OtakuBoards

Cuban Missle Crisis?

Seifer

I was just wondering, who all learned about this in school? Well I goto looking at my history book of the us and it goes all the way up to Desert Strom but nothing is mentioned about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Is that because it was really embarrasing and showed how dumb our pres was?

Yes it was a foul up to a certain point but we did get the russians to pull back their missiles?

If you have this in your books please say something, Im just curious what it says.

Kennedy was the worst diplomat ever. He saidd the one thing you dont say. I think it was like "You want a war, youll get a war" It was something like that but it messed everything up.

Well as they say, history book only tell us the good things...

They tend to leave out the embarrasing things... like when we put Japanese-Americans in Consentration Camps during WWII, or when we slaughtered thousands of Native Americans and the Trail of tears.... then i wonder why they leave in the Macarthy Era stuff... that's kinda embarassing.. hehe.... stupid "list" of Communists

However, if you want to really know what happened and how good the preident's STAFF was (not Kennedy himself, cause well.... we all know he wasn't the best) watch the movie "Thirteen Days".... it's beyond great and it shows you just how close we were to nuclear war... and how good Bobby (Robert Kennedy) was at what he did....

great movie... and a great time in history to learn about....

i was goin' through the glossary of my book and it talked bout it... and i learned bout it in 10 th grade... very interesting... i love things like that... i love learnin' bout past wars... the way it REALLY went down... i don't learn by watchin' movies like "Pearl Harbor", "The Walking Dead," Saving Private Ryan," or "Enemy At The Gates!" (although it was a good movie) :D

Yeah, also our alabama and us history books dont talk about the incident that happend in birmingham in the 60's that they had to send the National Guard in. All i have seen are pics and stuff. I cant find nothign at school that explains what happened. It just talks about blacks having water houses shooting at them and dogs attacking them.

Well about the concentration camps. Under no circumstances should we do that but everyone should know by concentration camp we detained them. Dont get it confused with the Nazi Deathcamps. Many confuse the two. Alot of people think concentration camp was the camps with the big incinerators. Tru when america advanced on it to france, they started just shooting the jews in the camps, the place where they mainly did the killing was death camps.

But i can see why they detained the japanese and thats mainly because, like with the terrorist there were all inside america and had spies everywhere. They could not rely on intelligence back then. But im not trying to justify what they did.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Seifer [/i]
[B]Well about the concentration camps. Under no circumstances should we do that but everyone should know by concentration camp we detained them. Dont get it confused with the Nazi Deathcamps. Many confuse the two. Alot of people think concentration camp was the camps with the big incinerators. Tru when america advanced on it to france, they started just shooting the jews in the camps, the place where they mainly did the killing was death camps.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Be assured I don't get the two mixed up... Americans detained the Japanese, the Nazi's detained then killed the Jews... I know that... they were still concentration camps regardless.... if you watch the movie "It's a Beautiful Life" (i think) .. you know, the italian one that one like 4 academy awards or something.... that does a good job to show what Nazi concentration camps were like and the life of the Jews in them... which is sad... sad sad movie... :(... but the movie Thirteen Days doesn't exagerate anything. It tells true history... I suggest everyone watch it... great great movie.

Alot of movies add to or change stuff to make it more dramatizing. There are a few that have not added or changed anything or very little. To name a few: Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates, Patton. They all had some minor flaws but nothing that was just flat out wrong or had one man killing hundreds.

They also put the jews on death marches, they marched them to camps closer to the core of the Third Reich. If you stumbled or fell you where shot. It doesnt make sense how they went to the exttreme of trying to kill the whole race but why did they not just kill them all instead of holding them in camps for as long as they did. That doesnt make sense.

[B]They also put the jews on death marches, they marched them to camps closer to the core of the Third Reich. If you stumbled or fell you where shot. It doesnt make sense how they went to the exttreme of trying to kill the whole race but why did they not just kill them all instead of holding them in camps for as long as they did. That doesnt make sense. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well they used the Jews alot for factory work... the men and some children did alot of steel work making products for war... they were basically slaves... Hitler's stupid dream of killing the Jewish for whatever reason. Women also were used to make food for the army and stuff.... old people and children not workable were killed in the gas chambers upon arival... stripped and then gased.... sad... all because Hitler wanted to "purify" the human race.... sadistic bastard!

Whats scary is, what if hitler had not have been an idiot? His biigest mistake was trying to make himself a General. He did know what in the world he was doing. Then he kills off one of the best Generals in his army and perhaps one of the best in the world even today. (Rommel) He was a big idiot. He tried to fight two fronts at the same time. all hes genrals tried to get him to let them do it but they feared of being shot if they pressed the subject.

Its scary he might could have actually won if it was not an idiot. All he was good at was speaking.

[B]Whats scary is, what if hitler had not have been an idiot? His biigest mistake was trying to make himself a General. He did know what in the world he was doing. Then he kills off one of the best Generals in his army and perhaps one of the best in the world even today. (Rommel) He was a big idiot. He tried to fight two fronts at the same time. all hes genrals tried to get him to let them do it but they feared of being shot if they pressed the subject.

Its scary he might could have actually won if it was not an idiot. All he was good at was speaking. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well thats a good thought, but he would have lost regardless....

Yes he rid himself of the Desert Fox (i do believe thats what Rommel called himself) which you are right, was a huge mistake...

He could have and probably woul dhave won having not America entered....

If the war in Europe hadn't ended, that was the first target of the A-Bomb. And they were planning on using it in Germany first.... But that war ended before they could, so they threw it on Japan.... having the bomb been dropped on Hitler, I'm sure he would have pissed his pants and ended it right there... he was a coward at heart... but sadly we never got to see that....

However if American never entered the war.... well Germany would have won... and god knows where we'd be right now... And germany was trying to develop the A-Bomb too, however they abondoned the project because they couldn't figure it out and plus they needed the scientist to make other things for like U-Boats and junk.... it was because of germany that we even started work on the A-Bomb.... then we later figure out all they said about "splitting a Uranium Atom" was false... they never did that.... and because they lied, we made the bomb... and then blew up Hiroshima and Nagasaki.... sadly... Admiral Yamamoto was a brilliant man but he made a VERY big mistake... and the line in the movie Pearl Harbor says it all... "I'm afraid we have awoken a sleeping giant".....

Yeah your right, Killing the dessert fox was more than likely one of his biggest mistakes. And Rommel himself told hitler they would land at Normady but he didnt listen. Thank God he didnt too or Normady would have failed, the 101st would have been completly wiped out and only the lord knows what would have happend then. We where extremly lucky with the loses we did suffer althoug there was a large amount of cassualties. If Hitler would have listen to rommel and positioned the 1st Panzer division there. It would have been very very bad. Hitler did not send rommel troops either. Rommel request more supplies and troops in his dessert campiang but hitler said no.

Anyone who is interested in this stuff get the book titled:"What IF? Strategic Alternatives of WWII by: Harold C. Deutsch and Dennis E. Showalter." Its great.

You bring up another very good point about Yammamoto. He was a military genius as well. Alot of his downfall was bad luck, and an incompetent staff.