Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Is anyone japanese or fluent in japanese?


Recommended Posts

Guest hazardouscandy
Posted
I have really wanted to get my kids names tattooed on me in japanese. I think the japanese alphabet is so beautiful. I have tried learning how to transcribe english into japanese but I'm not really getting it. If anyone is japanese or knows japanese can you help me? My kids names are Charlie, Jade, Jack, Ella, and Sebastion.

My tattoo will look like this:

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25679&stc=1[/IMG]

The text is probably wrong. I downloaded a japanese font. Please help!!! I don't want to end up with the words "noodle" or "poop" instead of "jack" or "ella".
Posted
I don't know enough japanese to tell you, but i can relay you to a website with Japanese Kanji for a good amount of names in english (as well as the romanji, but i'm sure it's the kanji you want to get in the tatoos).

Don't think i'm supposed to be linking it, but if you go to a search engine and type in "takase.com" you should see it. It should be called Takase Studios. Hope it helps.
Posted
Heck, I'll give it a shot. I'll just convert these to katakana (I don't think kanji would be possible, although bk may know more than me):

チャールリ

ジェイド

ジャアク

エッラ

セバスシオン

I invite those more knowledgeable than I to do it better (I'm especially unconvinced by "sebastion" - do you think that would work better with a シ or a チ?)
Posted
[QUOTE=Fasteriskhead]Heck, I'll give it a shot. I'll just convert these to katakana (I don't think kanji would be possible, although bk may know more than me):

チャールリ

ジェイド

ジャアク

エッラ

セバスシオン

I invite those more knowledgeable than I to do it better (I'm especially unconvinced by "sebastion" - do you think that would work better with a シ or a チ?)[/QUOTE]

I can read and write in hiragana and katakana (although I'm not Japanese. Sorry)
I think "chi" (second character) would work better. But that's just my opinion. I've been teaching myself Japanese so I might be wrong.
Posted
[font=trebuchet ms]It would certainly be possible to find some kanji which, when put together, are pronounced as your children's names. I can hunt around and find some if you like, but there's a good chance the meaning will be utterly random - it could be pronounced [i]"Charlie"[/i] but still mean "noodle" or "poop".

I'll have a look-see, try and find you some that won't look too stupid to the casual Japanese passerby.

Oh, and typing their names, on a QWERTY keyboard, using a Japanese font, won't work. All Japanese fonts do is arbitrarily assign characters to buttons on the keyboard - the one that comes up when you type letter "A" has no relation to the letter "A" at all. It's just where it happened to end up on the key-map.[/font]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...