OtakuBoards

Red Dead Revolver

The Vampire: Ed

From the looks and sounds of this game, it seems like it's going to be an awesome title. Any opinions on this game, the first real western game we've had in a long time?

[quote][i]News from IGN[/i]
May 20, 2002 - Capcom Entertainment today revealed the first real, ready-to-go western shooter for the PlayStation 2 today at its Producer event, and the game, which has been hidden from the public for years, and which we got a sneak peak at in January, looks like smokin'. Gunslinger, you could have been a contenda...

Capcom's new quirky game is a third-person perspective western shoot-'em-up that stars a thin, gaunt cowboy by the name of Red who shows up into town and blasts the crap of just about anything that moves. Using the old western movie High Noon and many Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns as inspirations, this unusual western shooter is not developed by Capcom, but rather by Angel Studios, makers of Midtown Madness, Midnight Club, Smuggler's Run 1 & 2, and TransWorld Surf. Capcom is working in tandem with Angel Studios in development on the game.

Red Dead Revolver is a stylish game that shows off a phenomenal amount of excellent shading, great texture work, and some of the best shadows and lighting in any game on PlayStation 2. The dusty western atmosphere creates an excellent feeling of heat and desperation, and makes players feel raw and even a little thirsty. The game is stylized to show off dusty roads, crooked old shacks, red sunsets and the blaring midday sun. The game also boasts very impressive rain and snow effects.

Once settled into your new character, players can select two kinds of shooting modes, auto targeting for beginners, or manual mode, which enables players to select various parts of their enemies' bodies to shoot. You can blast enemies' hands, feet, knock off their hats, and various other parts, which makes the opponents mad, of course, and initiates their unusual set of AI behaviors. The AI displays various kinds of emotions, and wild behaviors depending on their own personalities and relationships with other characters in the environments.

As Red, a small arsenal of weapons is available to use including pistols, shotguns, whips, dynamite, handguns, shotguns, and rifles. Players can grab a load of various pickups and powerups, and they can engage in special kinds of combat with them. Red Dead Revolver also supports multiplayer modes, including deathmatch style battles. Gamers can also engage in stealthy actions, and fight in hand-to-hand combat.

Red is cable of walking, running, riding a horse, and while riding on the horse, engaging in gun combat. He also dives for cover, and shoots from a lying position, can roll, and duck, and can hide and peek from behind corners.

Red Dead Revolver looks great and it's about time somebody made a cool western shooter. The game showed off hilarious enemies that walk around with bowl legs, as if they have been riding horses all their lives (and well, we guess they have), various sized enemies, and a slew of interesting reactions in their behavior.

Gamers can ride around on horses and blast away at things, while on foot, Red looks like he's able to shoot at all sorts of things. In one very cool video we saw, he shot somebody's hand, and a whisky powerup appeared. Red Dead Revolver looks to have personality and charm to spare, and we're very much looking forward to this game's release this fall.[/quote]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/deadrevolver_052002_01.jpg[/img]
[b]Stick'em up[/b]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/deadrevolver_052002_06.jpg[/img]
[b]Showdown at night[/b]

[img]http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/deadrevolver_052002_03.jpg[/img]
[b]Sweet rain effects[/b]

[URL=http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?channel_id=70&object_id=481002&adtag=network%3Dign%26site%3Dps2viewer%26pagetype%3Darticle&page_title=E3+2002%3A+Red+Dead+Revolver+Impressions]Media Page for Red Dead Revolver[/URL]

[SIZE=1]Well this title ceertainly looks interesting. I hope the graphics run as smooth as they look. To tell you the truth these are some of the best graphics I have seen on the ps2 scince Final Fantasy X. All, I can say is if it can live up to it's hype, than I am definatley interested.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]-Daniel[/SIZE]

I've seen this game in action and it is phenomenal.

In all certainty, we're probably seeing what could become Capcom's next big franchise. The competition is tough with Medal of Honor Frontline already being released, so I hope to see a strong plot and a strong control interface. Aiming and camera issues are generally the biggest concerns when developing a game like this. Especially when enemies are able to hide behind buildings and other obstacles.

Most importantly, I hope that the game delivers in the length department. Although nice attention seems to have been dedicated to the combat structure of Red Dead Revolver, I am not interested in buying an hour's worth of gun slinging.

As I mentioned, Capcom could have something big here; presently, Wild West simulators are nonexistent on consoles as far as I know. Although solid shooters like the aforementioned MOH: Frontline and Red Faction are available, the theme of this game alone, could set is apart from the pack. If RDR is a success, we'll probably be swimming in carbon copies.

Guest ProudClod
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]I've seen this game in action and it is phenomenal.
In all certainty, we're probably seeing what could become Capcom's next big franchise. The competition is tough with Medal of Honor Frontline already being released, so I hope to see a strong plot and a strong control interface. Aiming and camera issues are generally the biggest concerns when developing a game like this. Especially when enemies are able to hide behind buildings and other obstacles.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Camera angles are a big issue in games, and bad ones can certainly put a player off the game. Im concerned about the whole being able to pop out of a wall thing. The quality of MGS2s camera angles were good, but when it came to a shoot-out, youd find the camera angle quite disturbing. I hope this is something that is thought about in production of this game, they should learn from other games mistakes....

Any news on the dialogue (I cant stand those typical western accents!:toothy: ), or will it be all in text form?