Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
what is a sentence that you would use opacity in? for people who don't know what opacity means, here is a definition.

Opacity: The conditon of being opaque.
Opaque: 1. Not able to be seen through. 2.difficult or impossible to understand.

opacity
n 1: not permitting the passage of light [syn: opaqueness] [ant: transparency] 2: incomprehensibility resulting from obscurity of meaning [syn: opaqueness] 3: the quality of being opaque to a degree; the degree to which something reduces the passage of light

lol now that you got the meaning down. This is the sentence that I just heard with it in it.

"and you have the opacity to crawl in here and demand restoration?"
-A demon, talking to Spike the vampire.

could somebody please help me out here lol, it drives me crazy everytime I hear it. I need to know how to use the stupid word.
Oh and thanks for your peoples help. Lol
Posted
[color=darkred]That's sounds pretty right. Never actually seen that, but it does sound right...or better than opacity or whatever. I don't know what opacity means, not in the right context, at least. So...I was hazarding a guess...[/color]
Posted
if you got the quote right, im certain that the use of "opacity" (being dark; opaque) was substituted for either audacity, as endymion mentioned, or tenacity. it was probably intended as a pun or "play on words" in reference to the vampire theme in the text.
Posted
[color=red] Well, depending on how deep you take the meaning--I believe it means, in that sentence you just showed...


"And you have the opacity[b][density][/b] to crawl in here and demand restoration?"

Basically it's saying exactly what Endymion said--that he thinks he has the guts, or audacity, as you might put it, to demand restoration. But it certainly has other uses than that.[/color]
Posted
lol, that helps. Thanks I pretty much think I got it now. I don't know if audacity was the word, but I'm pretty sure I heard opacity. but they both seem pretty much to go with the setence.
Posted
That looks like it was from the last ep of Season 6 of Buffy, when Spike is trying to get rid of the restraints on his behaviour as a result of the chip (for non-Buffy people, I would explain but I think you'd be better off asking Sere :D).

To answer the question, I'm 99.9999999% sure the word was 'audacity' but the creature in the cave spoke with a hiss so the 'd' was spat out like a 'p'. What does 'audacity' mean? Fearless or reckless daring.

And in regard to the line you just quoted, opacity really makes no sense whatsoever. Putting it there would simply render the sentence meaningless, whatever the context of that line.

*glances at Lady Asphyxia* ....I guess now we just have to wait for Sara. ;)
Posted
gah it is from the the second last episode of season 6 of buffy or somethign like that, I freaking love the show lol( I first started watching it the day it came out in canada Oo), I was watching it at 3 in the morning so, I could of been really tired and heard it wrong. It probally was audacity.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...