OtakuBoards

Rush Limbaugh runs Obama parody

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Okay I know I'm not around here that much, maybe if I got my mail alerts and less work I would be... anyways when I was getting readyfor work this morning and ended up listening to the Today Show and heard this thing about Rush Limbaugh playing some 'racist parody' about Barack Obama. Now I have to wonder, why is it that he can have some parody song played about a presidential candidate and not receive any flack, but Imus (who I'm not a fan of) isn't allowed to say stupid things about a female basketball team.

[URL=http://themoderatevoice.com/entertainment/12489/rush-limbaugh-runs-obama-race-lampoon-in-wake-of-imus-firing/]Click here please[/URL]

I supplied the link, and I have to go back to work, but share some opinions and hopefully I'll come back later.[/color][/font]

[color=deeppink]This isn't a parody of Obama, this is a parody of a criticism of Obama. Columnist David Ehrenstein (who is a black man, by the way) called Obama this in a clumn he wrote. Limbaugh thought it was funny, decided to get a crappy Al Sharpton impersonator, and put it to music.

That being said, it's still a racist song. Even if we are to throw away the "magic negro" bit, there's still a reference to CPT in there that is unquestionably racist and not present in Ehrensetin's article. I'm not one for censorship, however, so he can keep on saying what he wants. If his audience gets tired of crap like this (which they won't, considering Limbaugh's core audience), then he'll get thrown off the air for low ratings. If they don't, he'll keep saying what he wants to say. I couldn't care either way.

Besdies, Paul Shanklin's parodies suck. They certainly don't deserve this level of attention.[/color]

[size=1]The video link didn't work, but I searched it on youtube myself.

In any event, things like this are just disgusting. It's amazing people like Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly have audiences. The fact that they do and are very popular says quite a bit about the state of America.[/size]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] Okay forget the fact that a five year old could have written a better parody. Do you think it's right that Rush (I honestly [b]alomst[/b] feel sorry for the guy since he has such a horrid first name) gets away with the same things that got Imus fired? Or is there some kind of double standard?

Honestly I can't stand either 'personality' and feel Limbaugh is synonomous with windbag, but sometimes you have to wonder[/color][/font]

[COLOR=goldenrod][QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]The video link didn't work, but I searched it on youtube myself.

In any event, things like this are just disgusting. It's amazing people like Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'Reilly have audiences. The fact that they do and are very popular says quite a bit about the state of America.[/size][/QUOTE]As much as I dislike what Rush did with this parody, I have to admit to being one of those Americans who listen to him. Now before someone rushes in here with the '[I]I can't believe you like Rush![/I]' statements. I'll let you know why I've listened to him.

It actually started when I first started driving a Semi Truck. I would catch his show while driving on the radio. And even though I didn't always like it, some of the shows he did were down right hilarious. It sort of became a habit while I was driving, since it was a nice way to pass the time, after all driving down the same stretches of freeway after a while gets pretty mind numbing without something to break it up. lol

I don't listen to him very often anymore and I certainly don't agree with everything he does, but honestly, to think the state of America is bad since they listen to Rush Limbaugh or any other person and actually like it, is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Though I certainly think some things shouldn't have been aired, this being one of them. [/COLOR]

The reason Imus was fired was both hypocritical and biased.

Ok, so he called them nappy headed 'hos, but who invented the slang?

If Imus had been black there wouldnt have been nearly an uproar over it.

It kind of remindes me of black people saying they are stereotyped but then we have rappers boasting about hos and big cars.

If you want to stop being stereotyped than stop proving it right! I'm not saying all black people are the same but damn i am getting tired of gangster wannabes everywhere i turn.

I don't think Imus should have been fired honestly, fire every dj that plays a song with the words nappy and ho then come talk to me.

[QUOTE=vegeta rocker]The reason Imus was fired was both hypocritical and biased.

Ok, so he called them nappy headed 'hos, but who invented the slang?

If Imus had been black there wouldnt have been nearly an uproar over it.

It kind of remindes me of black people saying they are stereotyped but then we have rappers boasting about hos and big cars.

If you want to stop being stereotyped than stop proving it right! I'm not saying all black people are the same but damn i am getting tired of gangster wannabes everywhere i turn.[/QUOTE]
[size=1]To be totally honest, I think there's a degree of validity to this. However, you neglect to account for the intent of the speaker, which is heavily linked to the race of the speaker.

So if a Jew says "Man, Jews are ugly!" you treat it differently than if a non-Jew said the same thing. It's because it's assumed one's intent is non-serious (or less serious than someone outside the group in question).

So when Imus said these girls were "nappy headed hos" it was assumed that his intent was to be racist on some level. When a black person says that, there is less emphasis on the quote because they are part of the same group -- they are "nappy headed".

[QUOTE]I don't think Imus should have been fired honestly, fire every dj that plays a song with the words nappy and ho then come talk to me.[/QUOTE]
Well, a DJ playing a song that says that makes no sense because the DJ isn't saying it. The artist is. In theory, you would go after the artists... and again, I agree with that [mostly]. Imus got fired because it's illegal to be racist and he got called on it. Was it because he was old and white? Well, it certainly didn't help his case.[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]To be totally honest, I think there's a degree of validity to this. However, you neglect to account for the intent of the speaker, which is heavily linked to the race of the speaker.

So when Imus said these girls were "nappy headed hos" it was assumed that his intent was to be racist on some level. When a black person says that, there is less emphasis on the quote because they are part of the same group -- they are "nappy headed".

Well, a DJ playing a song that says that makes no sense because the DJ isn't saying it. The artist is. In theory, you would go after the artists... and again, I agree with that [mostly]. Imus got fired because it's illegal to be racist and he got called on it. Was it because he was old and white? Well, it certainly didn't help his case.[/size][/QUOTE]

I get that his intent was racist and all that, but I still believe that he should have gotten a warning first. I guess I am just jaded from hearing black DJs' toss those words around like they are nothing.