OtakuBoards

The Wonderful World of Chat RP

Doukeshi

Okay, I think it's right to post this here. If any of the mods want to relocate it it's fine with me.

Anyway, everyone knows that you can RP on this board, right in the Adventure Arena or respective Battle Arena. Simple enough. This is what I like to call Board RP. Now I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with Chat RP. What's people's thoughts on the differences, preferences and pro's and con's of each.

I personally started the whole RP gig in chat rooms on Yahoo!, and I find the experience quite different from that of RPing in boards. For one thing, you have to wait long periods of time for a reply sometimes, whereas in chat the reply is instantaneous. That's just one of many.

Any input?

While we're mentioning Chat Vs Boards, let's add Messengers to the mix, shall we?

I started RPing almost 7 years ago in chats via AoL. About 4 years ago I started being an exclusive Messenger RPer. Only within the past year have I expanded to Boards.

Chats are nice if you're looking to do battle RP with dice, or looking for a whole mish-mosh of people. I do no battle, and personally find too many people in one chat a little hard to follow. Usually in a chat of 6 I'm talking to 1 person. The constant interuption of my posts (and often the extensive OOC posts) gets on my nerves.

Boards are better than chats. You don't have the restriction of space, the annoyance of other players disecting your post. However, waiting for people to post on a Board Thread gets...boring. And often people loose the flow of their actions in the days it takes everyone to respond, so the plot falls apart. And again, usually I am focusing on one character at time, which is hard to do with a Board Thread because everyone wants to be a part of teh actions.

Messenger RP is...the epitomy of RPing. Few post length restrictions, no interuptions, instantanious action. I can focus playing a SL with several people at one time without having to worry about posts getting mixed up or wires crossed. And if one person I'm RPing with is an IM full while another is 3 or so worth of detail, there's no problem in keeping their "quotas" (for lack of a better word) taken care of.

So...there's my input. ^_^

I find role-playing on boards much easier. One reason is because when you post you can actually Edit what you did, or you can add something to that. But in chat room rping, if your like me and you look down at the keyboard but type really fast typos acure, and people might not know what you did.

So I like to RP on boards better. Sometimes I go to the red Dragon Inn official site and I spar, and I like sparring there better but Role Playing like adventures I just enjoy it on the boards better.

[color=#707875]I have never roleplayed in a chat, although I've heard plenty about it.

Actually, I was never a big roleplayer on the boards even. It's only been within the last year/year and a half that I've really become interested in it. And I became interested primarily because I started to read some of the great stories that people were generating.

Generally, I prefer forums to chat in any event. I only like chat if it's an IM thing where I'm just talking to one person. And I generally only like chatrooms if there are a few people in there...they're not something I'd visit all the time, if there are too many people. It just gets too confusing.

Having not played chat-based RPGs, I can only comment on boards-based ones. I must say though, I'd probably prefer the boards-based stuff to the chat-based stuff anyway. I like the fact that with the boards, I can add images...I can stop and think about what I want to write...I can edit what I've written to make it more understandable, and so on.

I can also go through and easily read what others have posted. And when everything's done, it creates a flowing page of writing, which forms one cohesive story. That makes it easier to read and easier to interact with.

I'm also really pleased that OtakuBoards has a strong RP community. Adventure Arena is our second largest forum -- and it's no wonder why. I enjoy reading what people write and I like the whole idea of a story being generated "as you go" and with multiple views. That way, you never really know where it will end up...and everyone has their own spin on the situation. It's also a great way of exercising your mind and improving your writing.

So, I think there are many benefits to RPGs in general. I personally think I'd prefer forums-based RPGs because I prefer forums to chats. But I know that some people prefer the more instantaneous nature of chats.[/color]

I also heard about RP chats and so i tried to rp with the people in the chatroom.
I started rping two years ago. It was kinda hard for me in first but then i got used to it because i kept watching the people rping and getting tips from them. o.o
Then i stopped rping this year. No idea why, but i did. I rp sometimes, but not that much like last time.

[color=hotpink][size=1]I used to do Chat RP, about 6 years ago actually. Well, I started six years ago. And yes, I went through Yahoo. But it was really REALLY fun because we had our own little group of friends, a "family" as we referred to ourselves as. And we were all married/dating/related or some other type of connection. We would create our own rooms just for RPing. We mostly met up in Pokemon:1 and then just ignored every person in the room that wasn't part of our group so it just SEEMED as though it was just us. Those were some of the best times of my life and I made SO MANY wonderful friends that I've basically lost touch with. There are a few that I still talk to, but those were definitley the good ol' days in my book.[/color][/size]

[color=silver][size=1]I have RPed in just about every possible manner. Chat Room RPs, Message Board RPs, Instant Message RPs, E-mail RPs, and a few times in 7th grade I actually role-played Android 18 when my friends would play Dragonball Z. [ I was the only blonde -_-; ] I love[d] Role Playing. Kevin and I used to Role Play through E-mails, and I'll never forget those. They were great. Though I have to say, the best RPGs I've ever been in, were on Otaku. And the three top, all had Raiha in them. :P X-Men. X-Men 2. And Dragonhearts. Those were the best RPGs of my life.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]I used to do Chat RP, about 6 years ago actually. Well, I started six years ago. And yes, I went through Yahoo. But it was really REALLY fun because we had our own little group of friends, a "family" as we referred to ourselves as. And we were all married/dating/related or some other type of connection. We would create our own rooms just for RPing. We mostly met up in Pokemon:1 and then just ignored every person in the room that wasn't part of our group so it just SEEMED as though it was just us. Those were some of the best times of my life and I made SO MANY wonderful friends that I've basically lost touch with. There are a few that I still talk to, but those were definitley the good ol' days in my book.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I have to admit that those were golden times when I used to spend most of my time in that little community known as Ayenee. I still try to now, but not as much as I used to. I met so many wonderful people and as you said, I rarely stayed in touch with them. Shame really.

Just out of curiousity...anyone who rped in yahoo chat rooms remember corvus_the_black_raven?

• 2 years later...
[COLOR=teal][FONT=Trebuchet MS]If you're looking for help, erozay707, You're going to need to address what exactly it is you need help with. Also, please do NOT bring back threads that have long expired such as this one. If you need help, I'd suggest using the Suggestions & Feedback forum to create a thread, and give people an idea of what it is you need help with. If you have any questions feel free to PM myself or another staff member.

[B]Thread Closed.[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]