OtakuBoards

Pet Shop of Horrors

Tog

Has anyone else read/seen Pet Shop of Horrors? (author: Matsuri Akino; published in English by: Tokyopop; anime produced by: Urban Vision) No one I've asked so far has even heard of it. It's a really good series (ok, the anime was a bit dissapointing, but the manga's really good!). So, if you have seen it, please tell me what you think of it. Also, does anybody know where I could find the manga translations? I don't think I can wait for the 5th book to come out in English. I've already scratched through the first few layers of my skin waiting for the 4th one.

Yeah I love Petshop of Horrors! i've only read the manga but...i've read all of it that's out! I didn't know there was an anime but from what you've said it doesn't sound as good a the manga is. I'm not sure what my favorite story is from it? They're all so good. But tokyopop has been poping them out faste then most of their manga so i guess I shouldn't complain but I wish they would all come out at once. But hey aren't they better after the wait? Count D is so cool....

In the anime, D's not nearly as cool and adorable as he is in the manga. He's just... creepy, but in more of a cheesy way. (However, Q-Chan is sooo cute!!) Although, they did portray Leon quite well. The stories in the anime are changed a bit too. Such as, the rabbits don't get out of the house, etc, etc. It makes me really sad... I was expecting much better. The animation just isn't very good. Siiiigh. I still cry about it at night.

The animated version takes 4 stories from the manga and each story is 25 minutes long. The stories animated are Daughter, Delicious, Despire and Dual.

Like many manga turns anime, there is not a lot of character development in it comparing to the manga. My favorite is definitely the last chapter when we finally know what is in Count D's suitcase.

Eeeep! I have been a fan of Petshop of Horrors for a looooooong time, and yes, no one else seems to have heard of it :eek: . The anime, when I saw it, turned out to be a disappointment, because they picked the stories that had nothing to do with D and his past. Those ones, in the manga, to me are most intriguing.

And you're right, in the manga he's much more huggable. He still has that mysterious beauty, but childlike cutesy-ness as well, especially where chocolate is concerned ;). One of my favorite parts in the manga was when [spoiler] Orcot was trying to get D to follow him with a box of chocolates, but then another man (who, consequently, is trying to eat D) lures him away with better chocolates. So... CUTE! [/spoiler]

Volume 4 comes out in January! I can't wait!

And, in the anime, was anyone else annoyed by Orcot's persistant claims that D was selling drugs?

[QUOTE]And, in the anime, was anyone else annoyed by Orcot's persistant claims that D was selling drugs?[/QUOTE]

I am not annoyed. By the 4 volume, it is obvious Leon is only using the excuse to visit the pet shop.:smirk:

oooh! Petshop of Horrors is my latest manga craze!!! I've only read the first 2 volumes, but looking forward to the rest.

from what I've read in this thread, the anime seems to be a bit of a disappointment- do you guys think it's worth checking out anyway?
I think I'll still try to get my hands on it somewhere....

I love Q-chan, he's sooooo adorable!!

Oh yay! A Petshop of Horrrors thread! I love Petshop! I've read three of the manga and I own the DVD. I got the anime before I got the manga, and I think the anime's awesome, but it's not as good as the manga. But I think that it's only because there's only four episodes and the episodes they did animate weren't the best ones. Oh well, that's only my opinion. (D's awesome!)

• 1 month later...
Heh.... Does anyone think it's really, really, really, really, really, really funny that Count D is voiced by Toshihiko Seki who also plays the voice of Legato from Trigun (he also does a whole bunch of other cool roles, such as Sanzo from Gensomaden Saiyuki) and Leon is voiced by Masaya Onosaka who also does the voice of Vash from Trigun!! Heh heh, I find that beyond amusing. Small world, isn't it?

Count D is so wierd, b ut in a good was, he's so cute. Like little kid cute which is scary, and then the fact that he sells those animals that [spoiler]kill the people who brake a rule.[/spoiler] Which is kinda ironic, being he seems so nice and all... No one has heard of it, my BFF Naomisan24, has 1-4 we love them! InuYokai like them too. Q-Chan is the bestest!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Tog']Has anyone else read/seen Pet Shop of Horrors? (author: Matsuri Akino; published in English by: Tokyopop; anime produced by: Urban Vision) No one I've asked so far has even heard of it. It's a really good series (ok, the anime was a bit dissapointing, but the manga's really good!). So, if you have seen it, please tell me what you think of it. Also, does anybody know where I could find the manga translations? I don't think I can wait for the 5th book to come out in English. I've already scratched through the first few layers of my skin waiting for the 4th one.[/quote]
I've read it. The first manga I liked,but the rest went down hill. Why in all of the good mangas do they make the bishies gay? D rocks, but him and Leon, not a pair that I'd like to see... However, I wish I could see it anyway, seeing as how it's pretty good.

• 4 months later...
Guest Chibi Yoko
Hiya people! Of all the ~good/great~ anime/manga's out there, there is on that seems almost unmentioned: Pet Shop of Horrors! So, feel free to post any questions/comments about Pet Shop of Horrors here! :babble:

[color=hotpink][size=1]Wouldn't it be a better way to start a nice topic if you put what you liked about the series instead of just hoping someone will say something good? Just a nice suggestion for starting a thread. *QA*[/color][/size]

• 5 weeks later...
That was a very good anime movie but I watched it a very long time ago but I can remember alittle about it. I really like the way peolpe went to get a pet and ended up getting something really different it was kinda scarey.I like the rabbit one the best I wish they would come out with another one I bet it would be just as good.But, do you think that guy sold those pets just to teach a lesson or did he think they would really do as he asked on how to take care of the pets he gave them?