OtakuBoards

Fullmetal Alchemist's Biggest Fan Contest!

Momiji Love

[CENTER][SIZE=1]This was featured in theotaku's news a while back. I was really interested and decided to try my luck. I entered an essay the night before the dead-line,figuring it wouldn't be so great because I pretty much made it up as I went and had to edit about half of it to get it under 100 words.

I felt bad for Florida residents because they cannot enter.

And today,the day the winners were to be announced. I was kinda thinking about it as I watched "InuYasha The Movie 2: The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass".

And at about 12:25 pm, I got a call.

The caller ID said,"Central Florida". Thats when I first freaked out. I answered and the guy asked for my mom. She was at work so I asked if I could take a message for her. The guy simply said no and that he'd call back later. I was so freaked out by then I didn't question him further.

As I hung up I started to put the pieces together. I figured they'd call from Florida because you can't enter there. But still, I am unsure.

Do you think this is a good thing, or am I getting worked up for nothing?[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well not to discourage you, but I often get calls from which come up as "Florida" on the caller ID ever so often. They ask for my mother and when I tell them she isn't here and I ask if I may take a message they simply reply "No that's ok. I'll call back later". Many tele-marketers will tell you that. Now if you entered an essay to a contest I would think you would of had added your own name to it, and if so I don't believe they'd ask for your mom. I'm not exactly clear on what the full details of this contest are or even what it's all about. Without that information there's really nothing anyone else can tell you. I'm also a bit confused on why you've come to think that Florida would be the state calling you. Did you send your entry to florida? If what you said is true and that the winners have been announced then you should do some research on google to find if you can dig up any more information involving contest winners.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Actually, my experience with telemarketers is that they mask their numbers. So you'll end up getting something like "CALLER UNKNOWN." And I only get calls from Florida when my grandmother is calling us to say hello -- she lives in Orlando.

So I would say there's reasonable cause for you to be worked up -- never abandon hope! (Shame on you, Helba. For shame...)[/SIZE]

[quote name='Retribution][SIZE=1'](Shame on you, Helba. For shame...)[/SIZE][/quote]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Well, I'm just giving out my personal, logical view on it ^_^;; I never said that it couldn't of been a call about the contest. What I was trying to say is to not get your hopes up and get hurt. That's all. It sure would be a very cool experience to have won a fan contest of any sort though.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[quote name='Hells Angel']arent you..in the wrong forum..*doesnt really know is new*[/quote]
[COLOR=royalblue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]I see this thread as more about being the winner of a contest rather it being focused on Fullmetal Alchemist. As long as it remains that way, placing it in the Otaku Lounge shouldn't be a problem. If this does turn into a thread focused around FMA then I will move it to the Anime Lounge.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I agree with Helba on this, this thread is about winning a contest versus about the subject of the contest itself.

FUNimation is based out of the Dallas/Fort Worth area and since they are running the contest I think they would call you from their headquarters in Texas. I know when I won a Full Metal Alchemist Fan Art contest my prizes were sent directly from Texas. Never give up hope but there really isn't any reason to get worked up over a mystery phone call from somebody in Florida.

I am not sure on this, someone from Florida may know the answer, but is the reason Florida residents not allowed to enter because of some restrictions on contests in that state? I have always wondered that when watching commercials for contest...trips or prizes...on different shows on HGTV, FoodNetwork and the like, about how Florida residents are exempt. Does anyone have an answer to this contest question?

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Okay. For Helba's bit about them asking for my mom. I am under age (14) so my mom had to verify my entry. So I figure that they'd have to tell my mother anything about results.
My entry was submitted online.(Did anyone even need to know that?)
But Panda has a point about FUNimation being located in Texas and it would be more logical for them to call from there. But yeah.

We also have our name on the tele-marketer "Do Not Call List" and we only get a few phone calls from them every month or so. And they come up as "Unknown Name" on the caller ID. Everything else shows either the business or family name of the caller. (Also I don't know if this info is relevant to anything.)

Just for your info,(and not very good info) they haven't called back yet. My mom said they might call back today,and if they do I should ask questions and tell them that she won't be home until after 4:30.

Thanks for the response![/SIZE][/CENTER]