OtakuBoards

Prophecies

Fall

As of now, New South Wales, Queensland, the ACT, parts of Victoria, South Australia, and The Northern Territory (all states of Australia) are in drought. New South Wales (the ACT included) and Queensland are of now the most affected.

Most of that makes up the entire country, excluding Western Australia and Hobart, and the East Coast of Australia. Think about it, if two more states were in total drought, that could make an entire country starving for rain. We're lucky that's not the case, yet.

Now this brings up the point of the thread. In the newspaper, which was Friday's (3 days ago now), I read an article to do with the then famous Indigo Jones. He was a person who predicted many events, one of which to be this drought we are currently stranded in.

Though he predicted a break for this drought. Apparently he predicted the drought to break in November. With "huge thunderstorms" bringing a break-through to the drought. Now we did experience [i]some[/i] thunderstorms, rain, hail, last month, but theysure as hell were not anywhere near "huge".

To be honest, in some places these thunderstorms didn't even settle the dust, like the town I live in, let alone the places that didn't get anything close to a storm.

So, as we've seen, this prophecy was obviously wrong in many eyes.

So this brings me to ask you, do you believe in prophecies, predictions, whatever you may call it? Do you believe that such things can be done by a living human-being?

....I, quite frankly, have lost all belief in prophecies I once took the time to take notice of.

[color=#507AAC]If you are clever and logical, you can predict almost anything.

Really, most mind reading and other forms of paranormal activity are nothing but "magic". No different from seeing someone being cut in half on a stage. It can look very real...it can feel very real. But it's not necessarily real.

I'm sure others will disagree. But there are many ironies and contradictions when it comes to predictions -- funny how people never predict anything particularly useful. But what can I say, it doesn't surprise me in the least.[/color]

I don't believe in prophecies one little bit. There was a good South Park on the other night that poked fun at John Edwards and his psychic ability. I don't know how many people still watch that show, but it pointed out some of the "smoke and mirrors" involved with the practice.

Many of these so-called prophets predict hundreds upon hundreds of circumstances, but very rarely do they occur accordingly. That's what a lot of cheesy tabloids and publications won't tell its readers. Nostradamus is fairly famous prophet, and people seem to clamor to his "predictions," but the ratio of failed prophecies far outweigh the successful.

I don't believe in biblical prophecies either. If they held any value, the world would have ended closely following the days of Jesus. That's why the New Testament condemns sexual behavior as opposed to the Old Testament's positive attitude towards futility; there wasn't a need to reproduce during that time because the apocalypse was near.

So, yeah, I feel that most predictions are broad "pot shots." Nothing more than lucky guesses.

[color=crimson]Like Justin says, I stand by the Bible ones. Anything else, I don't trust.
Psychics, seances, tabloids, and the like are a bunch of alterated BALONEY.
*claps hand over mouth* Oops...well, hope I didn't offend too many with that :bluesweat, but that is my belief and I am sticking to it. Hold with the original ideas of these OtakuBoards and respect it, a'ight? ;)[/color]

I hold very little stead by any prophecies. I don't even read horoscopes, because they're often so vague they can be applied to any single thing. Wasn't it Nostradamus who predicted that the world would end on the 9th September 1999? And there have been several doomsday prophecies apart from that, all of which have been wrong so far.

In the papers a few months ago they printed one supposedly relating to the destruction of the WTC, but again it was very vague, and more than likely referring to two completely different towers- it was written several thousand years ago, when they would have had no idea of the sort of structures we'd make. So I'd say they're lucky guesses or, as with the case of most of them, just plain inaccurate ones.

[color=crimson]Yeah, that's true--you get all these English scholars who symoblize everything into anything. And you're also right about horoscopes.
According to the horoscopes/Chinese ones, I'm supposed to detest the very people I hang out with. ODD. Heh, but I love 'em to death, really. And I only fit the description of a Leo part way. Beh heh heh.

Sorry if I sound contradictory to myself in my other post, but here's something: just because I don't agree with anyone's belief doesn't mean I don't respect them. Just remember that. I know I can't sway any of you to my side any more than you can sway me to yours. :box: [/color]

I honestly don't think it takes a genius, or the paranormal to predict something. Like he said about Indigo Jones. It doesn't take a no brainer to predict that there probably will be catastrophic weather events sometime in the future, however I would be amazed if he predicted the exact month or date, or something like that, but just making a prediction over a large span of time isn't really a prophecy, it's just an educated guess. It's like guessing cards, I mean you're eventually going to get it right although it might take a while.

Idon't beleive in prophecy's it would mean too many things and go against too many laws of nature. MAinly the fac that there would be proof of DNA strands throughout other people of having the same "gifts" or signs and there would be enought information left behind to track prophecers totheir inheritants.

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]I premonise things, like the other day I knew I was going to see a friend in couple of days, and I wasn't looking forward to it because for some reason I thought he wouldn't like me anymore. I saw him yesterday, and it was true. No reason, and he denied it, but he hardly said three kind words to me the whole day and was paying me out the whole time. The last time I saw him before that we were pretty good friends. Another event I remember was hanging aroung on the lawn with my friend Lauryn, and she was lying under the macadamia nut tree and asked me to lie down with her but I didn't want to and I didn't know why, I mean, I would have like to have lain down but I was scared to. I asked her to get up and come over to me, and she did because she said I looked scared. As soon as she got up a branch fell off the tree and landed next to her. It wasn't big, and it would have hardly scratched me, but I was scared all the same. All the other times have just been taking the washing in for no reason, even though it's still damp, and then it starting to rain. Scary, but I have learnt to accept it. Not really prophecies, but perhaps if I put my mind to it.... it doesn't happen that much these days. Perhaps it was just women's intuition. [/color][/font]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:therock: Nope sorry, I don't believe in prophecies, I tend to believe that there is no such thing as pre-determined fate or destiny. I believe more along the lines that the future is uncertain and can not be pre-determined based on the fact you have the power to change your future and fate.

:cross: Or something along those lines...:freak:

[FONT=arial] [color=red] Here is something that I have had to deal with as a Christian and believer in Jesus, it really annoys me that people can go around saying Nostradamus this, Nostradamus that, when the guy gets a few little details right all over the place, and the Holy Bible, which is 100% accurate in its predictions of Jesus, which were all fulfiled nicely, and the events and prophecy coming to light in this day, about to bring about the second coming, are being passed off as fairy tale.

FACT: The bible is a heck of alot more accurate than Nostradamus

EDIT: btw CWB, when you consder that 1000 years unto the lord is like a day, then the time thingy issue is not a problem, and about the Bible being against pro - creation in the new testament, where did you get that from? The Bible does not condemn fertility, except for out of wedlock and, dare i say it, homosexual. [img]http://digilander.libero.it/ilxnucleo/Emoticon/Angelico.gif[/img] [/color] [/FONT]

[color=blue]I'll have to agree with Rick on this one. No, I do not believe in prophecies, mediums, channelers, etc. But no offense to anyone, and I don't intend on starting anything with this, but the bible is not 100% correct. What year is it? 2002? Did not the bible say the apocalypse will come in the year 2000? Please, do correct me if I am wrong, but they did find an astroid that will pass within a mile of us in about 878 years or so... that could be the apocalypse... But other than that, I don't believe in prophecies at all... not even the divine prophecies. I live by, and believe my own theories and predictions, for I work toward making my predictions come true. And if one doesn't, I don't start a big thing about it being wrong... it was just a guess... as is all these other prophecies... And as James said, anyone can predict... as long as it's logical... and people will follow it...

Some people will fall for any coincidence...

-Valen[/color]

[FONT=arial] [color=red] Valen, the whole thing about the year 2000 being the apocalypse was mis read doctrine, they take it from revelation 20:7 which says, "when the thousand years are up, satan will be released from his prison and will go out to decieve the nations in the four corners of the earth, which are called Gog and Magog". When this actually refers to a period of a thousand years when Christ will reign on the earth. So the whole year 2000: apocalypse thing was wrong, but now the scriptures are coming true and have done since 1948. I would be happy to share this with you, pm me and I'll tell you, but the best point of advice Valen is, if you read the bible with an open heart and willingess to accept Christ Jesus, who the evidence points to, and this, contrary to belief, outweighs evolution theories as well, please Valen, and anyone else who would like to know more about the exciting end times prophecy, pm me and I'll explain in further detail, why I accepted Christ jesus as my saviour [img]http://digilander.libero.it/ilxnucleo/Emoticon/Toccato.gif[/img] [/color] [/FONT]

Here I am, some guy who studies physics and biochemistry, and I decided to become a Christian. A month after becoming a Christian, I went to a Christian conference, where Gareth Robinson (a UK worship leader) prophesied that I would worship more. Coming from a worship leader, I wasn't too sure what to make of it. At another Christian conference, a month later, I suddenly, out of no-where, became a worship leader.

For one thing, Gareth had no idea that I actually knew how to play the keyboard (and neither did anyone at the other conference either), so he couldn't have thought "this guy plays keyboard, therefore he'll probably end up leading worship".. so there was no logic involved.

Yes, I believe in divine prophecy.. I've seen it work a few times now, with people that knew nothing about me whatsoever, in startlingly accurate ways. Don't bother trying to convince me it's not real. However, the non-divine kind I don't really have a particular opinion on.

I'm a Christian and I believe in Jesus and all that good stuff, but sometimes I think that somebody out there either doesn't know how to translate the Bible or somebody added their own non-biblical predictions to the text.

Think about it: Everytime a prediction in the Bible gets the slightest detail wrong, somebody jumps up and says that they weren't reading it right, and that something that looks like it was written plain and simple is actually written to mean something else altogether. Out of all of the predictions I've heard about, the one I trust more is that only God will know when the end will come.

I don't like any of these shows about people talking to the dead. I just don't think they're real. All one has to do is pull a random relation out of their pocket and make up something they have to say. Watch...

[i]"Somebody... a user on Otaku Boards has lost a relative. It's a woman; a female woman. It's a female woman who you are related to. You were close, but you wish you had been closer. You're not particularly happy about the day she died. You wish you had the power to save her. She is at rest. She wants you to move on. She wants you to know she loves you very much and she forgives you. She says do not fear death, but fear that life that is not lived.... Oh, my powers grow weak. She is slipping from this plane and into the next."[/i]

I think the only "prophecies" worth checking out were those allegedly recorded by nostadomas.

Im sure plenty on the boards have heard of him.

Hes made a bunch of calls, but they all had to be translated so it makes one wonder if the translator could have been looking for certain things when he/she did the translating.

According to story, he called the discovery of america, kennedy's assasination, landing on the moon and many other things. I mean tons of other stuff.

He wrote about 2,000 "proverbs", actually more than that, but they were all close to stuff that has happend, and its really a matter of what the translator says.

None the less, of all the prophecies out there, nostradomas is one that is worthy of checking out.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by gokents [/i]
[B]
He wrote about 2,000 "proverbs", actually more than that, but they were all close to stuff that has happend, and its really a matter of what the translator says.[/B][/QUOTE]

Firstly: Not [i]all[/i] of them

Secondly: They were written in a peculiar mixture of several different languages, i.e. the language would usually switch between individual words, so each one can say a very large number of things (Even more than your average ancient>modern translation)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick Hunter [/i]
[B]:therock: Nope sorry, I don't believe in prophecies, I tend to believe that there is no such thing as pre-determined fate or destiny. I believe more along the lines that the future is uncertain and can not be pre-determined based on the fact you have the power to change your future and fate.

:cross: Or something along those lines...:freak: [/B][/QUOTE]

Let's say someone records something live. Then they watch it again. From the beginning of the tape, they know exactly what was going to happen, but does that mean they had absolute control over it? Now let's assume that the Christian faith is correct, and God is timeless (i.e. he is at all times at once- conceptually hard, but so is omnipresence, when you actually think about it), and therefore has this "recording" right from the beginning of the universe. Just because he knows what's going to happen, doesn't mean it was all pre-determined.

That's pretty much what prophecy (in the Christian context) is about.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]I don't believe in biblical prophecies either. If they held any value, the world would have ended closely following the days of Jesus. That's why the New Testament condemns sexual behavior as opposed to the Old Testament's positive attitude towards futility; there wasn't a need to reproduce during that time because the apocalypse was near.[/B][/QUOTE]

They prophesied that Jesus would come "soon", around 500 years before he did. The word "soon" in the biblical context doesn't necessarily mean by [i]our[/i] standards.

And fertility isn't condemned. There's a verse that says somewhere "I would rather you be like me and live alone" or something like that, but then he goes on to say that if [i]you[/i] don't want to live alone, the [i]don't[/i]. Condemnation of an action is something completely different.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by S@bretooth [/i]
[B][FONT=arial] [color=red] The Bible does not condemn fertility, except for out of wedlock and, dare i say it, homosexual. [img]http://digilander.libero.it/ilxnucleo/Emoticon/Angelico.gif[/img] [/color] [/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]
Dare you say it? What is that suppossed to imply?
Getting back on topic, The Bible is accurate, I believe, in Prophecies. But tell me this what was all this stuff about the end of the world in 2000, they say it was misread but will the same thing be said for the next end of a thousand years?
Was that suppossedly actually in the Bible?
Nostradamus was a genius in many ways and I believe he was just as accurate as the 'ol bible.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vegeta rocker [/i]
[B]Dare you say it? What is that suppossed to imply?[/B][/QUOTE]

What he meant was "Dare I say that homosexuality is wrong, according to my beliefs" and he was implying that people may be hostile towards that comment.

...Prophet... Prophecies...Prophets.....

To my recollection, Prophecies are more often wrong than right....

This Indigo Jones guy may/may not have been a lucky lucky guy...but in the end, I cant beleive nor disbeleive in prophecies...I just dont have the full knowlege to prove either right or wrong...none of us do....but, I'd just prefer to think that I'm not causing myself any extra grief by stating somthing I cannot prove... >.<

[color=red] That's exactly right Deus Ex. On another point, Nostraduamus has gotten alot of his prophecies wrong, I don't really know about Indigo Jones, so i don't know if he was wrong somewhere, but i would say that would be true. The Bible tells us the way to discern a false prophet is that they get things wrong. Wheras The Bible has been 100% accurate. [/color]