OtakuBoards

X-Men (I'm confused)

are i

[SIZE="1"][FONT="microsoft sans serif"]Normally I try to stay away from classic American comic series, simply because the story lines and publications are so ridiculously convoluted. (Not to mention, to get the back story, I just end up reading a ton of cliche, poorly drawn stuff from the olden days).

However, I really like x-men, and I'm determined to get into the comics. I just have no idea where to start (chronologically), and otherwise what's actually worth reading.

So... if you can comprehend the x-men comics, please help :animeswea[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='are i'][SIZE="1"][FONT="microsoft sans serif"]Normally I try to stay away from classic American comic series, simply because the story lines and publications are so ridiculously convoluted. (Not to mention, to get the back story, I just end up reading a ton of cliche, poorly drawn stuff from the olden days).

However, I really like x-men, and I'm determined to get into the comics. I just have no idea where to start (chronologically), and otherwise what's actually worth reading.

So... if you can comprehend the x-men comics, please help :animeswea[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]First of all, welcome to OtakuBoards. I hope you enjoy your stay. :whoops:

Secondly, X-Men continuity is incredibly convoluted. My best advice would be to read older X-Men stories collected in trade paperback and hardcover editions. In most cases all you will need is just a working knowledge of the characters to enjoy the story, since these collections contain entire storylines.

As a new reader you might be interested in checking out [b]Ultimate X-Men[/b] or [b]X-Men: First Class[/b].

Ultimate X-Men features most of the 'major' characters, and should be readily available in collected format at your local bookstore or online. It's probably best to start with the earliest volume you can find, since the quality of Ultimate X-Men drops off after volume 9 or so. Ultimate X-Men (like all 'Ultimate' titles) has its' own continuity, so you won't have to worry about the stories tying into other titles.

X-Men: First Class focuses on the team's early years and tells a lot of single issue (one shot) stories. That won't be available at your local bookstore, but if you find a comic book shop near you it's worth checking out.

As for the 'main' X-Men books, I wouldn't even bother. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Well, geez. Everything I've read of X-Men is completely out of order. Mostly new stuff that reads like fan-fiction and such. I tried reading the older ones, but I really like good art. And the old, original stuff is... well, old. I have a great respect for it. But it's old.
I say start at the very, very beginning. If you can find it. =/
Sorry to not be of great help, but I had to reply the second I saw the word 'X-Men'.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Eh thanks for the welcome :p

And the tips, for that matter. Having a point of reference in the sea of x-men is unbelievably helpful.
I'll check out the Ultimate series :)

[QUOTE='[Sound_Nin];805405'][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Well, geez. Everything I've read of X-Men is completely out of order. Mostly new stuff that reads like fan-fiction and such. I tried reading the older ones, but I really like good art. And the old, original stuff is... well, old. I have a great respect for it. But it's old.
I say start at the very, very beginning. If you can find it. =/
Sorry to not be of great help, but I had to reply the second I saw the word 'X-Men'.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Exactly. I'm a die-hard Batman fan, but when it comes to the old stuff I just can't face the artwork. Plus the writing leaves something to be desired (of course... that's with most comics >_>)
I guess it's the concept that makes them cool. That, or all the cartoons :animesmil[/SIZE]

[LEFT][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Well just read enough of the old series' to get the gist of the plot and characters and stuff, and move on to something a little more appealing.

Batman, eh? That's even older. Even older than that is Superman, stretching back to the 30's, I believe. Maybe even 20's. But Superman doesn't appeal to me much, the old stuff is alright.
I like Green Arrow, though. And that's not easy to find.
Yeah, it really is the concept. Back then, the art and the plot for X-Men weren't too great. At all. But the concept... that is pure genius.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]