OtakuBoards

Diseases!

Zhara

[SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Well, I'm going to pull a Derald and make a thread about one of my obsessions; exotic diseases. Now, there are to be NO images of the symptoms in here, so if you post Smallpox, do [B]NOT[/B] put in a picture of someone with the disease. What I would like you to do, however, is post a picture or an attachment of the pathogen, but you don't have to. You can post viruses or bacteria, just no poisons or toxic chemicals. Oh, and don't plagerise Wikipedia or an encyclopedia for your post, just summarize it.

So, now that we have the rules down, I'll post the first disease.

[CENTER][B]Q Fever[/B][/CENTER]

[IMG]http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/images/q-fever_sm.jpg[/IMG]

Its scientific name is [I]Coxiella burnetii[/I] and it is one of the most infectious diseases known to man, with the inhalation of only a few of the bacteria causing infection, and only one is needed to cause the disease in some people. Because of that, it's labeled by the CDC as a level B biological warfare agent.

Symptoms are usually flu-life in the beginning, accompanied by a fever of 104 to 105○F along with muscle ache, loss of appetite, severe headache and others. The mortality rate is as low as one to two percent, but after the symptoms of the disease have ended, it can resurface with heart complications.

A vaccination is available, but only if you live in Australia. It would normally be provided to people working with animals like sheep and goats, seeing as how they carry the pathogen.

Well, I think that's about it on Q fever. I wonder why it's called that?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Alyssa, Alyssa... Honestly. Diseases. I can't get you to shush about them in real life, and now you're on about them on here. Lol, that's okay - it's interesting. And now, onto Ebola HF!

-copy/pastes-

Ebola HF typically appears in sporadic outbreaks, usually spread within a health-care setting (a situation known as amplification). It is likely that sporadic, isolated cases occur as well, but go unrecognized. A table showing a chronological list of known cases and outbreaks is available [URL=http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/spb/mnpages/dispages/ebotabl.htm]here.[/URL]

The exact origin, locations, and natural habitat (known as the "natural reservoir") of Ebola virus remain unknown. However, on the basis of available evidence and the nature of similar viruses, researchers believe that the virus is zoonotic (animal-borne) and is normally maintained in an animal host that is native to the African continent. A similar host is probably associated with Ebola-Reston isolated from infected cynomolgous monkeys that were imported to the United States and Italy from the Philippines. The virus is not known to be native to other continents, such as North America.

Infection with Ebola virus in humans is incidental -- humans do not "carry" the virus. Because the natural reservoir of the virus is unknown, the manner in which the virus first appears in a human at the start of an outbreak has not been determined. However, researchers have hypothesized that the first patient becomes infected through contact with an infected animal.
After the first case-patient in an outbreak setting (often called the index case) is infected, humans can transmit the virus in several ways. People can be exposed to Ebola virus from direct contact with the blood and/or secretions of an infected person. This is why the virus has often been spread through the families and friends of infected persons: in the course of feeding, holding, or otherwise caring for them, family members and friends would come into close contact with such secretions. People can also be exposed to Ebola virus through contact with objects, such as needles, that have been contaminated with infected secretions.

Symptoms include: High fever, headache, muscle aches, stomach pain, fatigure, diarrhea, chest pain, shock, sore throat, hiccups, rash, red and itchy eyes, vomiting blood, bloody diarreha, blindness, bleeding, and death.

Love disease. -shudders-

[/SIZE]