OtakuBoards

Marvel NOW!

stararnold

In October 2012, Marvel Comics began the Marvel NOW! event (to run until February 2013), where new writers and artists are launching new ongoing series (including some to re-use titles of earlier comic book series) as well as releasing new issues of still-running titles (namely [i]Avengers Assemble[/i], [i]Journey Into Mystery[/i] Vol. 1, and [i]Red She-Hulk[/i]) to focus on what's next for the Marvel Unvierse super-heroes in canon continuity since the Avengers Vs. X-Men event, including new sercret identities for classic heroes (ex: [i]The Superior Spider-Man[/i], to launch in January, will feature a new person to maintain the Spider-Man name), costume changes for those still maintaining thier repsective super-hero names (ex: Steve Rogers getting a new costume while still maintaining the Captain America identity), new major conflicts and adventures, etc. So far, the event itself involved the launch of the new ongoing series [i]Uncanny Avengers[/i] on October 10 and the release of the Marvel NOW! comic book one-shot [i]Marvel NOW! Point One [/i]on October.

So what are your thoughts about so far? What of the Marvel NOW! content you look forward to checking out later on? Sound off your comments. As for me, I may pick up the first issue of [i]A+X [/i]No. 1 when it comes out as it will feature a team-up between Wolverine and Hulk, but I am definitely looking forward for the premiering of the dark-and-edgy [i]The Superior Spider-Man[/i] as I am curious to seeing the new guy behind the Spider-Man mask and what he's all about.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought that Uncanny Avengers was a little underwhelming with its debut. The characterization of Rogue was way off, and I'm not thrilled with the line-up's lack of diversity. It's a beautiful book, and Rick Remember does a competent job with the script, but this book is not new reader friendly AT ALL. Also: It's terribly grim for my tastes.

I'm most interested in A+X because team-up books always have interesting creators and they are able to be more experimental in terms of storytelling. The new Captain America seems pretty cool as well. I'm not a huge Romita Jr. fan, but his style seems to suit the sci-fi adventure elements that they have been teasing. Iron Man and Thor will probably be fine. I don't read those books anyway so I'm not very concerned either way.

- Shy