OtakuBoards

Lord of the Flies

Epitome

[size=1]We are currently reading this book in english and so far I think its great. We are in or around Chapter 10 and [spoiler]Simon has just died[/spoiler]. So far I have loved the book and how the characters are so explicit. William Golding gives such detail about the characters and how they act, look, etc. My favorite part is the part when [spoiler]Jack and his tribe agree to forget the beast and start to concentrate on hunting the beast. Then they go and kill the sow and the explicit and greusome detail was very amusing to me.[/spoiler]. Im not sure if Im allowed to say this, but that seen is supposed to be "rape" seen. They arent really physically raping it, but look at the description of it and try to figure it out, for those of you who have read it.

But anyways, has anyone read the book on the boards, and did you like it. Why or why not.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Fixed the spoiler tag - Semjaza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=firebrick]Awesome, awesome novel. [spoiler]I guess you could call that scene a bit of a 'rape' scene. The author is just trying to get the point across that all innocence and sense of control has been lost when Jack and his tribe kill a helpless and mother pig. Maybe to both the pig and the boys; it could be a rape scene. I've never really heard that idea, though. *ponders* Especially with that awful chant...reminds me of Brave New World. XD[/spoiler]

Anyone who hasn't read this book should really read it..I know highschoolers who haven't even heard of the book. It's a shame that so few people have read it. My sister forced me to read it in sixth grade, so I thank her. :toothy:[/color]

I read that book in 5th and 6th grade and again in high school since it was part of the class. I found it beyond interesting. I loved it. [spoiler]As far as the "rape scene", it it supposed to potray some kind of level of rape, not necessarily sexual rape, but they were "raping" the pig...taking pleasure in causing it such pain and whatnot.[/spoiler] And, I know what ya mean by that chant, maladjusted. I've read Brave New World...it was also awesome.

I do recommend reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I hope I got the author right. ><;

You can see smiliar themes between Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Flies...actually [spoiler]one of the scenes with Simon and the pig are "talking" is a direct connection to Heart of Darkness.[/spoiler] Heart of Darkness is a shorter read, however, I remember my teacher spending like 2 hours for the first several pages...just dissecting the book with the class. So, yeah. ^_^

[size=1]I really dont want to spoil it but [spoiler]he comes out of the woods because he saw the "beast" was actually a paratrooper that was killed by birds, and when her returns to tell the tribe he collpapses of dehydration and the others think its the beast and they pretty much just are so much savage by then they kill him without even realizing who it is. Then after he is dead, they realize it is Simon, and take his body and float him out to sea/[/spoiler] DO NOT HIGHLIGHT MY SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!! But Marcus, that is why if you must know.[/size]

Lord of the flies was an interesting book, but it has unfortunatly passed into obsurety in recent years as the school system attempts to phase in more culturaly diverse readings. If you are intrested in the Lord of the flies novel try reading Eli Wessel's [i]Night[/i] or Chaim Potok's [i]The Chosen[/i] as they deal with similar subjects of corruption and inner evils of man/nature and environment in a more explicit and working manner.

NOTE: THE ABOVE MENTIONED BOOKS ARE HAVILY INFLUENCED BY THE JEWISH HOLOCAUST OF WORLD WAR II. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED FOR THE FAINT OF HEART OR WEAK OF STOMACH AS SOME SCENES ARE DIRECT AND DETAILED IN THE CONFRONTATIONAL WORDING AND DETAILS.

I read this book in 5th grade. I loved it. I thik showing human nature as primal and showing how we really act without rules is an amazing way to chnage humaity's outlook on life. When I read the book alot of things I never thought could be possiable seemed to ring an answer. As you get further in the book things you never susepct from a gruop of kids will start to unfold.