Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Little mo trick


Recommended Posts

Guest cloricus
Posted
I came across this a while ago when I was so bored I couldn't be bothered typing in a full address for a myOtaku user. This was back when you used to have to type /folder/username but it still cuts down time and typing with the current addressing.

Instead of typing [url]http://www.myotaku.com/username[/url] just simply type myotaku/username into the address bar of your browser, so some thing like myotaku/cloricus replaces [url]http://www.myotaku.com/cloricus.[/url]

It's just a side effect of how Adam has structured his side and how decent web browsers use URI's to locate URL?s. When I say decent I mean this will work in basically anything as long as it's not MSIE.

Just thought I?d share that. :)
Posted
Thanks cloricus, this trick will definately make stalking newer people much easier online. :)

Did you try it on MSIE? I am now an Opera user, so I wouldn't know (thanks, btw). :-/ And could you clarify how and why this works a little more, for those of us who have no clue what a URI is?
Guest cloricus
Posted
I have tried it in Mozilla versions 1.5a, b, rc1 and 1.6b; firebird .7; also in Opera 6 and 7+; though MSIE is the only one I've found that does not accept it. (I've tried it in a few other browsers, out of boredom, and they all seem to like it.)

Basically what happens is first off is that [url]http://[/url] is added to the address, though some browsers (moz opera) also check [url]ftp://[/url] and irc://, then [url]http://myotaku/cloricus[/url] is looked for on a master dns or a proxy. When it still doesn't find anything (this is where MSIE drops off) it will try .com .org .net .biz .au .co .tw etc etc in the address at point [url]http://myotaku.x/cloricus.[/url] (X being where it tries the endings.) The reason it does that is because in URL or URI (can?t remember which) it specifies correct domain name syntax, namely server.domain.identifier/other ([url]www.myotaku.com/[/url]) and this part of the syntax also allowed it to work under /users/username. And thanks to Adam registering myOtaku with GoDaddy he has the address with www and without it. Leaving us with the complete address, [url]http://myotaku.com/cloricus[/url] which then redirects to [url]http://www.myotaku.com/users/cloricus[/url] all with you only having to type myotaku/cloricus.

Cool ha?
Posted
Adam already announced that this worked several weeks ago.

And by the way, in the case of myOtaku, it should work in IE. You might want to try that out before you say that next time.
Guest cloricus
Posted
I hadn't seen Adam's announcement, and every one who's asked me about it hasn't heard either. (About twelve people so far.)

Also I did try MSIE, the following is a picture of MSIE6(sp1) with all patches and no spy/ad ware or hacks.

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=536633[/img]
Posted
I misunderstood, so I apologize. In any case, I don't see the usefulness of this personally. If you can't type .com after something, I pity you lol. It's four whole keystrokes heh. It seems like yet another way to insult Microsoft and show off your computer knowledge honestly. If this is just a feature of "good" browsers, what does it have to do with the site itself? Sure, I suppose it is a neat thing when all is said and done... but that's about it lol.

[edit]Forget this other stuff I had posted. I was advised to leave it in here, but it isn't even worth the effort. The fact that you think my annoyance is simply over the fact that I misunderstood you couldn't be farther from the truth.[/edit]
Posted
I'm going to take this opportunity to close this thread; there's little point in keeping it open. You've said what you've wanted to say, and that's the end of that.

However, I want to make one thing perfectly clear, cloricus--I don't want to hear about you approaching staff members on AIM with a condescending attitude and calling them names (like "idiot"). The things you said to Tony, in particular, where completely unjustified. A simple misunderstanding isn't cause for name calling. Especially considering the cryptic posts you come out with sometimes.

I just won't tolerate behavior of that nature; it'd downright rude and unacceptable. If this occurs again, I'll ban you and leave it at that. If you want to be a jerk, go find a mirror. ^^
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...