OtakuBoards

Rythym video games

Korey

Well, in response to the Elite Beat Agents / Ouendan mentions, I would have to say that when I first got a look at Ouendan it made me want to get a DS for the very first time, so it definitely impressed me to say the least. EBA seemed like a natural extension of the game to North America, given Ouendan's import popularity, but I tried it a couple of times and didn't like the song list one bit.

However, someone did end up making another free PC version of the game, entitled [url=http://www.thephorse.net/beatclick][u]ClickBeat[/u][/url]. Though the concept of clicking the buttons with the mouse isn't quite as interesting as with the DS stylus...not to mention the extremely bare-bones nature of the project which lacks Ouendan's/EBA's charm and story, the game is free, and a worthwhile try for someone who wants to get a glimpse of what those games are like. Also, the basic package of music includes a song called "Midnight Coffee", which may just be one of the most awesome rhythm game songs I've ever heard.

There is one more game I'd like to mention. It's known as Ninja Agent Galli, and it's a program based on Beatmania that a band from Japan known as the Ninja Action Team developed. [url=http://ninjaactionteam.sakura.ne.jp/][u]Here is their website.[/u][/url] To get the game, check the sidebar on the left for the third option written in kanji from the top (can't read kanji, sorry) and select BMS to get the songs, and BMS PLAYER to get the program you use to play the songs (it's also compressed as an .lzh file, so you'll need an archiver that can extract those files). When you do play the songs, you see the notes fall from the ceiling as in Beatmania, but you control the tiny Ninja Agent Galli sitting at the bottom of the screen, whom you then command to strike the notes before they reach the bottom. It's like a twisted rhythm game/platformer hybrid...and features some of the Ninja Action Team's most amusing tunes. I recommend "No Sumoking" and "Born". Also, Ninja Agent Galli is capable of various special powers to help him smash notes more quickly, but as the site is in Japanese I have no idea how to execute most of them. Patience and a sense of humor are of the essence when trying to install and play Ninja Agent Galli, so if you have some spare time I suggest you go pick it up.

If, however, you still cannot install or play it for whatever reason...then let me know and I'll email you with instructions when I can.

Sounds interesting, but I already have BM for my PC. I could probably get the songs right now from Bemanistyle. Which by the way, Bemanistyle is a great place for those who are interested in the rhythym game commmunity to get to know each other. We have communities for every BEMANI game, including DDR, Beatmania, Guitar Freaks, Percussion Freaks, Para Para Paradise and Pop'n Music. It also provides places for those who are interested in meeting other BEMANI gamers to chat and organize tournaments and such. I really recommend it to everyone who likes playing these types of games.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I actually have my doubts that there are a lot of Ninja Action Team songs out there, even on BMS, as the only simfiles I've seen for their music apart from their own website are part of Japanese Stepmania packs. Really, I would still suggest that you give Ninja Agent Galli a try even if you have a Beatmania simulator already, as it is a rather amusing parody with some very unique music.

On a side note, I am curious to know what files or packs you already have for Stepmania. I am still pretty bad at keyboard playing myself (preferring to use a USB controller), so I tend to gravitate towards pad files even though I currently lack the USB converter to play them on my pad. Personally, I think that the Japanese simfile makers usually capture the spirit of DDR best when they create song packs, so I would suggest that you look up [URL="http://foonmix.nothing.sh/"][u]the Foonmix series[/u][/URL] if you haven't already, as well as [URL="http://dee.manbow.org/popcandy/"][u]Pop Candy[/u][/URL] or [URL="http://st2.blacktale.net/"][u]Strawberry Steps[/u][/URL]. Again, though, these are all pad files so most of you might be bored at the difficulty level (except for those who get Foonmix and play "Re Routes Remix Reloaded" on the harder difficulties, which would be excruciating to play on a pad).

Anyway, I'd like to hear what sort of Stepmania files you guys have that I might not, although I must say that I do have quite a few already (over 1300, last time I checked). Also, I may end up linking some of the stepfiles I've made (or am making) if there is any interest in them in the future.

On Bemanistyle, I found the whole song list for beatmania IIDX red and downloaded that. The steps are okay, but not all the songs are pad worthy (******* you Scoprion Fire) most of them require a keyboard of some kind....T_T. I also have all the mixes available due to torrent usage (stepmania mega pack). My current theme is the theme for Beatmania IIDX red. I know that they released a Supernova theme, but I don't like it as much as my Beatmania scheme.

I also have some video game songs, such as Jenova theme from FF7, the theme song from DOA:XBV and the Sigma's Fortress from Megaman X5. Does that sound good enough for you?