OtakuBoards

What is your opinion of the Dixie Chicks?

ladycathren

[size=1]They play decent music.

I really don't have any problem with them. They're good. They can say whatever they want about Bush, I don't give a darn.

I don't see why people made a big deal about that whole thing, anyway. Rap, Emo, Metal, Punk, etc. groups poke fun at/criticize/yell at the gonvernment all the time.

I think they are rather subdued, comparitively. And I most definitely will continue to listen to them, same as I always have. They don't play my favorite music, mind you, but sometimes I just need some Goodbye Earl to make me appreciate my life.

As for buying thier CD, I doubt it. I'm sure I will download a few songs [LEGALLY, of course], but that's it. [/size]

[quote name='sakurasuka][size=1']I don't see why people made a big deal about that whole thing, anyway. Rap, Emo, Metal, Punk, etc. groups poke fun at/criticize/yell at the gonvernment all the time.[/size][/quote]
"Somehow, bad-mouthing the President in a foreign land during a time of war doesn't seem to sit well with the NASCAR crowd."

I can't remember which comedian said that, but it pretty much sums up why what they said was a big deal. The Dixie Chicks' target fanbase are Southerners who listen to Country music, which is typically a Conservative group of people. Imagine Timothy Leary speaking out against psychological drugs-- you're looking at one disappointed and betrayed fanbase.

Also, [b]nobody[/b] likes it when singers, musicians, and actors speak out about politics. Your fans like you because you're pretty/funny, and you've got an entertaining talent; when we want to know what's on your mind, we'll ask. Now stop trying to use your fans for your own agenda.

[quote name='Cloud-Strife']I dont really listen to them and all that, they've had some good albums, but i heard that they lip-sing. My mom went to their concert and saw the lead singers mouth move different with the words.[/quote]

Err... It's more of a rule than an exception to lip-synch in concerts, did you know that? I don't like it either, but at least it prevents the singers from sounding horrible after a possible night out or something like that...

What comes to the Dixie Chicks, we Finnish people aren't much of fans of country music, but I respect their courage to say what they think, despite all the "why can't you just shut up and sing prettily?" comments.

People need to stand up to what they believe, no matter what their profession or status in the community is. That's the only way the world can ever change.