OtakuBoards

Superman Returns

MrsKakashi

I saw Superman Returns tonite, let me tell you it was an awesome movie. Brandon Routh did an awesome job of playing Clark Kent/Superman, with being an actor that isnt known. I highly recommended it to everyone. Cant wait to see the sequel.

Guest Milady
This one was very different than the others. My brother saw it before me and told me to watch the second superman with General Zod to refresh my memory. However, I saw very little connections between the two. Again, very different. Some I liked, some I didn't. I say 4/5 stars. I've always loved the return of a hero theme. And yes, I also think how much Brandon looks like C.R. is uncanny.

[color=#c00000] I'd say that his resemblance to Reeve is the reason Routh got the job. Heck, I'm just looking at their last names and realising they both have the same amount of letters and start with "R"! At the end of the day, Bryan Singer wanted to do a movie that was a loose sequel to the first two movies (wisely disregarding 3 and 4) so having Brandon Routh look like Christopher Reeve, and Kevin Spacey look like Gene Hackman, wasn't purely coincidental.

The movie had a great feel about it from the moment the opening credits rolled in similar fashion to the first two movies. Awesome special effects peppered the movie and at times it was hard to distinguish between Routh and a pixellated representation of him.

Though, for a movie that is supposed to sequelise the first two movies, I wans a little dissapointed in the fact that [spoiler] Clark Kent reveals to Lois in Superman 2 that he is the mant of steel himself, yet in "Returns" She has either conveniently ignored this or it has been forgotten completely. Her reactions to the return of Kent and Superman are starkly contrasted, this made for a good sequence in these scenes, but was still, at the same time, annoying.[/spoiler]

Kevin Spacey does an excellent job as Lex Luthor, the chopice to cast him was definately a good idea. He gets right into the skin of the Luthor than Gene bought us in the originals, and delivers such a comparitave performance, that I could have sworn that it was actually Hackman in the role at times, it was uncanny indeed.

The special effects are just wonderful, and the thrilling climax of the movie is alone worth shelling out for tickets. Bryan Singer has done Superman proud in the face of high skepticism and doubts he could pull this one off.[/color]

[quote name='Rapture Ruckus][color=#c00000]Though, for a movie that is supposed to sequelise the first two movies, I wans a little dissapointed in the fact that [spoiler] Clark Kent reveals to Lois in Superman 2 that he is the mant of steel himself, yet in "Returns" She has either conveniently ignored this or it has been forgotten completely. Her reactions to the return of Kent and Superman are starkly contrasted, this made for a good sequence in these scenes, but was still, at the same time, annoying.[/spoiler'][/color][/quote]
Well, if you remember the end of Superman 2, [spoiler]Clark gave Lois what I like to call "The Amnesia Kiss." He met her in her office one morning, kissed her, and she suddenly started acting like Clark and Superman were two different people again.[/spoiler]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=SeaGreen]Well I finally got to see this movie the other day and boy was I impressed! I had seen the other superman movies but to be honest I wasn?t all that impressed with them and Lois Lane, blech! I absolutely detested her character in the other movies. So when I heard about this movie I was not planning on seeing it.

But one of my friends did and she told me that it was really good and that even I would like it and she was right! I loved how it started off after the other movies and yet for the most part previous events were not a factor. Well other than [spoiler]Lex Luther still being a major villain that is. Before he was just a funny villain and I liked how they made his character a bit more on the darker side this time around.[/spoiler]

Even more surprising is I actually liked how they did Lois Lane! I really liked how they kept certain aspects of her character and yet did away with the more annoying selfish, whiney bratty aspect of her personality. It was like they took the essence of what she was suppose to be like and left the other stuff behind. Though I suppose that?s just personal opinion. ^_~ I just found her extremely annoying in the other movies.

The other thing I really liked was the special effects. I think they did an excellent job with them. Especially the scene where [spoiler]a bullet bounces off of his eye. [/spoiler] ^_^[/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=SeaGreen']Even more surprising is I actually liked how they did Lois Lane! I really liked how they kept certain aspects of her character and yet did away with the more annoying selfish, whiney bratty aspect of her personality. It was like they took the essence of what she was suppose to be like and left the other stuff behind. Though I suppose that?s just personal opinion. ^_~ I just found her extremely annoying in the other movies.[/COLOR][/quote]
It probably helps that Lois wasn't played by Margot Kidder, this time around. I know most fans have a romanticized view of the old Superman films, but Margot Kidder is honestly the most annoying actress to ever play Lois Lane. It's not just the way she was written, either. It was the attitude, and that grating voice of her's.