OtakuBoards

Plagiarism Question

InusDemoness

[COLOR="Blue"]Does theOtaku ban plagiarists? I noticed this yesterday after report several stolen images, all posted as wallpapers by the same person. The plagiarized wallpapers were removed but the offending member was allowed to stay on the site and all her other works are still up. Isn't it unwise to let people who have stolen art work to such a magnitude stay on the site since they are more likely to do it again?[/COLOR]

Warning are issued first along with the deletion of the offending submissions to let the member know what they did was wrong. If they break the rules again after being issued a warning then they are banned. Many members, once given a warning, will never be a problem again.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='InusDemoness'][COLOR="Blue"]Does theOtaku ban plagiarists? I noticed this yesterday after report several stolen images, all posted as wallpapers by the same person. The plagiarized wallpapers were removed but the offending member was allowed to stay on the site and all her other works are still up. Isn't it unwise to let people who have stolen art work to such a magnitude stay on the site since they are more likely to do it again?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]There's another thing to consider, many cases I deal with are nothing more than someone finding something they like and putting it in. They aren't claiming they made it, but rather they misunderstood the purpose of submitting a wallpaper or fan art, they were using it like a photobucket account and simply displaying it. I don't consider that plagiarism at all though I still issue a warning. But like Panda said, someone like that usually never does it again.

Also, people find things and rehost them elsewhere, making it easy to accidentally find something and not realize that it's a wallpaper. Usually that too was not intentional so I'm pretty lenient in those cases since again the member usually doesn't do it again.

So in the end, it would be more unwise to instantly ban people when there are plenty of them who never intended to steal in the first place. And like Panda said we tend to give people a chance to continue since even those who did often never do it again.[/FONT][/COLOR]