Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I've been trying to get into these kinds of games for years now, I've recently discovered a game that I'm trying to start a campaign for, called [b]ShadowRun[/b], which looks very intriguing.

I guess I'm just wondering what other members like to play (I know there's more out there than just Dungeons and Dragons ^_^;; ) and what makes pencil and paper RPGs so great [i]in your opinion[/i]?

And two more questions following from that:
1) How do you get people to stay in one place long enough to actually play? Short of locking them in my fridge I find very few ways to keep them all in the same place at the same time O_o!!
2) Can you play with just the GM and one player? Whatcha think? Can it be done?

Heh, I'm done I think ^_^;;
Posted
Well, I've played for awhile, and the easiest way to get everybody on one place is to plan ahead of time. Call like a week early, and orginize it! It works. *nodnod*

Playing with just a GM and a one player can work, but it's not as good as if there were a bunch of people!
Posted
Yeps! ORien is right [b]ALWAYS[/b] plan your sessions ahead so that the players and GMs schedules don't clash. also, make sure you have a game that everyone is interested in!
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Agatio [/i]
[B]I started a thread about these a while ago. But hey you never know, they might not close it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well it's not on the first page of the Otaku Lounge, or I wouldn't have posted this one...

Has anyone actually [i]heard[/i] of ShadowRun? Or have I just found a reasonably obscure RPG to start playing with? O_O?
Posted
I have heard of it, but never played it. I know some friends that play it but Ive never played with them. Ill have to try it next time I see them.
Posted
i never really understood those kind of games.

and i never really bothered with them because of the opinion people have of pencil and paper rpgers, mainly d&d.

but im willing to try anything once, can anyone tell me how to play a game like this?
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James_of_Brujah [/i]
[B]if u want to fing a good RPG check out some of the white wolf games,
and if you get grapevine you can make LARPs. thier all based on the D-10 system and they are realy fun to play. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you play Vampire. It looks as if you do because of the Brujah thing. Maybe we could play sometime on the boards. Get a game started.
Posted
Oh thats cool. Do you play any other White Wolf RPGs? I currently am playing Mage, Vampire, and Hunter. I play alot more too but havent played in a while. Which do you play.
Posted
I dont like Changling all that much. I love Werewolf though. One of my favorites. Oh, another game I forgot to mention is Rifts. Thats a good game too. But you die like really quick in that game.
Posted
That's one thing I don't do in an RPG is let a player character die... I figure it's utterly pointless to destroy something someone spent hours making. I'm fairly new to it so I may be missing something, but as a GM I provoke a little miracle or something to help the players out. That is, if they wanna continue playing that character rather than already have a new one in mind.
Posted
I know. One time, I had an amazing Werewolf character and I lost it because the GM made a huge Vampire come out of nowhere and kill me. I was really pissed. It took so long to make that character too.
Posted
I love Werewolf, and I'm currently in A Vampire LARP and a Changeling LARP...mega fun...I tried to get a W:tA game going on here, but not enough people knew what I was talking about...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
Shadowrun, is not an overly obscure game, but it is a bit older and you might find that it tends to only be popular amoung twenty something year olds. That is my experience anyway, but I dont mind, the twenty year olds im talking about are some of the cooler people I know in my town.

As for the attraction of paper and pen games, which by the way nobody has discussed yet, I think it's the chance to be someone else, most people would prefer to be a mighty warrior or gun toting hero than their actual selves.
Posted
origional message
"and i never really bothered with them because of the opinion people have of pencil and paper rpgers, mainly d&d."

You do tend to get some fanatics that get all dressed up and stuff. I've been a DnD Dungeon master (equivelent of a GM. GM-DM you get it) and the key to a good map is keeping it runniong, The best way to do this is to plan your rooms\traps\monsters in advance. If the game starts to slow dow, throw in a trap during the session to keep players on their toes, or let them get jumped by monsters. NEVER just give them heaps powerful magical items. I played a map where we found a cuppla +5 rings in the TRASH! BOORING! I want monsters and heroics and...well..Roleplaying.
Get ehat I'm gettin at?
Posted
I do.hee hee..my cleric is s far 12th level and has vanquished: too many orcs to count, a lich, 3 dragons, drow, a hydra, goblins, numerus demons, and the undead. It's quite fun. Unfourtunately, my DM is away at college in Southern California, while I'm stuck up in Northern California :bawl:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...