OtakuBoards

Which Came First?

chibi-master

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]An egg, or female gamete, is a package of a random half of a female species' genetic information.

The first organisms on the planet were asexual reproducers - single cells organisms that doubled their genetic information, shoved it into separate ends of itself and then split down the middle. This happened for a really long time before two organisms started getting together and mixing and matching their DNA, which was a huge boost for evolution. Still not [i]sexua[/i] reproduction, however, nor the type that requires sperm and eggs. That was probably around when 'animals' began to show up, could be around the 'cambrian explosion' 600 million years ago. Birds didn't show up for another 400 million years.

If you wanted to be picky about chicken eggs, and real chickens, then neither came first - it was a steady gradient, that took thousands of years, happening in multiple places all over the world at the same time.

Occam's Razor indeed, but consider this - if you think all of that is far too complicated to be the probable answer, how complex must God be to have created it all and more [Him]self? More than we could comprehend, I say - and therefore, not the simplest of our available answers at all.

Edit: Awesome lounge topic though. Good work. [/font][/color]