OtakuBoards

Urusei Yatsura

Shadow Wolf

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]This Anime came out in the 80's and perhaps that's why hardly anyone has heard of it. I love this series by the Queen of Romantic Comedy herself, Rumiko Takahashi. It's pretty comedic and has light romance. Just what you would expect from good old RT herself. But nobody I know has heard of it! :sweat: And the ones that have brush it off as Hentai because of Lum's dress attire. There's nothing Hentai about it! It wasn't very popular in America, so we don't have all the volumes and what little episodes there were!:grumble: [/b][/color][/font]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Actually, it is released here in America, but you probably wont just find it in your local videostore. The original version is called Urusei Yatsura and the English dubbed version has a different name entirely, Those Obnoxious Aliens.

I was interested in the series a while back after I watched the movie "Beautiful Dreamer." I never had a chance to watch any of the rest of the episodes/OVAs or read any of the manga, but I did my research of the series and I really enjoyed all of the characters.

If you haven't seen that movie, I highly suggest it. It's pretty strange and it really messes with your mind, but it touches on alot of psychological issues. It is a great romance, as well. I love how Lum is so fond of Ataru, but she's the one girl he doesn't want to give the time of day to. Of course, he really does love her, deep down inside (what Rumiko Takahashi frontman doesn't love his leading lady?), and so it makes it all funny and humorous. I love Lum's Stormtroopers as well. They are quite a cast of characters.[/color][/size]

[color=crimson]I saw this anime for sale during Christmas on disconutanimedvd.com. Now that it has been brought up, I would like to know what it is about. How many episodes are there? What are the characters and story like? I really would appreciate if someone could answer those questions. ^_^

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

Uresei Yatsura was one of the first aime I ever heard of. I've always been interested in it, but I've never actually seen it though. I think that they are, or already have, released an "updated" version of the movies.. Basically, better sound quality and a new (And a good) dub. Since my brother prefers dubbed, I think I'll wait for that. :)
I have read some of the manga, it's really good (And fun!) :)

[QUOTE=Luminaire][color=crimson]I saw this anime for sale during Christmas on disconutanimedvd.com. Now that it has been brought up, I would like to know what it is about. How many episodes are there? What are the characters and story like? I really would appreciate if someone could answer those questions. ^_^

~Lumi ^_^[/color][/QUOTE]
Here's the basica setup. It's not really a spoiler, because this all happens in the first episode. Still...

[spoiler]A teenager named Ataru Moroboshi is picked completely at random to save the Earth from a hord of space oni (or demons from outer space.) If he can catch the Oni's princess, Lum, by the horns on her head within 3 days, the Oni will leave and that'll be that. Ataru fails for the first two days, but the words from his girlfriend, Shinobu, encourage him to try harder. If Ataru succeeds, Shinobu will agree to marry him. On the final day of the challenge, Ataru catches Lum and triumphantly announces that he will marry Shinobu. Unfortunately, Lum misunderstood Ataru's announcement, and though he proposed to her. Now Ataru is engaged to the alien princess Lum, who lives with him and his family in Japan.[/spoiler] And then the weird stuff starts to happen.

It's a really funny series. One of my favorite comedy-centered anime. The situations they get into are insane, and the characters themselves are crazier. My local PBS affiliate used to air subtitled episodes every weekend. I don't think they ever finished showing it. I don't know exactly how many episodes there are, but I can tell you there are a lot of them.

[color=crimson]Thank you, Manic. I think I will definitely be looking into this series in the near future. It sounds very...interesting. ^_^ Alot of episodes though...and probrably not sold at the local video store...this is going to be hard to see. I'm not really into comedy anime, but this sounds pretty good. Thank you once again, Manic. And, if anyone finds out how many episodes there are, I would very much appreciate knowing. ^_~ >runs off to search the web<

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

• 6 months later...
The only Rumiko Takashi series I plan on trying to collect is Maison Ikkoku. Urusei Yatsura, with nearly 200 episodes, is discouragingly long. However, I'm really interested in the six or seven Urusei Yatsura movies (and possibly the eleven-episode OVA). Several of them have received a lot of praise for really screwing with the viewer's head while continuing to be genuinely funny and clever.

Hopefully, if I approach the films after reading up on the TV series and perhaps renting the first season or so (if necessary), I'll be able to appreciate them fully. I'm especially psyched about seeing Beautiful Dreamer and Lum The Forever.

~Dagger~