OtakuBoards

My futuristic girl....

wiccansamurai

Well, this is a picture I drew for my friend. I didn't do to much with the background because I'm not concentrating on backgrounds yet. I think there may be something off about the shading on her face, and I screwed up on her hands, especially the right one. Anyone else have any comments or critiques?

I like the background you have at the moment a lot. It does convey the electrical nature of the future that sci-fi peeps always perceive, so I think it does the job well enough. Kinda' looks like stalactites, so it could be natural forms painted in an artificial manner. Clever. Incidentally, how did you create the background?

Onto the figure - I see what you mean about the hands. Compared to the head they are really quite small. Try drawing them approximately as long from the base of the palm to the tip of the middle finger as the head is tall, and about as wide as half a face. Approximately, of course.

I'd also shorten the neck and thicken it a little, expand outwards around the ribs and shorten the thighs a bit. As regards shading I'd make the dent down through the navel less obvious by going over it with the shaded skin tone you've used (that line isn't really that prominent), add a bit more shading around the nose so that it doesn't just appear to jut out and on the right arm to show the shadow of the chest.

Eck, that sounded like a list of criticisms - it wasn't supposed to - they're just a few suggestions. ^^' As for what I really like in the figure, I think you've done a good job on glossing up the hair. I also like her clothes (though I'd draw the left leg of the shorts down a touch so that it appears the same length as the right leg), particularly the waist coat and the movement you've conveyed in it. The shading on those areas is especially successful, I think. Best of all are her eyes - the highlights on them are very good, and she has the nice triangular eyelash croppings that people keep telling me I should have. ^_^

I definitely think that with a teeny bit more work this will look great - hey, I really like it as it is anyway. I wouldn't change the background just yet - I like that a lot.

Thanks. I have to use photo reference to practice figures a bit more.... Actually, I would post my newer thing, but my scanner has decided not to work.

For the background, I kind of swirled the two shades of blues, used extrude cone-shaped, and then did a rough brush filter. At least that's what I think I did.... To tired to remember.