OtakuBoards

FreeNavi - A MMBN Continuation

Alexander

[i]I must admit that my first reaction to the Anullus.EXE's completion was a feeling of complete helplessness. I had thought that Wily's secret weapon had been destroyed in his lab's final destruction. But to see Saffron using the destructive properties of the program as a tool to achieve his goals sent a very real chill though me, one that I hope I never relive as long as I live.
- Dr. Hikari, [/i]The FreeNavi : Prologue

Freenavi is a story taking place after the successful completion of Megaman Battle Network.

The Network-reliant community is in an uproar. A Navi, completely independent from any human controller, has begun to tear through the societies's key programs. It wields a program called the Annulus, whose powers could mean the complete collapse off modern society if used. Desperate to protect his people, a group of self-reliant Navis and other assorted programs called the FreeNavi, Saffron will not stop until his people is safe.

Can Megaman stop the rampaging FreeNavi and his apocalyptic sword? Or will the desperate Saffron's will result in a new dark age of science and the deaths of hundreds of people?

Here are several excerpts from the story...not all accurate.

Protoman ran through the net, heading to the source of the power disturbance. Lord Chaud had charged him with the task of finding and eliminating the cause, and he would do so, to the full extent of his ability.
Finnally arriving at the ACDC town power plant, he switched his right hand with his customary sword. It gave off a pale glow as he entered the power plant's darkened networks.
"Alright, whoever hit here shut off the primary power grid and either hasn't gotten to the secondary grid, or they have another target." He thought aloud as he looked around. The networks seemed dark and forboding, his sword's light glow magnified in the gloom. No matter. He had downloaded the plans for the plant earlier; he needed no light to find his way.
He started forward, unnerringly heading towards the secondary power grid, and was rewarded as he entered the grid's control sector and found a single Navi program standing there.
It appeared as a tall, calm man with long, flowing hair. A large gem adorned his chest, while four magnificent wings sprouted from his back, folded back in a resting position. Held pointed at the ground was a long, thick sword, it's entire surface aflame as the man looked at the power plant controls. Whether he was looking for how to destroy it or overload it, it didn't matter. Protoman wouldn't let him finish his task.
"Hold!" Protoman called as he charged forward. "Tell your controller to show himself or I will delete you!"
The Navi turned around, hardly appearing suprised by the red fighter. The flaming blade came up, parrying Protoman's strike as he focused on the new arrival.
"Protoman, the Offical NetBattler Navi. Enslaved by one Eugene Chaud." the Navi stated in a calm voice. Protoman bristled at Navi's mocking tone. He was no one's slave!
"Tell your master that Saffron of the FreeNavi sends his regards."
With that, a wall of flame erupted from around the Navi, throwing Protoman back, his armor heavily scorched from the heat. He watched as the area around him began to destabilize. Even as the networks failed around them, the Navi raised it's massive sword high. "For freedom!" it called.
The last thing Protoman saw - before he recalling himself to the safety of Chaud's PET - was the Navi's flaming sword as it cut down on the power plant safeties, and the crashing boom that followed.

Chaud was walking through the streets of late night ACDC town, feeling rather nonplussed. His explorations in Dentown had proved fruitless. Whoever was causing these on-line disturbances was good. He hadn't found anything resembling a trail, which left him frustrated. He pulled out his PET, and was about to turn it on, when a crashing boom broke through the night.
Chaud froze in place, and as he did so, the the streetlights around him went dark.
He looked up at the lights, an unpleasant feeling growing in his gut. He tore his gaze away from the lamp-post and looked around him, his fears confirmed. There was no sound of cars running, no lights on anywhere.

The town had completely lost all power.

The triple beep from his Pet broke him out of his angry rut. Fliping his pet on, the image of Protoman-looking slightly worse for wear-appeared on screen.
"What happened?" Chaud asked his Navi.
"I tracked the disturbance to ACDC's power plant and encountered a unidentified Navi in it's secondary systems. It recognized me as your Navi and told me to say that 'Saffron of the FreeNavi gives his regards'." he quoted. "It had already taken out the primaries, and I was forced to leave then as the network's power failed."
This wasn't good, Chaud thought. With the power plant's entire mainframe deleted, it could take upwards of a week before power was restored.
"Send a message to Dr. Hikari at the SciLabs. Inform him of everything that happened and give him all data on the Navi. Then go through the database and try to find a match. I don't care if you have to go through the list of Registered Navis one by one." Chaud ordered. "I'm going to go inspect the power plant *personally*. Go, do it."
"As ordered, Lord Chaud!" the red Navi said in confirmation as he vanished from the screen.
Chaud put his PET back in his pack and started forward, his determination renewed. He was going to find that Navi and it's controller if it was the last thing he did.

Dr. Hikari looked rather pale faced when Lan entered the room, immediately putting Lan into a nervous state. "Is something wrong, dad?"
Dr. Hikari nodded. "Protoman encountered the Navi responsible for the ACDC power plant failure. I've been looking over the data ever sence."
He pointed to an image on his screen, showing the Navi and it's massive, flaming blade. "This screen capture was taken by Protoman. I don't recognize the Navi, and the Datalinks have no information on him at all."
Lan nodded. "But that's not why you're worried, dad. You've encountered unidentified programs before, haven't you?"
"Lan...it's the sword that worries me. That isn't just a FireSword Chip. That's the Annulus."
Seeing the blank expression on his son's face, Dr. Hikari sat down and began to explain.
"Tha Annulus isn't a chip, Lan. It's a whole program. A special program enhancement designed to cause total network breakdown to anything it is used agianst..."