OtakuBoards

What Anime/Manga Would You Adapt Into A Live Action Film?

stararnold

[FONT=Arial]Imagine yourself as a film director/producer. If you could make a live-action movie based any Japanese comic book/animated work (no matter genre or story setting), what would it be?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Additionally, think of these questions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1) In what ways would the film be faithful to the original source material? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]2) What story changes to make as to distinct the live-action film from the Anime/manga it's based on?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]3) What actor/actress would look/fit the part for each character role? Give the actor's/actress' full name (example: Would Jim Carey be perfect for the role of Kittan Bachika in a live-action "Gurren Lagann" movie?)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]4) Would you hire any singers to provide insert songs? (ex: DMX providing rap songs for battle scenes in a live-action "Gundam" movie)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]5) What would the costumes and/or mechanical designs be/look like?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Optional: You can state whether the movie be more based on the Anime's/Manga in its original context or based on a modified version of it version (ex: whether to base a movie on "Mazinger Z" in the original Japanese context or on "Tranzor Z", Mazinger Z's Americanized version). [/FONT]

I've been trying to do the same with the Pokemon series for eons now. It would look faithful to the movie with location shots in Europe, Asia and the USA. I would hold auditions for Ash, Brock, Dawn, May and Misty for their future star potential, while Pikachu and everyone else would be a state of the art 3D computer-generated characters.

As for Team Rocket, Anne Hathaway as Jessie and Maculay Caulkin as james would be perfect for comedy relief, while I would have Mario Cantone voice Meowth. Any other ideas I'll ghet back to you on.

• 1 month later...
[SIZE=1]Fullmetal Alchemist.

Since it would be impossible to squish 50 episodes of plot line into a single movie, I'd say the live action would have to be *one* of their [Edward and Al's] adventure.

I have absolutely no clue who would play Edward (because I'm not very informed on young actors nowadays) but I know for sure that Johnny Depp should play Mustang xD. And perhaps Zachary Quinto should play Scar... all though he doesn't really have a tanned skin. Al's armor would be CG.

The movie would be shot in different places throughout Europe, and lot's'a money would be spent into special effects (for the transmutations and such). [/SIZE]

I have always been of the opinion that we should be very careful what we five the Hollywood treatment as far as aniime/manga goes, since being true to the source material, making it entertaining to non otaku and keeping the budget in the range of doable, while getting a producer that would be wiling to pick up a project and not butcher it : juggling all these variables could make for a very interesting challenge and maybe a flop of a movie. but with the success of transformers, its going to be the new thing Hollywood does, and there already off to the races with speed racer(crap) and the dragon ball Movie(megacrap) .
one thing to keep in mind is not just how popular a franchise is but how good of a story it would be on the big screen. film is a slightly different medium and different storytelling techniques hold sway.

but if I had top chose the series I most would want to see on the big screen.
definitely Full metal Alchemist
the only story worth telling would be the story of his becoming a state alchemist, I would do an abridged version that has the death of Nina and the arrest of her father as the conflict and the alchemy exam as a possible lead in to a sequel.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Applegoo'][SIZE=1]Fullmetal Alchemist. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Since it would be impossible to squish 50 episodes of plot line into a single movie, I'd say the live action would have to be *one* of their [Edward and Al's] adventure.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I have absolutely no clue who would play Edward (because I'm not very informed on young actors nowadays) but I know for sure that Johnny Depp should play Mustang xD. And perhaps Zachary Quinto should play Scar... all though he doesn't really have a tanned skin. Al's armor would be CG. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]The movie would be shot in different places throughout Europe, and lot's'a money would be spent into special effects (for the transmutations and such). [/SIZE][/quote]

Yes.Yes.Yes.Johnny Depp as Mustang!!! :animesmil