OtakuBoards

The Immortals

Orcus

[font="Georgia"][size=2][center][size="7"][color="#000000"]The Immortals[/color][/size][/size][/center][center][size="4"][color="#000000"][Tulas Shorn x Vongola][/color][/size][/center][size="2"][center][size="5"]*[/size][/center][/size] [size="2"][size="2"][color="#000000"]Marduk stared down at his hands as they wrung around each other with anticipation. Normally he was a calm, collected figure, never surprised and never excited in battle. But this was different. Too much was at stake for him to lose this battle. The Tournament of the Gods was the single most important event to him right now. The winner received a prize beyond measure; he would have his one truest desire granted to him, so long as it did not challenge or offend the gods. When Marduk had first heard of the Tournament he had been indifferent. He lacked dedication to or interest in the gods, for they were too fickle and caused men more evil then they did good. He had resolved to simply allow the worthiest man from his kingdom to take part in the competition so that he would seem benevolent, as well as to increase the prestige of his kingdom. After her death, however, he entered the competition himself, hellbent on bringing her back and not allowing his... [/color][color="#000000"][i]companion[/i][/color][color="#000000"] the pleasure of doing so. Subconsciously his eyes drifted over to the subject of his thoughts.[/color]

[color="#000000"]His companion was called Abilsin, and he was one of the kings of [/color][color="#000000"][i]Å umeru [/i][/color][color="#000000"]who had in recent years come to rule the land. Marduk himself was a king of Akkad, and he had hated the Sumerians for usurping power from his forefathers. Abilsin was the most bloodthirsty of the kings, and that was enough to put the two at odds. From their first clash the two considered each other rivals, and they had fought many wars against one another. They had caused each other great pain. And yet here they stood, allied, to an extent, by a common cause. But this was only a temporary truce; they were allies only until the other warriors were dead. They had no love for each other, only her-- and even if they were both fighting for her life, neither one was willing to sacrifice the chance to save her and claim her as his own.[/color]

[/size][/size][/font][font="Georgia"][size="2"][size="2"][color="#000000"]Mardkâ??s muscles tensed as a white flash filled the sky above the arena, a massive structure somewhere between a roofless ziggurat and a tower. Marduk grimaced and quickly looked over to Abilsin, who returned his gaze.
[/color][color="#000000"][b]
â??Donâ??t die,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin said simply before turning his back to Marduk. Marduk closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. [/color][color="#000000"][i]Iâ??m not going to die,[/i][/color][color="#000000"][b] [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he thought as he felt the warmth from the second flash wash over him.[/color][color="#000000"] He opened his eyes, sprung away from Abilsin and attacked the first soldier in his path. The soldier swung a mace at Marduk, who crouched down countered with a fist to the soldierâ??s chest. With the wind knocked out of him, the soldier dropped his mace, which Marduk deftly caught and swung up into the manâ??s jaw. As the man teetered backwards Marduk positioned the mace over his head and pitched the weapon forward into the face of another soldier. Before his bloodied opponent could react, Marduk disarmed the man and stabbed him in the chest with his own weapon.[/color]

[color="#000000"]Before Marduk could finish his opponent an arrow soared down from above and struck the soldier through his head. Marduk ducked down and used the body as a shield as another arrow whizzed by overhead. He peaked through the gap between the corpseâ??s arm and side so that he could pinpoint the archer. Another arrow shot by and quickly traced the arrowâ??s trajectory back to its origin., a soldier from [/color][color="#000000"][i]Kush[/i][/color][color="#000000"]. Years earlier Marduk had led an expedition to conquer parts of the kingdom of [/color][color="#000000"][i]Kemet[/i][/color][color="#000000"], but had found them engaged in fierce battle with [/color][color="#000000"][i]Kush. [/i][/color][color="#000000"]The Kush archers possessed skill beyond anything he had ever witnessed. [/color][color="#000000"][i]Alas, the archer will have to wait, [/i][/color][color="#000000"]Marduk thought as he rolled away to narrowly avoid a spear point. He snatched up a nearby sword and spun around, blocking his assailantâ??s spear mid-stab. He pushed the spear away and prepared to strike, when suddenly he felt a sharp pain through his right wrist.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Hmmm,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he grunted through clenched teeth as the arrow in his wrist forced him to drop his sword. The spear-bearer smiled condescendingly and drew his weapon back to strike Marduk in the heart. Marduk grimaced at the manâ??s arrogance and prepared to counter the strike, but it never came. The spear-bearer stood perfectly still for a moment, locked in his stance. Marduk gripped the spear with his left hand and pulled it out of the manâ??s grasp. The spear-bearerâ??s head rolled off of his neck and his body crumpled to the ground. Marduk used the spear to hoist himself up and ran in the direction of the archer. [/color][color="#000000"][i]I will have to repay Abilsin with a swift death, [/i][/color][color="#000000"]he thought as he scaled the nearest stairway.[/color]

[color="#000000"]The archer was roughly four levels up, and Marduk was forced to murder ten soldiers on his way up, two of which were rogue soldiers from his kingdom. Both had surrendered to to him and begged for their lives, but he killed them nonetheless. He felt no remorse or sympathy for disloyal followers, especially when they stood between him and his goals. It was for this reason that Marduk was unpopular with many of his subjects. He cared little for the complaints and concerns of the people--it was his responsibility to ensure the survival and wealth of his kingdom and itâ??s denizens regardless of public opinion. He had watched his father fail as a ruler due to his inability to make unpopular decisions, and he refused to share in that weakness. Marduk frowned at the thought and stopped in place.[/color]

[color="#000000"][i]Where is my focus today, [/i][/color][color="#000000"]he thought with disgust. From his arrival his mind had been reeling with nostalgia, force feeding him images from his past. Thoughts of his conquests, his homeland, his family. [/color][color="#000000"][i]Why?[/i][/color] [color="#000000"][b]
â??Marduk...â?[/b][/color]

[color="#000000"]Marduk readied his weapon and glanced around. Hadnâ??t someone just called his name? It had been faint, nothing more than a whisper, but Marduk was absolutely sure he had heard something...[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Marduk...â?[/b][/color]

[color="#000000"]A shimmering light accompanied this call, and Marduk stared on in surprise as the light began to take a humanoid shape. He flexed his fingers around the spear apprehensively, in case the shimmering light was an opponent or a trap. As the light finished its amazing transformation, however, Marduk nearly lost his grip on his weapon.
â??Shala?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]He questioned lowly. Indeed, the being before him had the appearance of the woman he had come to save, but something was amiss. Shala shouldnâ??t have appeared yet. Even if Marduk didnâ??t hear the sounds of battle off in the distance, he knew the battle wasnâ??t won yet. Abilsin wouldnâ??t have allowed himself to be killed by anyone other than Marduk. The shade itself seemed to different from the memory of his beloved. It hovered ever so slightly over the ground and seemed to flicker in and out of existence. But most alarming was the difference in its visage; its features were sorrowful, as if they had never known humor.Was this some form of trap? Marduk took a step towards the spectre, keeping his weapon up.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Shala?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]He repeated, this time more forcefully. The pain in â??Shalaâ??sâ?? eyes intensified at the sound of its name. Its body shuttered for a second before responding. Marduk had to strain his ears to hear her and only managed to catch one word.
â??----- -- alone.â? [/b][/color]

[color="#000000"]Suddenly Marduk understood. This apparition was not actually his wife. It was the manifestation of her negative feelings from the afterlife and had appeared to him to beg him to release her from her torment. He nodded at the illusion and managed a smile, something he hadnâ??t done in months.
â??I wonâ??t make you wait much longer Shala. Iâ??m coming for you,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said tenderly. â??Shalaâ?? quivered for another second, and then a single tear rolled down its face. Marduk reached out for it, but it exploded into an array of lights and disappeared. Marduk frowned at the sight and could feel a sense of dread creeping through his body. Why had she still looked so sad prior to disappearing? Marduk pushed the thought aside and took a deep breath before continuing his ascent up the staircase. He could ask Shala what was troubling her once he had rescued her.[/color]

[color="#000000"]Emerging from the staircase Marduk stayed low to the ground, hoping not to alert the archer. The archer was ready, however, and fired an arrow straight into his right shoulder. Marduk thanked his luck and charged the archer. Before the archer could string another arrow, Mardukâ??s arrow-pierced shoulder struck him squarely in the chest, catapulting him off of the level. Marduk smirked with approval as the archerâ??s legs broke from the impact of the fall. He directed his attention to the archerâ??s spare bow to his left, and silently cursed his inability to use his right hand. He prepared to run back for the staircase and rejoin the fight when he caught sight of Abilsin.[/color]

[color="#000000"]He was engaged in combat with a large, brutish axe wielder who obviously lacked the technical skill of Abilsin, but made up for it with unwieldy strength. Abilsin was simultaneously hacking away at the bruteâ??s body to seemingly no effect and dodging the bruteâ??s impossibly powerful swings. This activity left Abilsin oblivious to the Assyrian soldier slinking up behind him. The cornerâ??s of Mardukâ??s mouth tugged lightly as he suppressed a sneer.[/color]

[color="#000000"][i]Debt repaid, [/i][/color][color="#000000"]he thought as he launched his spear through the neck of the brute. Even with the great distance Marduk could still see the look of discontent on Abilsinâ??s face at the loss of his kill. The expression melted back into murderous intent as he effortlessly disemboweled the Assyrian behind him. As the warrior fell to the floor, both Abilsin and Marduk came to a realization. That had been the last opposing soldier. The only obstacles left were each other. The real fight was upon them.[/color]

[color="#000000"]The two rivals stood facing one another, scrutinizing their opponentâ??s appearance. Marduk watched Abilsinâ??s eyes travel from his pierced right shoulder to his bloody wrist on the same arm. Marduk noted the gash across Abilsinâ??s forehead, which had covered his face in blood, as well as the fact that Abilsin had almost all of his weight on his right leg, indicating that his left was slightly disabled. Abilsin grinned at Marduk.
â??A fair fight then,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said simply, and then swung at him with his sickle sword. Marduk brought his own up to counter, but the force behind Abilsinâ??s double handed swing overwhelmed Mardukâ??s and knocked his blade from his hand. Unfazed, Marduk sprang back, escaping with a thin slice down his chest, and then threw a punch at the still hunched over Abilsin. Due to his inability to shift his weight successfully, Abilsin took the blow right against the side of his head. He staggered slightly, but recomposed himself quickly enough to use the decreased distance between the two to impale Marduk in his stomach.

The metal in his abdomen forced Marduk to convulse and cough up blood. As Abilsin withdrew the blade, Marduk headbutted him in the face, breaking his nose. Abilsin took a step backwards to wipe away the blood on his face. Marduk rolled away and tore the shirt off of a nearby soldier and quickly tied it around his wound. Abilsin, whose vision was still inundated with red, estimated Mardukâ??s location from the sound of ripping cloth. He tossed aside his sword and kicked up a spear his foot had brushed against. He leveled the spear and threw it haphazardly at Marduk. Marduk managed to lean his shoulder back enough that the spear didnâ??t impale him, but simply grazed him. [/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??You dead?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin questioned loudly, still attempting to wipe the never-ending flow of blood from his face. Marduk inhaled sharply and jumped to his feet, although the pain in his stomach made him dizzy.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Of course,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he muttered before lunging at his opponent. Abilsin heard Mardukâ??s weight shift off of the ground and braced himself. The two collided; Abilsin brought his left knee up into Mardukâ??s ribs as the two plummeted to the ground, but the strain of his weight on his other leg, as well as Mardukâ??s body collapsing onto him caused his right leg to break completely. Abilsin screamed and shoved Marduk off, though Marduk could barely hear past his own pain. His ribs were definitely broken, and he could feel them piercing the insides of his body. He coughed up some more blood as he attempted to crawl away from Abilsin. Abilsin noticed Mardukâ??s attempts and bore his teeth.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Youâ??re not getting away from me...â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he growled, reaching for an axe nearby. His fingers wrapped around the blood-soaked hilt and he began to swing it over his body, when suddenly something cold slid in between his armpit and his ribs. He dropped the axe immediately and gasped for breath. Marduk pulled the blade out, victorious, and slowly rose to his feet. He and Abilsin locked eyes again as Abilsin continued to struggle to breath.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??D...do it then...â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin sputtered with a mouthful of blood. [/color][color="#000000"][b]â??Kill me. You wonâ??t get another chance.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Marduk, however, made no movement. He simply stared at his opponent with cold eyes. Abilsin, surprised and upset, roared at him.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??How dare you! Youâ??ve taken everything, and yet you refuse to take my life? Where is your honor?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he spat at Marduk. Marduk still remained unresponsive, but now turned his attention to the sky. Abilsin looked on in disbelief, his body seething with anger. Shaking, he muttered one last thing to Marduk.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??You should have killed me. We were so much happier before you.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Mardukâ??s eyes widened with rage. He gripped his blade with both hands and raised it above his opponentâ??s chest, preparing to make the final strike. His hands plateaued above his head, and in one quick instance he fell to his knees. Streams of blood began trickling from his mouth, and his body hung over limp. Abilsinâ??s ire gave way to shock at the sight of his enemy. Marduk chuckled at the taste of blood in his mouth and raised his face back up to the heavens.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??We are both dead. You have two winners and two losers. Grant us our wish,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he called. For a moment nothing happened. Marduk shook his head and called again.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Well? Are the gods not men of their word? We are winners. Now grant us our wish--â? [/b][/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Silence!â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]The sky flashed with a brilliant, overwhelming light. A powerful gust blew over the arena and circled in on itself, gaining momentum and whipping Abilsin and Marduk. Lightning flashed in the sky and struck fiercely against the ground, and noisy thunder boomed down the arena, shaking its foundations. Abilsin scoffed at the display.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Exciting,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he murmured. Marduk ignored him, still staring at the sky. The sky flashed again as a single monstrous lightning bolt streaked down from the sky and struck the ground, splitting it open. The crack erupted with hissing steam, and from the steam a figure emerged. Although Marduk cared little for tales about the gods and their allies, he knew who this man was.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Utnapishtim,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he uttered. He was an elderly man in appearance, although his actual age was far greater due to the gift of immortality granted to him by the gods. He was a tall man, standing a head over Marduk, and his fierce brown eyes reflected years of experience. His skin was dark but seemed to glow and shimmer. He wore a intricately detailed and ornate robe and carried a large staff that appeared to double as a unique spear-- the top of the staff split into two curled goat horns, representative of the god Ea, who had saved him from the flood. Marduk knew of both Utnapishtim and Ea well -- Utnapishtim was rumored to have been an Akkadian, and the god Ea was the father of a god who shared a name with Marduk. Naturally, he had heard a great deal about them.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Marduk,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin interrupted emphatically. Marduk followed his rivalâ??s gaze and noticed that Utnapishtim was leading someone along by a rope. Marduk knew who it was instantly.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Shala!â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he yelled. She didnâ??t look up, however. She continued to follow her captor and stared forlornly at the ground. Mardukâ??s face contorted in anger and he rose up to advance on Utnapishtim.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Let her---â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Suddenly Marduk fell back to his knees and clutched his stomach. Utnapishtim stared on with his hard eyes and Marduk vomited blood all over the ground, which seemed to happily take it in. The gods were mocking him.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Enough,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Utnapishtimâ??s deep voice declared, and the vomiting ceased. Marduk clutched the ground tightly, his vision fading in and out. Despite the pain, he looked back up to Utnapishtim.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??The gods... owe...owe...owe us. Re...return her,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he growled before falling to his side. Utnapishtim looked back to Shala.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Go, if you wish.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Shala stared at Utnapishtim with a scared expression before looking at her two past husbands who had come for her. And much to their surprise, she refused to step forward. Mardukâ??s mouth opened and closed, but he could produce no sound. Abilsin hoisted himself onto one arm and reached for Shala.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Shala, come on. Youâ??re free of them. Come back,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said, trying his best to swallow his fear and sound comforting. When Shala still refused to step forward, Abilsin snapped.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Damn the gods, Shala come here! The gods have no hold on you. Come to me now. It is your duty as my wife!â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he exploded. Tears streamed down Shalaâ??s eyes, but still she did not step forward. Having recovered slightly, Marduk attempted to speak to her next.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Do not listen to him. You. Are. My. Wife. Come to me and we will have a new life far from the gods. Everything can go back to how it was. Everything,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said with a crimson smile. Shalaâ??s tears increased. Utnapishtim turned his back on Abilsin and Marduk and stroked Shalaâ??s face.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??You boys are blind,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Utnapishtim stated bluntly. [/color][color="#000000"][b]â??She does not wish to return. That is why she killed herself in the first place.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Marduk and Abilsin both froze. Marduk was the first to speak now, slowly and deliberately.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??She... did not kill herself. We killed her,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said, although confusion had crept into his voice. Abilsin continued.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??The intensity of our battle caused us to lose sight of her. She was pierced by our blades. What manner of trickery are you attempting?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin asked incredulously. Utnapishtim stroked Shalaâ??s face again and then raised her chin up so they were looking each other in the eyes. He smiled at her and nodded his head, a gesture which she returned.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??I threw myself in front of your blades,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]she admitted. [/color][color="#000000"][b]â??I could not chose between my love of each other of you, and did not want to see you die... So I killed myself, with the hope that you would both live.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Marduk took a moment to swallow the information and then responded.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??So?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Marduk questioned. [/color][color="#000000"][b]â??What is past is past. You were afraid harm would come to us and it already has. We are both on the brink of death, but surely one of us will live. Whoever you choose will continue on in life with you, and the other will fade away. But you most choose.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin nodded in agreement.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??I have not come all this way to leave without you Shala. Choose,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he added. Shala simply continued to hang her head as her crying increased. Marduk and Abilsin stared at her in anticipation, holding on to life with all of their willpower. Utnapishtim shook his head in disappointment and grasped Shalaâ??s shoulders.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Hurry back, child.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Shala nodded and ran back towards the opening without so much as a look at Marduk and Abilsin. They both called for her, but Utnapishtim slammed his staff down.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??No more!â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he commanded, silencing both warriors.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??You two are disgusting creatures,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he continued.[/color][color="#000000"][b] â??Throughout the entirety of your lives you have heartlessly murdered, enslaved and tortured other humans to further your endeavors. Even the woman you both claim to love is little more than another means for your self-fulfilment. And you have walked along this path without remorse, too blind to see the error of your ways. Too blind to accept the help and forgiveness of the gods, who have countless times attempted to offer you their aid. For your transgressions, you are to be punished.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Abilsin scoffed and spat into the dirt.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??So this... this is the great wisdom of the gods? They who betray promises and bring pain to all of the people of this land? Even at our worst, we have never committed atrocities like the gods. Every manâ??s truest, foulest ire is reserved for those monsters.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said meekly. He was fighting desperately to keep his soul tethered to his body, but he could feel it prying lose little by little. Marduk looked over at his dying enemy, and surprisingly, felt sadness.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Monsters indeed,â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]he said, feeling his own spirit being severed. [/color][color="#000000"][b]â??They hide in their sanctuaries... stalking unsuspecting humans to feed on their misery. We were proud, noble men. We will be written of as heroes. Truly... we are... greater than the gods.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Utnapishtim silently walked over to the unconscious, dying warriors and watched as they struggled against death. He knew they could not conquer it. Yet still they struggled and continued to espouse their disrespect for the gods, despite being on the verge of entering the godsâ?? kingdom. He knelt down and rested his hands on Marduk and Abilsinâ??s forehead.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??If you believe yourselves so much mightier than the gods, than you have chosen your own punishment. Continue on from here new men, shaped in the image of the gods, with all of their powers and their immortality. Bear the burden of power, of responsibility, of true cosmic greatness. And to further bring humility to you...â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Utnapishtim looked back to the crevasse, which began to shake and hiss violently. Shala once more emerged from the pit, scared and bewildered.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??Why am I back?â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]She shreiked. Utnapishtimâ??s eyes softened with pity for a moment, before he returned to his solemn demeanor.[/color]

[color="#000000"][b]â??For having been a party of the tragedy of these two lives, for shaming your family and insulting the gods by sacrificing your invaluable life... You will take part in their punishment. You will be a constant source of sorrow for these two men, being reborn and forced into their lives time and time again for the rest of eternity.â? [/b][/color][color="#000000"]Shalaâ??s eyes filled with tears again, and she crumpled to the floor sobbing. Utnapishtim looked back to Marduk and Abilsin and leaned over them. He inhaled deeply, and then exhaled the curse into their lungs. He then stood up, turned away, and retreated back into the pit, which sealed itself behind him. For a few minutes the battlefield was still, calm. And then there was life. Marduk and Abilsin gasped for breath, and with each lungful of air, their wounds healed. Shala watched in horror. [/color]

[/size][/size][/font][font="Georgia"][size="2"][size="2"][color="#000000"]Mardukâ??s eyes opened first. Everything felt new to him. The air tasted crisply of blood, of magic, of sorrow. The ground felt solid, strengthened by the spilled hopes of soldiers. And the sky... The sky was filled with more wonders than Marduk had ever imagined. His range was limitless. The world was his. With this power he had everything he could ever-- [/color][/size][/size][/font]

[font="Georgia"][size="2"][color="#000000"][b]â??Aaaaaaaaaaah!!â?[/b] [/color][color="#000000"]And like that all of his feelings of awe and mystery and wonder were gone. He was in a world of shadows, with sorrow and misery coating every inch of him. The scream that had shattered his world months ago had plunged him back into a nightmare world. And all Marduk could do, even as a god, was watch as Shalaâ??s lifeless body slunk to the ground and soaked in a pool of her blood. Her spirit was back in the hands of the gods. As the presence of the gods around him wained, and the structure dedicated to his immortal tormentors began to crumble, Marduk began to understand. This was eternity.[/color][/size][/font] Edited by Vongola