OtakuBoards

Prophecies

Fall

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]On a sidenote.....from what I think will sound completely out of it, I have never heard of a so-called "Nostrodamus".

.....who is he? [/B][/QUOTE]

you have never heard of him? Theres a movie on him. I used this site for my paper a long time ago so it might help you out.

[URL=http://www.howstuffworks.com/nostradamus.htm]Nostradamus[/URL]

Guest cloricus
James - Chaos Theory. Even Earth Simulator (ES - Nec) the most powerful (known) super-computer on the planet has trouble predicting a year in to the future on wether let alone seventy. Sorry James, lucky guess maybe but even logic and reason won't get you that far.
Justin - What is God? How do you know, what happens if God is wrong?
S@bretooth - ?Holy Bible, which is 100% accurate in its predictions of Jesus? ? Hehe, have you read the bible? Tried linking it all, if you did you would have a very rude shock.
(Reading the Bible was one of the main things that drove me out of Christianity, I could not see how we could believe in a book that had been so corrupted over and over for more than 2000 years that may have not even been true in the first place. And getting, you must have faith for ever question.)
Valen ? Just a little side fact for you, 2000 years ago Christ was not born. If he existed at all he would have been (or older) than 6, so technically the end of the world was 8 years ago? (And yes that is backed up by fact.)

Yes I heard about this guy about two years ago, he predicted a few things that have mostly happened.
Then again look at Jules Vern and a few others, some would call them seers but every one would have to agree on the fact that they were at least visionaries.

It's very hard to prove either side of this argument so any one getting in to an argument over it would be wasting time.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus [/i]
[B]Justin - What is God? How do you know, what happens if God is wrong?[/B][/QUOTE]

1- God is.. "God". I could go on for ages about it, but that'd be pointless..

2- We know because he has revealed himself to us.. and I don't mean by coming down 2000 years ago, every Christian has their own personal revelation. Unfortunately, if you never recieved that revelation, then you were never saved or "baptised by the holy spirit". It doesn't matter if you were baptised as a child, or read the bible, if the actual faith wasn't there then there will be no sense of God being there, either.

3- consider this: God is all knowing; God is all powerful; God is everywhere. We are not. Most of the time it's us who get it wrong, by mis-hearing things, or by thinking that a thought came from God when it didn't. [i]That[/i] is when bad things happen.
I don't seriously believe [i]at all[/i] that God condoned the "Holy" Wars so long ago, but people are seriously imperfect, especially when they think they're not.

[B]S@bretooth - ?Holy Bible, which is 100% accurate in its predictions of Jesus? ? Hehe, have you read the bible? Tried linking it all, if you did you would have a very rude shock.
(Reading the Bible was one of the main things that drove me out of Christianity, I could not see how we could believe in a book that had been so corrupted over and over for more than 2000 years that may have not even been true in the first place. And getting, you must have faith for ever question.)[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes I have read the Bible, and linking it all.. and I don't really see a problem with it. Some bits don't make sense.. for example, Matthew's gospel says that Judas killed himself, whereas the book of acts says that his "internal organs spilled out in a field". The gospels were written many years after Jesus' death, and there are bound to be some inconsistencies between them, when you nit-pick, but the basic doctrine is always the same. The Bible was not written by God, but inspired by him, so don't expect absolute perfection in the details. However, the prophecies of Jesus were correct.

[B]Valen ? Just a little side fact for you, 2000 years ago Christ was not born. If he existed at all he would have been (or older) than 6, so technically the end of the world was 8 years ago? (And yes that is backed up by fact.)[/B][/QUOTE]

I think S@bertooth explained that pretty well.. "Valen, the whole thing about the year 2000 being the apocalypse was mis read doctrine"

I'm intrigued.. which denomination were you from?.. and how lively was your church, exactly? (lively meaning "actually practising rather than just preaching", and not a chore to go to)

Okay....moving away for the bible side of this.

It's raining! :excited: Well it hasn't rained enough to break the drought yet but it's still raining! And it might last for another day so they forcast......[size=1]which I doubt[/size]. But anyways.

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]Two inches yesterday, another inch today. Wouldn't be surprised if we got a bit more tomorrow. Looks like you just have to be patient. I could go on all night about the dangers of prophecies - but we don't live in Westland, Midlands or D'Hara, so I won't. Pity it's all going out to the sea...[/color][/font]

Guest cloricus
[Quote]
3- consider this: God is all knowing; God is all powerful; God is everywhere. We are not. Most of the time it's us who get it wrong, by mis-hearing things, or by thinking that a thought came from God when it didn't. [i]That[/i] is when bad things happen.
I don't seriously believe [i]at all[/i] that God condoned the "Holy" Wars so long ago, but people are seriously imperfect, especially when they think they're not.
[/quote]

Okay fare enough, answer this though.
Mis-hearing and mis-thinking how do you know this was not responsible for the bible?
You may not answer with "It says it is" or any thing of the sort because that could be applied to any visions and/or hearing things.

At the moment I am not disputing "God" I am disputing the Bible as truthful record of events that may or may not have happened.

[Quote]
Yes I have read the Bible, and linking it all.. and I don't really see a problem with it. Some bits don't make sense.. for example, Matthew's gospel says that Judas killed himself, whereas the book of acts says that his "internal organs spilled out in a field". The gospels were written many years after Jesus' death, and there are bound to be some inconsistencies between them, when you nit-pick, but the basic doctrine is always the same. The Bible was not written by God, but inspired by him, so don't expect absolute perfection in the details. However, the prophecies of Jesus were correct.[/Quote]

I think you need to reread it a bit more because even my RE teacher said there were more discrepancies than that. (And he's been a priest most of his life.)

---

This is not to go off topic this is just to get Dexus to think a bit instead of being a sheep. (No offence on the sheep thing I just like calling people sheep.)
I will not be replying to any answers to this.

Oh and yes rain for tomorrow or the wearther people say any way.

Sorry, but I wouldn't buy that guy's story for a second. What is he the Weather Man or something? I just really think all of his predictions were just lucky guesses. Anyone could've gotten up and said the same things he did. It's just a simple coincidence.....
Oh yeah, and I hope yall's situation around Australia/New Zealand gets better! My mom's country, Brazil, just experienced a pretty big drought a while back and they pulled through. I know everything will turn out alright.

[B]Okay fare enough, answer this though.
Mis-hearing and mis-thinking how do you know this was not responsible for the bible?
You may not answer with "It says it is" or any thing of the sort because that could be applied to any visions and/or hearing things.

At the moment I am not disputing "God" I am disputing the Bible as truthful record of events that may or may not have happened.[/B][/QUOTE]

OK.. that's fair enough. The only real thing I can say is that I believe it to be accurate because of what I've experinced, the prophecies I've actually seen come true, and a whole range of other things that lead me to the conclusion that it is true. However, it's a very personal thing.

I don't like to say "the Bible is true because it says it is", and I never really say that, nor give references to the Bible without explaining them. I only tend to quote the Bible if my reasoning actually backs the quote up, not just if the quote backs the reasoning up. Hence I never say "The Bible is true because it says it is", because the reasoning is solely dependant on the accuracy of the quote, and you're not likely to use that as an argument with people who actually believe the Bible is true. (though I know a lot of the more "traditional" Christians don't share this opinion)

[B]I think you need to reread it a bit more because even my RE teacher said there were more discrepancies than that. (And he's been a priest most of his life.)[/B][/QUOTE]

There probably are.. that was just one example which struck me the first time I finished reading all 4 of the gospels. I personally don't believe that the Bible is 100% God's word, as in, not a single word was misunderstood by the prophets who wrote it.

Have you ever read the book of Ecclesiastes? the first chapter starts off "life is useless". What a lovely message. If I singled out that one verse and gave it to someone as God's word, and they actually believed me, they'd probably jump off a tall building. But I wouldn't do that, firstly because it's not the whole point of the bible, and also because I think that that verse was the personal feelings of the writer at the time. Read that book and you'll see what I mean. Throughout the book, the writer of ecclesiastes says many inspirational things, and does conclude that we should follow God, but although I think the book as a whole was inspired, I think that a lot of it is based on the writer's personal way of viewing things.

Ultimately, I view any discrepancies in the same way, as human errors at the time of writing, mistranslations, the writer allowing his personal thoughts to get in the text, anything like that. It's important to remember that although God inspired the bible (or so I believe) He didn't actually write it. I still believe the whole thing to be God's word, but in a complicated way.

[B]This is not to go off topic this is just to get Deus to think a bit instead of being a sheep.[/B][/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that. I was a non-Christian for.. about 19 years before I actually converted, it's a very recent thing. I'm not one for just believing things because someone says so, I'm one of those who actually questions, and comes up with a reason why I believe.

I won't reply after this, either.. heh (just to be clear on that).. PM me if you want ;)