OtakuBoards

crash

Guest troopa

Bleh, I've never liked the Crash Bandicoot series.

First off, I've always felt that the character of Crash was a second rate ripoff of Sonic the Hedgehog. He has the kind of look that makes you think that some suits dreamed him up to capitalize and profit off his image and "attitude."

Second, I never really liked the Crash Bandicoot gameplay. It's like a 2D/3D Super Mario Bros. save for one thing: Super Mario Bros. did it a million times better. The gameplay, to me, always seemed to come off as flat and boring.

Speaking of the gameplay, it's barely changed at all over the years; each Crash game (save for Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash, which are essentially ripoffs of Mario Kart and Mario Party except that Crash Team Racing was actually pretty good) has had pretty much the same exact gameplay as their predecessors. Maybe a couple little things were added, but the gameplay hasn't really changed, even today.

But that's just my opinion. You can take it for what you think it's worth.

[img]http://64.95.118.51/images/opti/59/eb/700689-601054-games_cover-resized200.jpg[/img]

2nd best platoformer of all time. (SMB3 holds the #1 spot)

The Crash series on the PSX (or one...bleh) was the first game I owned. As in, it was mine, the whole thing. The Playstation, the game, everything. I was in LOVE with this game, and I still am. It is truly one of the greatest PSX games around.

However...anything associated with Crash that isn't on the PSX is utter trash. Some other developer took over (or bought) the series. Naughty Dog has made some pretty good games since (Jak and Daxter, ect.) but Crash 1 is still their best game.

(Note: Crash Bash was crap as well)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]Bleh, I've never liked the Crash Bandicoot series.

First off, I've always felt that the character of Crash was a second rate ripoff of Sonic the Hedgehog. He has the kind of look that makes you think that some suits dreamed him up to capitalize and profit off his image and "attitude."[/B][/QUOTE]

I know [i]exactly[/i] what you mean and I think that's why Crash has never been able to find the same niche as the more genuine mascots. You can tell that he's nothing but a product conjured up by the same kind of soulless marketing team that promotes kitty litter and toilet paper. Crash wasn't a labor of love, it was a product born on a white board where marketing execs used red marker to brainstorm what gamers look for in a platform video game character. It just feels like there's no soul there, if that makes sense.

In addition to the lack of originality, the title switched developers which is a big "no-no." But, you know, who could tell? lol

If you've played the Playstation 2 version of Crash Bandicoot, you've essentially played the PSX versions because it didn't seem to do anything new save for adding a few polys to the main character model. You were still jumping on penguins, smashing open boxes, collecting fruits and running from things. And it's that failure to grow up that really hurt whatever promise the series ever had. It's no longer a viable alternative to the more established platformers out there.

Crash Team Racing was well done. But again, it was obviously just a cash-in title that didn't bring anything terribly new or exciting to the table. At least not enough to capture my interest.

Charles echoed every sentiment that I have about Crash and characters just like him (Bubsy, Croc, etc.).

When you look at a character like Mario, you can feel the prescence that he has. You can tell that he wasn't just some souless character conjured up by some corporation to make some money. When you looked and played the game, you felt he was much more than that; you felt a connection with him.

Look at Link - he wasn't just created to sell some game. You can identify with the character. Who here hasn't wanted to just go on an adventure at some point in their lives? With Link, you can go on an adventure. It just makes the character seem that more real. You can't help but feel for the guy as he goes on an adventure to rescue Princess Zelda.

A character like Crash...it just isn't the same. You don't get the same feeling from a character like Crash Bandicoot. To me, Crash is just another animal mascot. Nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...
Sonic the Hedgehog, ty the tasmanian tiger, crash bandicoot, spyro, screw them all, man.

Ratchet and clank is a different story. There's................an actual plotline! In my opinion, its a much better game.