns that his next attempt will be soon. Lady Elcair believes from some crazy clue that he means to strike at the House of Parliment."

"Dante, we have to go back." She said, sorry thier idle was ended, but not sorry to be going where she could be useful.

"Yes. Please inform your father that we will be departing for London as soon as the staff can manage it." He asked. The staff managed to have them on the road in less than three hours.

Dusty, pale and tired, Lord Dante, Lord David and Geni pulled up in front of Rufus and Ariana's London home after an indescribably long journey. They had only stopped to change horses and streach their legs. It had been unpleasant, but none of them had been willing to take the chance of stopping overnight and not being where they needed to be in time.

Lord David rang the bell and a servant promptly opened the door. Recognizing them, he instantly showed them to the parlor where they could sit and await their hostess.

Eclair awoke to a rainy London morning, quite usual for this time year. She ate her breakfast comfortably in her dining room, while water streaked down the windows. She would have thought that it was a bad start to a gloomy day, but dark dreary morning were a common occurrence in London. Darian entered the room holding a letter from Ariana, normally he would allow miss Eclair to finish her breakfast before giving a message, but being as it was from Lady Ariana he knew that Eclair would want to see it right away.

"A letter, this early in the day? I do hope its not bad news." Eclair replied as she opened the letter, reading through it quickly.

"Milady?"

"Geni and Dante have just arrived back in London and are waiting at Ariana and Rufus's home. Please ready my carriage, we can't make them wait a moment any longer." Eclair stated as she stood.

"Shall I inform Sir Nathan milady?" Darian asked.

"Of course, sometimes I forget hes here."

Minutes later Nathan and Eclair found themselves on the doorstep of Ariana and Rufus's home. Nathan knocked and they were immediately shown to the parlor where every awaited them.

OOC: Sorry its short, buts its better than being at the bottom!

• 2 weeks later...
OOC: Since no one else has posted, I will assume that you are all ready for me to post the next attack . . . so here goes.

Geni greeted Eclair with a warm hug. Things just felt better when the whole group was gathered together. Like the resolving harmony at the end of a dissonant musical phrase, everything felt in it's proper place.

"Not that I am unhappy at seeing you again," Eclair began, getting straight to the point, " but shouldn't we retire to where Lord Rufus is so that we may discuss the problems at hand."

Ariana also hugged Elcair. "My Lord is dressed, and if Lord Dante and Sir Nathan would be so kind as to help him with the stairs, we can all meet comfortably in the front parlor." Without any further discussion, the two nobles strode up the stairs and into Ariana and Rufus's room, pausing just a breath for a quick knock at the door. Before too much time had passed they were all settled in the plesant and comfortable parlor.

Dante read through the letter from Jack, then handed it to Geni to peruse. Her eyes flicked over the elegant if slightly cramped handwriting then sighed deeply.
"Why does he delight in taunting us so? Hickory dickory dock?"

"We are pretty sure that he means Parliment as the location." Rufus said from his overstuffed chair. The bandages had come off his face, and though the scar on his face was still quite livid, Geni could tell that it would have a very dashing effect once it completely healed.

"Yes, but [I]when[/I] is the question." Dante pointed out.

"One o'clock, obviously." Eclair taunted in sticky-sweet voice.

"But which day?!" he growled back at her. Geni, uncomfortable in the tension that was rising between the two, however goodnatured, rose from her seat and wandered toward the bay window that faced the street. She stared out the panes of glass for a few moments before she spoke.

"I think it will be a day that we are all in attendance, one way or another. I have no fear of missing what Jack has in store for us." her voice was soft and thoughtful.

"What do you mean?" Ariana asked kindly.

"It's like Lady Eclair pointed out before. Jack craves an audience." She gestured around the room. "[I]This[/I] audience. Why else would he send us letters, put us on our guard, even give us hints? It's like he is a Moriarty in desperate need of a Holmes and Watson. There is no obvious point to his plots and dramatics unless there is an audience ironically included into the thread of his machinations."

"So whatever day we attend Parliment is the day that Jack will attack?" Nathan tried to clairfy.

"I do not feel that we can pin-point it quite that closely." Geni answered, resigned. "And my idea is only a theory, so I wouldn't want to risk someone's life in the event that I am wrong." Geni sighed again, then returned to people watching out the window.

"So it sounds like the men will be taking their Parlimentary seats for a while." Nathan sighed. "Rufus and Dante in the House of Lords and myself in the House of Commons."

"What about the ladies?" Eclair demanded. "We're involved in this, too."

"Ladies still aren't allowed in the debate rooms." Ariana chimed politely. "We would have to stand in the back gallery with everyone else."

Rufus came up with an answer that would assuage Eclairs offended sensibilities. The ladies would walk the river . . . smell of the Thames this time of year not withstanding . . . in front of the building, even picnic on the bank if necessary, and watch for anyone entering that might be glowing red - the reported indecation of a imminant victim. Then either Geni or Ariana could alert the men waiting inside.

"But doesn't that leave the ladies helpless?" Nathan couldn't help but ask.

Dante smirked, leaned forward and plucked a candle taper that sat in an unlit stick. "Geni!" he barked and threw the candle at her. At the sharp tone in his voice, she whirled from her inattention and drew a short, curved blade - slicing the taper in half just before it hit her.

"Dante. Don't. Do. That!" Geni panted as she clutched her free hand to her chest. "I thought something was wrong!" She slid the weapon through a concealed slit in her gown as she blushed to the group at large. "My hoop hides the sheath." She explained. "Dante won't let me go anywhere without it." She turned away so no one could see her straighten her skirts so the hilt did not show.

"Geni isn't as helpless as she seems anymore." Dante chuckled. "Eclair is a Telekenetic who could poison them with water from the river if nothing else more damaging comes to mind. Ariana could mentally rouse the clavary to her defense with her abilities, as well. I think they will be fine."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll have Edward with us, too." Eclair suggested.

Nathan shook his head, but agreed to the plan. It was the only plan they had.

Geni gripped her parasol and tried to suppress a smile as she and her two friends walked the path in front of Parliament for the sixth time that day. They had agreed that if the whole group of them kept arriving everyday just before one o'clock, people might find their behavior rather odd. Today was the ladies day to arrive early. The men were going to arrive one at a time through-out the morning.

"Share the humor." Ariana requested when she saw Geni's smile.

"Not that there aren't enough 'humors' coming our way from the Thames." Eclair added. The day was warm, so the river was not at its best this day.

"Dante is bemoaning his boredom. I don't think he knows that I can 'hear' him, or he wouldn't be as descriptive as he currently is being." she giggled. "He's wondering how anyone can do this professionally. After three days he is ready to commit suicide."

"At least he's allowd to speak if he has an opinion." Eclair pointed out. "Poor Nathan isn't elected. He's lucky he gets to have a seat at all."

"True." Geni agreed. "But I don't think Dante is in the mood for me to point that out." They chuckled at the male misery.

"Ladies." Ariana's voice was quiet, but intense. They looked at her, then followed her pointed gaze across the street. There, heading toward the entrance stairs, was a man in his early thirties. He was dressed conservatively in browns, but despite the muted colors he wore, he glowed a difinitive red.

"Dante knows." Geni reported.

"So does Sir Nathan." Ariana echoed. "He's on his way."

"They might not get here in time." Elcair announced, and motioning Edward to follow them, she grabbed her skirts and headed across the street trailing the others behind her. She strode right up to the man then dramatically fell to the ground in front of him with a small cry of pain. "I think I've twisted my ankle! The lace of my boot must of broken." She sobbed.

"Milady, may I be of any assistance?" He considerately offered.

"Oh, please." She answered tearfully as Ariana, Geni and Edward watched - too stunned to say anything. As the gentleman bent down to offer Eclair a hand in standing, a man - too shabbily dressed to belong in that august structure - rushed out from the building, a flash of silver raised above his head.

This time, Eclair's scream was real. Blood sprayed her face and day dress and stuck in her perfectly arranged hair. She had knocked the genlteman in brown over in an attempt to keep him from harm. Unfortunatly, that act had placed herself in direct line of the attacker's rush. Geni had begun to draw her weapon and Ariana had telepathically announced their plight, but it was Edward who had jumped in the tiny blade's way to protect his lady. A scarlet slash traced his face from just below his right ear along his jawline for several inches. Blood oosed out at an alarming rate.

"Lady, are you safe?" Edward asked between clenched teeth. Above them the famous clocktower chimed one.

"The frill be fine." The man with the silver scalpel snapped, obviously irritated at the turn of events. He stared at the gentleman Elcair had knocked over. "Not everyone likes your future policies. Remember that."

The man in brown didn't answer the threat. His calls for the police were his only reply as he attempted to restrain the attacker. The man with the blade glanced up at the building entrance and saw Dante and Nathan racing out. He chuckled, and vanished.

"What just . . .?" The intended target began to ask, but Ariana superimposed herself in front of him.

"He just ran down the street." She told him forcefully. "He wrenched himself from your grip and ran down the street."

"Stop that man!" the gentleman cried. People were beginning to gather from all the commotion. Dante touched Geni's mind and she informed him that the three ladies were all fine. He turned on his heel and re-entered the structure with the thought of easing Lord Rufus's mind since the man still wasn't able to quickly decend to the street to discover his wife's well-being on his own. Geni was touched by his thoughtfulness.

Nathan came up to the group and asserted his authority over the situation. He quickly took the man's name and statement. He tried to get the ladies, as witnesses, to also tell him what they saw, but Eclair was beside herself. She pulled her hankerchief out of her handbag, and ignoring Edward's protests that it would ruin the silk, she pressed it to his bleeding face. She sat him down next to her and cried over his great bravery and selflessness. He found himself blushing from all the fuss. His face hurt, no doubt about that, but he never expected his pain to effect Lady Eclair as strongly as it had.

Nathan and other arriving officers had gotten most of the crowd to disperse by the time Dante and Rufus arrived. The gentleman in brown offered to have Edward taken to his doctor, but Rufus assured him that they knew a very worthy surgeon. Coming from that source, the man couldn't find reason to argue. Nathan excused him from the scene with much thanks, but before he left he insisted that Edward take his card.

"If ever you are in need of a favor, call on me. I owe you my life, my good man, and that is a debt I can never repay." He looked at Eclair. "If there is any doubt of any medical costs, please allow me to help."

"There will be no need." she said fiercely, then sofened. "But thank you for the offer." The man tipped his hat to them all, then made his way to a waiting cab.

"Herbert Henry Asquith, MP" Eclair read from the card.

At the sound of his name, Geni's eyes grew large. "That man will be Prime Minister during a very important war sometime in the future." she said in a flash of clairity.

"Indeed?" Nathan asked. "Curiouser and curiouser."

At Dante's signal, the ladies used their skirts to create a screen between Edward and the busy street. Dante laid his hand on the man's shoulder and the two of them vanished - off to Dr. Lancaster.

Ariana patted Eclair's hand as she teared up again. "The doctor is the best. Edward will be just fine. I have a feeling the scar will barely show once he heals."

"I think it's time we all retire to Elcair's home." Rufus suggested. "That way we can get out of the sun, compare notes, and the lady can await news of the pacient's condition in relative comfort." All were agreed. Geni sent a thought to Dante, instructing him to where they were going. He couldn't send an answer back, but she knew that he had 'heard' her. Without much talking the group entered their perspective carriages and made their way to Lady Eclair's residence.

IN a blinding flash of light they were there. Standing just outside the door to Dr. lancaster's office, on the top floor of the White's club. Before Edward had a chance to recover from the Mental jarring of Phase-shifting, Dante grabbed the front of the servant's shirt in his fists, and slammed him up against the wall.

"now listen here. You are now involved. Do you knw what this means?" Dante growled at edward.

"Now see here!" the servant began to reply, bewildered by the sudden rage of the Lord.

"It means, that you now have the potential to bring great trouble and great harm down upon Us. Upon me and Genim, Upon the watchdog and upon your lady." Edward was taken aback.

"I... I don't understand what you mean" He said, the fight leaving his voice.

"You wouldn't understand even if i had a milennia to explain it to you" Dante said, the agression still in his voice.

"What is it you want?" Edward saked, the cut on his face was becoming more painful by the second, blood oozed in an unrelenting flow down the side of his face.

"Your silence" dante barked. "You are to keep silent about Jack. About what you know about the rest of us. Do I make myself clear?" Dante's scathing voice tone cut deeper than the knife had.

"and If I refuse?" Edward said, agression seeping into his voice.

"then you will be making a direct choice to harm The lady genevive, myself, eclair, and the others" Dante glared inot Edward's eyes. "Do you want that? Do you want to be responsible for Eclair being lynched by a mob of frigtened ignorant people? Do you?" Dante's grip on the man tigtened, the only thought going through his mind was the ability that this man, this Edawrd posessed to hurt Geni.

Edward lowered his eyes, hurting Eclair was the last thing he wanted.

"Ok, I'll keep quiet. I wish harm upon none of you." Edwards voice came Dejected, defeated and quiet.

Without hesitation, Dante released Edward, spun around, and booted the door of Dr. lancaster's office open in one fluid motion. The doctor inside, sitting with his feet up on his desk, jumped to his feet, drawing a scalpel from inside his coat, preparing himself for whoever had broken through his door. Glass fragments rained down from the Door's window. Dr. lancaster stoped short, when HE saw who It was.

"You're the fellow who brought Lord Rufus to me, with Lord david, Correct?" Lancaster aimed at Dante.

"Yes I am" Dante shot back. "The madman who got Rufus has struck again." Herding Edward into the room, the Cut on his face still oozing coagulated blood. "This Is Dr. Lancaster, he'll see to you." Wi8th taht, Dante departed back into the hall, and in an instant of thought, he was gone.

OOC: Wooo! relatively quickly for a change!

Ariana and Rufus sat in their carriage mostly in silence until Rufus spoke up.

"Are you alright my dear? That must have been quite the scare you ladies had." His voice was kind and quiet. He took her hand in his and held it gingerly. Ariana gave a weak smile, and turned her tear glazed eyes to her sweet husband.

"Do you remember when I told you about the other life I had before coming here?" Her voice shook slightly as she spoke.

"Yes." Rufus stated.

"Do you remember my husband? He died protecting me, just as young Edward could have done today." She paused for a moment, a tear sliding down her cheek to fall upon Rufus' hand. "Why is it that people so cruel exsist, how do they survive without feeling any remorse for their actions? How do people like that come to be the way they are? I just don't understand why. There is no pain, ore guilt in the eyes of a killer, I know I've seen them first hand." She wanted to say more but all that her body allowed her to release were sobs. Rufus pulled her closer so that her head ways resting on his shoulder.

"There now love, we'll all get through this. Then you'll never have to look death in the eyes again." Rufus comforted his wife all the rest of the way until her tears finally stopped and the carriage halted.

OOC: Sorry its sooooooo short, and that I haven't been around. Its a busy season in translation land.

The small group arrived at Eclair's home with out further incident and they all gathered in the front parlor together.

"My Lady where is Edward? Was he not with you?" Darian sounded a tad worried.

"My dear Darian, we were attacked again, and your son was noble enough to step in the way of the attacker. Do not fear though, he is fine he is with Dr.Lancaster. He recieved a injury to the face, but it will heal with time." Eclair replied as quickly and calmly as possible as to not worry Darian.

"You were attacked Milady?" Darian asked his eyes widening slightly.

"Actually the man I was speaking with was attacked, I tried to get him out of the way, and by doing so I placed myself in danger. Thats when Edward jumped in and took the blow for me." Elcair replied giving Darian and warm smile that said everything she wished to say.

"You should be quite proud of your son Sir." Rufus replied. "He did a very good deed today keeping your lady safe. Good boy you have there."

"Yes, thank you. I am proud of my son, if he had died protecting Lady eclair he wouldn't have been the first in my family to die protecting this family. I am glad to here that he is alive and well however. I did not want to have to attend my sons funeral." Darian stated then turned to Eclair. "Is there anything I may do for you Milady?" He gave a slight bow as he spoke.

"No Darian, take some time off and go pick your son up from Dr.Lancaster." Eclair replied excusing him. "If we need anything I will ask Clohe."

Darian left the house and the 6 of them remained in the parlor to speak.
"You realize that your man Edward is now involved?" Dante asked his tone as serious as ever.

"Yes I do, but he didn't know.He just wanted to protect me, he didn't know that our enemy was maniac that pops in and out of exsitance." Eclair exclaimed.

"Hes trust worthy then?" Nathan asked.

"Absolutely, he wouldn't tell a soul living or dead. Edward speaks of nothing unless I tell him to." Eclair remarked jumping to the young mans defense. "I trust Edward with my deepest more precious secrets. He would die before speaking against me or anyone I associate with." She as about to continue speaking when the all too familar searing pain appeared and she passed out, Nathan barely catching her before she hit the floor.

"Good Heavens, Eclair?!" Geni moved forward.

"What's matter with her?" Dante asked quickly.

"I haven't been able to figure it out yet, this has been actually happening more frequently in last month. She has seen a doctor and he can't find anything wrong with her. Shes normally only out for moments, she should come around soon.

"You say this has been happening more frequently?" Rufus asked raising an eyebrow.

"Aye." Nathan replied. He held the unconcious Eclair as gently as possible, moving her to the love seat.

"Didn't her husband die of a unusual illness?" Ariana added.

"Yes, but the doctor himself said that he doesn't think there is anything wrong." Nathans eyes gazed down at Eclair. "There can't be anything wrong with Eclair." He remarked almost to himself.

"We can only hope it has to do with all the stress there is around us. After all, she had quite the close call today." Geni chimed in.

"Perhaps thats it. Or perhaps it has somthing to do with Jack, but why would he target Eclair? He's already established that 'we' are not the targets." Dante replied.

"He said that we are not the targets of the 'attacks' not anything else. She may not be ill at all. She might be suffering from somthing within, she might only be hurt mentaly and emotionaly." Rufus replied quietly.

Moments later the young lady awoke, a very nervous Nathan standing over her.

OOC: Its really short I know I'm sorry. But hey guess what everyone, I get my cast off in two days! WOOHOO! :animesmil ;) :p :cool: :catgirl:

"I had another spell, didn't I?" Eclair asked in a timerous voice.

"Yes, I'm afraid you did." Nathan told her while gently patting her hand. "How do you feel now?"

"A touch unsteady, but fine, relatively speaking. I wonder what could be triggering them?" she mused alloud.

Geni was rising from her seat to help attend her friend when something Eclair said shook a memory free in her mind. She sat back down in her chair with a heavy thump as her view of one world washed into another. . .

"Ari, do you remember that anomoly I mentioned during training a few weeks ago?" Jeni asked her dining companion. Fast food was all either of them could afford, but anything beat the cafeteria.

"You mean the thing about the years being wrong? Wasn't it 1890 or something?" Ariana said.

"1888, actually. Well, I was avoiding watching the tele-cast screens the other day, and I remembered the event, so I got curious and started doing a bit of digging into the system on my password." Geni was warming into her subject.

"And?" Ariana promted.

"Well, someone has a long-standing program running that is linked to that year. It's been running so long, it didn't even have a start date. That means it's been in the works since the HRV system went on line."

"What's so special about 1888 that we would need to monitor it non-stop?" Ariana was becoming curious, despite herself.

"Not much. . . Victorian Era, Wild West drawing to a close in the Americas, some polar explorations in the making. But then I remembered some weird little fact - the 'Jack the Ripper' murders were in that year."

"They never caught that guy, did they?" Ariana asked.

"Nope. Lots of theories as to who he was, but never proven, never caught. And the entire subject of Jack the Ripper has been blocked from the HRV system, as if someone out there is hoping that the entire company will just forget it ever happened. Nearly worked, too. I had to go to an encyclopedia to verify my guesses."

"That's weird." Ariana agreed with her. "Do you want me to do some looking during my off hours, too?"

"I'd appreciate it. There's just too much worked too deeply into the system for me to locate it all, all by myself."

"It's probably just a strange glitch, but it'll pass the time." Ariana grinned mischieveously at her friend.

"It will do that." Jeni agreed.

Geni looked about the room, a touch stunned, then began sharing what she saw with the others.

"So the original culprit has had their eyes set on this for a very long time." Eclair stated now awake and back to the reality at hand.

"What do you suppose it is that our 'Jack' is actually after?" Nathan asked to anyone who might actually know the answer.

"I remember in my research of this time period that, 'Jack the Ripper' didn't originally target anyone one of any importance. Infact the only people he targeted were..." Ariana paused a moment, figuring how to phrase what she wished to say. "... women of the night."

"That must be what your memory is about. The culprit was hoping that the 'Jack the Ripper' murders would go un-noticed that he could use them to his advantage. But what it is he trying to do is still un apparent." Eclair replied a look of frustration upon her face.

"Another odd thing." Dante stated. "We have always recieved a letter at the other attacks. Why not this one?" Everyone realized it as he pointed it out, Jack's notorious letter had not appeared.

OOC: BUM BUM BUM, Sorry its short but at least its there!

?[I]Are you alright Éclair?[/I]? Nathan asked to Éclair?s mind, his ?voice? filled with concern.

[I] ?A tad tired, and my head hurts as it always does after these spells, but none the less I am well. Thank you for your concern Nathan, it means a great deal to me.? [/I] Éclair thought back a smile toughing her lips as her eyes met his.

[I] ?Are you worried about Edward??[/I] He asked even though he already knew the answer.

[I] ?Yes but I have faith in Dr.Lancaster?s abilities, after all he did a fabulous job with Rufus. Besides Edwards wound was not fatal, thank heavens.? [/I] Éclair thought in a relieved manner.

[I] ?I apologize that I wasn?t there in time to avoid it from happening completely.? [/I] Nathan?s eyes fell to the floor.

[I] ?You shouldn?t blame yourself, you?re part in this was important. What would have happened if had the incident had taken place in doors, you would have stopped it just as Edward and I did.?[/I]

?But it didn?t happen inside, and that put you in direct danger and threat of death. Éclair I will not lose you to this mad man, who has caught us up in his sick game!? Nathan?s voice had broken whatever conversation the others had been having and they all now set their gaze on Nathan. He could feel his skin flush a slight shade of blush.

?Do you have something that you?d like to share with the rest of us Nathan ?? Dante asked raising an eyebrow, his voice showing slight annoyance.

?Uh- no I apologize. Its nothing.? Nathan remarked quickly. There was an awkward silence through out the group before Geni picked the conversation back up.

?I was just saying that it is good that Edward was there to block Éclair from the attackers blow.?

?Only the fact that he knows is now a danger to all of us, and I never thought him attending the stake out was a good idea in the first place. Now we have to worry about him as well.? Dante replied, giving his opinion quite clearly.

?I am quite capable of taking care of myself Lord Dante.? Edwards voice entered the discussion as he walked into the room. There was a bandage over his new injury, and there was dried blood on his shirt and over coat. Éclair rushed over him from the love seat she had been sitting on.

?I was not expecting you so soon. How is it?? She asked quickly, new tears already beginning to form.

?I am fine, I?m just glad that you were unscathed Milady. Now if you will please excuse me, I would like to go clean up.? Edward bowed.

?Of course take the rest of the day as you please.? Éclair stated kindly.

Edward turned to go, then stopped himself. "Milady?"

"Yes, Edward?" Elcair asked gently. "Do you need anything?"

"No, I just wanted to give you this." he said, holding out a slightly crumpled parchment envelope with the letter "J" inscribed on it in red. "Dr. Lancaster found it in my coat. He said that one of you must have dropped it because he had seen one just like it at Lady Ariana's during the dinner party. Forgive me that it took me so long to return it to you."

Eclair took the letter from the young man with a slightly trembling hand. She paled more, but did her best to smile. "Yes, thank you, Edward. I was just begining to wonder where that had gotten to."

"Lady, are you well?" concern laced Edward's voice.

"Yes, Edward dear. I simply haven't eaten for a time." Eclair covered.

"If you desire, I'll bring you the mints from the front parlor and tell cook to serve as soon as possible before I wash up." He offered.

"You really don't have to do that. I'll be just fine."

"It will only take me a moment. I will be right back, Milady." Edward turned and left the group, heading toward the larger, formal front parlor.

Eclair turned to the waiting group and handed the letter to Dante. The young lord cracked the wax seal and took out the carefully folded letter. He read it out loud . . .

[COLOR=Red]Dear Loves-

Did you miss me? Of course you did, silly me. Now that you have managed to foil yet another attempt of mine, and managed to get someone else involved, how do you feel? I do hope that you?re not tired of playing yet. I know that I certainly am not - this is far too much fun. Do not rest on your laurels for my next excersize is quickly approaching - can't give you time to become bored.

You?ve made it past the fourth round with only three left to go. Certainly you aren?t ready to give up yet? This is where my fun truly begins, those were simply the warm up, or shall I say the appetizer, and now we?re on to the main course. Just think only three more times of life or death exchanges and then you will be home free? that is, if I allow you to last through to the end. Do not forget I am always there, hiding in the shadows of your darkest secrets.

Sincerely your dear friend
Jack

P.S. Heaven forbid I forget your clue! "With silver bells and cockle shells and [I]pretty maids all in a row[/I]" [/COLOR]

"What kind of madman would get such pleasure from tormenting us like this?" Ariana asked into the silence that settled after Dante finished.

"The same kind who will kill innocent people for no discernable reason." Nathan replied a bit sharper than he had intended.

"He's the kind of person the devil would tip his hat to." Eclair added darkly. Again the conversation lulled.

Hesitantly, Geni spoke up. "I have a guess for the clue." She ventured.

"Then enlighten us." Nathan snapped. Again, he sounded harsher than he meant to. Something about this evening was putting him out of sorts.

"Look, unless you can contribute anything besides disdain, please refrain." Dante responded curtly. "Don't take your frustration over the situation out on Geni."

"Go ahead, Geni." Ariana prompted once the two men had settled back to simply glare at one another.

"Well, 'pretty maids all in a row' has been emphasized. The fall season opening ball is in a few days. The new debutants will be coming out. They have to line up all in a row to be introduced. Maybe the next attack will be at Almack's again?"

"That sounds possible, and I --" Rufus began but was interrupted with a crash of glass and metal coming from the front of the house. "What on earth?"

Ariana stayed back, remaining with Rufus, but everyone else ran out of the smaller back parlor in a rush as they made their way to the source of the noise. Geni managed to be right behind Dante as he strode into the front parlor. He took one look at the room, then turned -- attempting to shield her from the sight. Elcair was not so fortunate. She brushed past the couple and horror filled her eyes.

There, in front of the large fireplace, was Edward, lying in an ever spreading pool of his own blood that was permanently staining the persian rug he had fallen on. Run from back to front through his chest was the sword from the mantle. Vincent's sword. In a professionally removed fashion, Nathan noted that the large window facing the street had been shattered from the inside out. If the attacker hadn't vanished in a puff of smoke, that was his likely exit point.

Eclair raced to the young man and dropped to her knees. "Edward!?" she called out desperately. His eyes flickered open like the lids weighed almost more than he could lift. A breath rattled in his chest. A lung had been pierced, if nothing else.

"Milady," he whispered, "I didn't see. I'm sorry."

"Don't speak." she begged. "Save your strength." She looked over her shoulder. "Dante, please! Get him to Dr. Lancaster!"

"Milady," Edward grabbed her arm as tightly as he could as Dante approached. "Milady, I love you." With that as his parting gift, the two men vanished, sword and all. Beneath where Edward had been, another envelope - slightly stained red with blood, lay.

Nathan gingerly picked it up and broke the seal, but then decided it would be better to read the murderer's missive away from the scene of the crime. As they headed out the door, they ran into Darian coming to investigate the commotion. Smoothly, Nathan diverted the man by explaining that Lady Elcair had just suffered an awful shock and would he please bring a brandy for her from the drawing room. At once, Darian was off to be at his lady's service.

Eclair, Nathan and Geni retraced thier steps and met back up with Ariana and Rufus in the smaller parlor. In a tightly controlled voice, Nathan explained to the married couple what they had found and where Dante had gone. Then he took the new letter out of it's sticky envelope and read it out loud.

[COLOR=Red]My dearest ones,

Too many people had joined the festivities. Too many souls invited to the fun. Too many teammates playing the game, so I reduced the massive numbers by one.

Be cautious adding to your numbers without my permission ever again.

Jack[/COLOR]

"This is my fault." Eclair whispered. "I asked him to come with us. It's all my fault."

"No, I don't believe that is true." Geni held her hand as she sat with her on the small sofa. "Edward made his own choices for his own reasons. Given an option, knowing what would happen and how much he would be hurt, I think he would do exactly the same thing all over again."

Ariana sat with Rufus, holding his hand so tightly her knuckles had turned white. Again, again this pain was haunting them. It had to stop. Before more of their dear ones were hurt. It had to stop. She would do everything in her power to make sure anything else that this "Jack" attempted, she - they - would be in his way. In order to keep everyone safe, she would give anything.

Slowly the door creaked open and Dante, clothes stained a reddish brown, quietly walked in. Vincent's sword was gripped in his hand and his face was unreadable. A hush fell over them as he crossed the room to Geni and Elcair. Somberly he placed the blade on Elcair's lap.

"Lady, I'm sorry." was all he said.

For a moment time seemed to stop and Eclairs heart may have done the same. The whole situation had seemed so sureal, and yet far too real at the same time. Here Dante stood infront of here, Edwards blood staining his clothes, and Vincent's sword upon her lap. His merciful eyes telling her all, the words not needing to be spoken.
Tears gathered in the young Lady's eyes and she began to tremble as her hand slid across the blade of her beloved. The blade that ended a young mans life, and not just any young man.

"No... it can't be." She shut her eyes tightly and the glistening tears fell down her cheeks. "Why?" The whisper came almost as silence. Then no longer having any control over any part of herself, Eclair began to sob bringing her hands up to hide her face.

Geni didn't have anything she could say, she could only reach out with a caring embrace in an attempt to comfort the distraught Eclair. The sobbing lady accepted the embrace and cried uncontroably into the young girls arms. Nothing in motion or in words could fill the gap in the young dutchess' heart right now.

"What is wrong?" Darian's voice broke the silence between Eclairs sobs. "What is wrong with Milady, and where is my son?" He asked, his eyes saddening as they turned to look at Sir Nathan.

"Darian... your son... Edward, he was--" Nathan was cut off by Darian.

"He was killed wasn't he? He was taken away from me by that mad man!" Darian's voice raised considerably as he spoke. "Where is he?"

"I took him to Dr. Lancaster. He died there shortly after we arrived. I am sorry sir..." Dante paused for only a moment as he could see Darian's eyes fill with and emptiness that he had never wanted to see in anyone. "... he was a brave man."

Darian set the glass of Brandy down on the table as he was asked, and turned to leave the room.

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to see Dr.Lancaster." And with that he left the house. Nathans shoulders slouched slightly as the door closed behind Darian and he turned to the still sobbing Eclair. Geni loosened her grip on the dutchess and Eclair stood and rushed to Nathan, Vincents sword crashing to the floor. Nathan wrapped his arms around Eclair as she cried into his chest. This was not the first time he had been there to comfort her after the death of a loved one. Eclairs legs began to give way and the two of them both sank to the floor, Nathan holding her tighter than before as she trembled.

[I] 'I know you are all concerned but, perhaps you sould leave for the evening.' [/I] Nathan thought to all of them.

[I]'Yes of course.'[/I] Ariana replied back.

[I] 'And perhaps one of you will be so kind as too notify the authorities. I am far too involved in this case to handle it myself.'[/I] Nathan suggested.

[I] 'We understand. of course you'll let us know if anything comes up?' [/I] Geni asked.

[I]'Absolutely.'[/I]

"Its all my fault, he never would have been involved if it wasn't for me." Eclair stated through her sobs. Her voice muffled as she spoke into Nathans jacket. "He was fine this morning, and now I will never see his smiling face ever again. Why must everyone close to me be taken, am I that bad of a person?"

"Eclair don't say that. None of this is because of you." Ariana stated tears of her own sliding down her cheeks.

"You musn't blame yourself, this is exactly what jack wants us to feel. No matter what happens we will find him. This is not because of you." Geni replied she too was crying.

"Listen to the girls Eclair, this is not your fault. You are an amazing person and you could never have done any of this. Your heart is full of kindness and compassion and no one has ever wished this upon you." Nathan spoke gently as he held her.

"But why... and with that sword?" Eclair asked looking up into Nathans eyes. There was a sadness there that Nathan never hoped to see again.

OOC: OMG! :animecry: Can we say depressing, poor Eclair. Poor EDWARD!

Ariana and Rufus slowly made their way outside to where their carriage had been waiting. Nathans voice came to Ariana's mind as she wait for the coachman to help Rufus.

[I]'You know what his last words to her were?'[/I]

[I]'Probably that he loved her.'[/I] Ariana stated somberly in her mind.

[I]'Precisely, it makes me wonder. Is Eclair cursed to have every man that loves her taken away from her?' [/I] His voice came almost absent mindedly.

[I] 'Does that frighten you Nathan?'[/I] She asked.

[I]'No it does not. It only makes me love her harder than before. I refuse to watch Eclair suffer any longer, and I will not be another cause of her pain. I promise that.'[/I] Nathan's was firm as he finished.

[I] 'Please, do call on us if you need anything.'[/I] Ariana replied as her carriage now pulled away from Eclair's home.

"Its terrible whats happened to the poor girl. And Edward, such a loyal, kind young man. He didn't deserve this fate." Rufus stated as he stare out the window. Ariana could see a single tear roll down her husbands cheek. "its going to rain today."

"Yes dear." Ariana replied placing her hand upon his.

OOC: Wow this is deffinately a turn of events we weren't expecting at all! Edward was sooooo cute, so cute that I was secretly cheering for him to get Eclair the whole time! :animecry:

Dante and Geni left Eclairs house, Dante's clothes still crusted with the blood of the dead edward.
they walked on in silence, towards Geni's residence. Niether of them could Summon words, as the Death of Eclair's servant hung around the air like a black shroud. He still couln't believe that edward was dead. Dante had wanted him out of the way, but to disembowel the poor innocent lad? No. He would have died painlessly, if it were left to Dante. He thought to himelf about the harshness of HIs last words to Edward, Pinning him up against the wall and all. Brooding never brought anyone back from the dead, and so dante put edward from his mind.

After what seemed an eterninty, they arrived at Geni's door.

OOC: w00t. postage from teh dante.

The sky was a lowering gray that rumbled and threatened rain, but would never grant the mourners the release of a downpour. The air was thick with humidity and tear-tracks streaked faces, undrying. The black-clad company listened to the vicar's words with only half a mind to what he was actually saying.

Lord David had been livid with Geni and Dante for sending the carriage back early and walking home. It had been getting dark and Dante's state of dress was certainly going to raise questions. But most importantly, as far as society was concerned, there had been no chaperone and they had been walking down a public street where some of the most notoious gossips lived. He had verbally taken them both to task for their lack of thought. And though Geni could feel how dearly Dante wanted to announce to her father that society and it's rules could go hang themselves, he wisely kept his own council. Fotunately, when Geni was allowd to explain the sad events of the day, her father relented enough end his tirade and offer his condolences. With a final warning that if their thoughtlessness brought trouble, it was not his job to make reparations to tarnished reputations, he took his disgruntled leave to write Eclair and Darian a sincere letter of sympathy.

After that, Dante had swept off to his rooms to clean up without a word to her. She found herself left standing alone in the front hall, ears ringing from the vocal discipline she had taken as well as from the silence she had endured after. Fortunatly, James had come to her rescue.

"Don't you trouble yourself too much over your father, Miss Geni." he said in soft tones as he ushered her up the stairs toward her rooms. "He was worried about you is all. The papers are all headlining the attack that happened at Parliament today, and Lady Eclair was mentioned. None of them had any other names to give, just the uncomforting fact that others had been harmed. I know he was beside himself with relief when he saw that both you and Lord Dante were well."

"Thank you, James." Geni whispered. "My father has never shouted at me before. And while it is an experience I never care to repeat, at least I now understand a bit more his motivation."

"Just get you to sleep, Milady." James advised. "Things will look brighter in the morning."

But they hadn't really. That had been two days ago. Two days since the attack and Edward's death. Two days since she had heard from anyone in their group with the exception of an invitation from Darian to Edward's funeral for the lord of the house, his daughter and thier houseguest.

Geni was grateful to be included. Something deep inside her needed to lay the young man to rest, needed to be with the others, needed to solidify the resolve in her heart to never let anyone else be hurt by this maniac.

The thunder rumbled again, but still the rain refused to fall. Tears rained down Eclair's face instead. The lady was pale, her black dress and dark tresses making her complexion even whiter by comparison. She stood next to Darian, but neither of them spoke, or even touched another person, as if they were united in thier sadness but alone in their personal grief. Nathan stood nearby, looking awkward in his helpless wish to make Elcair smile again. He wanted to console her, but she seemed to have a barrier of sorrow surrounding her that he had no way of breaking through without pushing her away at the same time.

The offical report was that Edward had been killed by an intruder who was looking to steal the priceless antiques that the front parlor held. The police had been satisfied with that conclusion and had issued a warning to Eclair's neighbors to lock their doors and windows and to be careful around lurking strangers. Without a description of the thief, that was the best they could do. It was an entirely wasted effort as far as anyone who knew the horrid truth was concerned.

The vicar concluded his heartfelt words of solace. He was the same man that had shared dinner with the group of them only weeks ago. Ariana had sweetly offered to ask him to officiate, and Darian had gratefully accepted. He led the gathering in a prayer, then crossed to Darian.

"Your son was a brave man. His was a life filled with giving from the heart. No one - not even God - can say that it was a life wasted. Know that your son is in heaven and you will see him again." His voice was filled with sincerity.

"Thank you." Darian mumbled, unable to tear his gaze away from the coffin that was being lowered into the ground as they spoke. The vicar turned to Lady Eclair.

"My lady, you are truly a good soul. Seeing how deeply this young man's loss has effected you bears testament to that. Never let go of his bravery - keep it close to your heart. But also remember that the last thing Edward would want is the knowlege that he was the cause for your tears. Smile again, lady. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but do not forget how to smile. For Edward's sake if not for your own." Eclair merely nodded, but that was enough for the man of God.

He stepped away from her. As if that were a signal, Eclair, Darian, Ariana and Geni each threw a white rose on top of the casket and then the cemetary workmen set about their job of burying the dead. The onlookers surrounded Darian and Eclair and began to offer their condolences.

As Lord David began to step forward to join the small crowd, he felt a hand at his elbow. He turned to see a small biddy of an elderly socialite with a dower expression on her face pulling at his arm. "May I help you, lady?"

"My lord, are you aware that your daughter has been seen walking at night with a very disreputable looking man recently?" she spoke in a nasty tone, as if she were reveling in the idea of breaking this juicy piece of news to him.

"As a matter of fact, that was Lord Dante, who had just come from taking the young man who was laid to rest this very moment to a doctor in a desire to save his life." Lord David defended.

"Yes, well I'm sure that was very distressing." she said with sinicism. "But that does not explain why they were alone together at night."

"That was my fault." A new person stepped into the conversation. Eclair stood straight and loomed over the biddy with disdain dripping from her every word. "I was to be their chaperone, but with Edward's death, I forgot my duty to my young friends and asked them to leave without me. Lady Genieve's carriage had left them at my home because I was to provide them transportation, and again, I neglected them. Because of their desire to not disturb me in my grief, they were forced to walk. If anyone is to be taken to task for lack of propriety, it would be me." Eclair's gaze was cold and bitter.

"Thank you for your explanation, Lady." the old woman replied with an attept to gather her upset scheme of spite. "But the young lady should have requested an escort from one of your maids at the very least. If she is to continue in reputable circles, she needs to take more care in her conduct."

"You are quite right." Lord David cut in before Eclair could form a reply. "Her lack of decorum with the young Lord Dante shall be redressed. Now, if you will excuse me, I wish to offer my sympathies to the bereaved father then take my leave. I am sure I will be seeing you at Almack's tomorrow evening, lady." He offered his arm to Eclair and the two of them crossed the grass to Darian.

"Father, who was that lady you were speaking with just now?" Geni asked when he was close enough.

"A gossip with an agenda. I informed you that reparations are not my responsibility when you act foolishly." He glanced pointedly at Dante, then to his daughter. "Fortunatly you have a friend such as Lady Eclair who will come unbidden to the defense of you both. But that can only cover so far. You both have decisions to make, and I recommend trying for retribution against wagging tongues not be one of them when you both gave them the ammunition to wag about."

Dante, who had not been terribly happy with his surroundings the entire funeral took a breath to say something, but Lord David cut him off. "A verbal explosion is precisely what those old biddies are hoping for. Do not give them the satisfaction. Young lord, you have some thinking to do. I suggest you ask advice of Lord Rufus, if you need any, but keep your opinions of society and it's silly rules to yourself."

Then he turned to his daughter, who was looking very much abashed despite Lord David's soft tone. He could have been shouting at her and she wouldn't have felt more miserable. "Genieve, I know you have much to discuss with your friends about the ball tomorrow and the lethal trouble that awaits there. Do not leave the sight of Lady Ariana or Lady Eclair. I will expect you home before dark."

"Yes, father." She answered meekly. The lord took in her distress, and the fact that Dante was obviously feeding off her emotions, and softened.

He gave her a light hug and said lovingly, "I only want the best for you. I worry and I fret worse than your mother some days. If I seem harsh, it's because I love you."

Geni hugged him back, relieved that she hadn't disappointed him more than his fatherly regard could overcome. "I love you, too, Father." Lord David patted her cheek then walked toward Darian.

Lady Eclair, satisfied that nothing too drastic would mar the solemnity of this gathering, took herself from the young couple to give them room to sort themselves out. She wandered over to the fresh grave and stared at it. Ariana and Rufus made their slow way to her side.

"Eclair, I know you have heard this so many times today - but I am so sorry this has happened." Ariana said, placing a gloved hand on Eclair's black-clad shoulder.

"Too many." Eclair whispered, almost to herself.

"Too many 'I'm sorry's?" Ariana asked.

"Too many goodbys." With that, heaven took pity on them all, and it started to rain.

Éclair didn?t really remember what all happened the rest of the day. There was a short conversation about the ball to come, and how they would need to be more alert than ever. Their determination to stop Jack had risen to new heights, and none of them wanted to see any more lives lost to that haunt of a madman. Ariana had offered to make sure that Geni get home safely and then sent Éclair on her way. Other than minor details the day was quite vague in her mind. She remembered telling off old lady gossip, the kind words the vicar had given her, and reaching for Nathan?s hand on the carriage ride home, but most of the day was an emotional blur.

Now she found herself sitting in the front parlor, though it was the place which Edward was killed it somehow brought her a sense a peace, as if he was still there waiting attentively. Éclair glanced down at the place where the Persian rug once lay; it had been removed due to the blood that now stained it. Her eyes moved slowly to the place on the mantle where Vincent?s sword sat on display. Its hilt glistened in the low light of the night, Edwards blood had been rinsed off after the authorities had finished their investigation.

?Milady.? Clohe?s voice broke the silence of parlor. ?I do wish that you would go to bed and get some rest. We are all tired from recent events, you most of all. Sir Nathan is worried sick about you, and well Milady I can?t say I don?t blame him.?

?Thank You Clohe, I only need but a few minutes and I?ll be right up.? Éclair replied softly, giving a weak smile. With that Clohe left the room to prepare Éclair?s bed.

Éclair sat alone in the dimly lit room, the only sound was her own breathing.

[COLOR=Red]?I told you that you were useless. Now not only are you useless, but now you have caused the death of some one dear to you.? [/COLOR] Éclair knew the voice in her mind all too well.

?You?re wrong.? Her voice was only a whisper.

[COLOR=Red]?Am I Éclair? You shouldn?t lie, it doesn?t suit you.? [/COLOR] The voice replied in its sadistic tone.

?You have challenged me for the last time, and I will prove that to you, if not to myself.? Éclair stated firmly.

[COLOR=Red]?Very well Éclair, I look forward to your performance.? [/COLOR]

OOC: Sorry its not extraordinarily long and beautiful, but there ya go! Kudos to Miss Relena on the lovely funeral by the way!

Rufus and Ariana had made sure that Geni and Dante had arrived home safely and on time. The situation the young couple was now in was not a pretty one to say the least. But they would all be attending Almacks, and it the current state of jackdom that was all that mattered.

"I truely feel sorry for Miss Eclair." Rufus replied quietly as the carriage rolled along. "Two people so close to her in just over a year. That can't be good for the young girls heart."

"I agree, I understand what its like living with the constant reminder of what've lost. Its not an easy task." Ariana glanced out the window, the rain had not let up since it started. "Infact its quite painful." She brought her hand up to Rufus' face, tracing the scar lightly with her finger tips. "A reminder of how close I cam to loosing somthing just as dear."

Rufus took Arianas hand in his own and kissed it softly.

"Eclair's a strong girl, just as you are. And I know that you and the others will destroy Jack, I have faith in that."

OOC : Short I know but I just didn't know what to write. Oh yeah and fabulous posting ladies, wonderfly deppressing as usual! Quick grab the tissue box! :animecry: