Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[color=indigo][b][size=3]MUSASHI[/size][/b] [i]Eiji Yoshikawa[/i]

I am sure that some of you have read this book already, but if you haven't and are interested in feudal Japan or just in kick-*** swordsmen then this is the book for you. It is a fictional account of the early life of Miyamoto Musashi. While the book is long you it is very easy to read. It is so good that I am reading it for the third time...:all: [/color]
Posted
Is it a account of the actual Sengoku period or post-Sengoku? Both are considered fuedal Japan. If it is actually Sengoku, does it include any account of any of the 5 battles on the Kawanakajima plains?

-Justin
Posted
[color=indigo]The story takes place in the eary 1600's after the battle of Sekigahara during the begining of the Tokugawa Shogunate. It does't really have any large scale battles, it is the story of a Swordsman trying to live by the Way of the Sword (following the example of the Art of War)[/color]
Posted
So it does make reference to Sun Tzu. If the Tokugowa had already taken the position of Shogun then it is post-Sengoku. Damn the Tokugawa! Uesugi should've won!

-Justin
Posted
[SIZE=1]Ok, I'm seeing some familiar names but none of it is making sense :confuse2: Lol.. though the only place I recognize Musashi from is from the PS game [u]Brave Fencer Musashi[/u]:therock:[/SIZE]
Posted
Sengoku: "Country at War" Time in Japanese history(1400A.D.?-1600A.D.) when the entire country was at civil war.
Tokugawa: A clan of fuedal Japan which ultimately defeated all others.
Shogunate: Supreme military ruler, actually supreme ruler period, as the emperor was just a religous figurehead.
Shogun: Short for Shogunate.
Kawanakajima: A vast plain where 5 battles were fought between Taisho Uesugi Kenshin and Taisho Takenda Shingen. The 4th was one of the bloodiest and most famous battles in Japanese history.
Sun Tzu: Chinese author/general/philosopher. He recorded the sessions which became [i]The Art of War[/i] in 400 B.C.
Uesugi: Clan of feudal Japan which ultimately succumbed to the Takenda clan when Takenda Shingen had Uesugi Kenshin assasinated.
Taisho: General.
Sekigahara: A battle at the beginning of the post-Sengoku period.
Takenda Shingen: Taisho who battled the Uesugi clan at the Kawanakajima plains. He ultimately won through assasination.
Uesugi Kenshin: Taisho who battled the Takenda clan at the Kawanakajima plains. He ultimately lost because he was assasinated. Details about his assasination are, for the most part unknown but, most say it happened at his out-house. In the most popular version the ninja who killed him is said to have waited UNDERNEATH Kenshin's rest area for 3 days and nights awaiting Kenshin to come and use it. After Kenshin finally did so, the ninja killed him...

Now you know...

-Justin
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Darkness Bu [/i]
[B]do you know where I can find that? [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo] The book is available just at just about any large bookstore, you may have to ask them to order it. And Justin, I think you would really like this book it is extremely bloody, Musashi is known as the "Sword Saint" in Japan, there is an account of him taking on the entire Yoshinoka school of fencing at once (between 20 and 40 people). [/color]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B]

[color=indigo] The book is available just at just about any large bookstore, you may have to ask them to order it. And Justin, I think you would really like this book it is extremely bloody, Musashi is known as the "Sword Saint" in Japan, there is an account of him taking on the entire Yoshinoka school of fencing at once (between 20 and 40 people). [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
Bah, I could take him...No, I probably couldn't. I've studied a little Ken Do but I'm better at traditional western fencing that traditional Japanese fencing. And western blades are no match for katanas...

-Justin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...