OtakuBoards

This is the End--unhappy endings

Guest PutrescentTalk

Guest PutrescentTalk
I debated for a good while on which forum area to place this in: lounge or Music/Movies/TV. I decided to place it here because I think the topic at hand is much broader than just the media.

A few weeks ago it came to be as I left the theater after seeing [i]House of Sand and Fog[/i] (it was amazing, if you were wondering) I realized that now when I see a film, I expect to see an upsetting/tragic end. I'm more surprised to see a movie end in bliss than a bloodbath.

I think it might be society was a whole that is causing this and another revolution of some kind in the film industry that started decade(s) ago. At first I think it was very surprising to see an unfortunate end for the protagonist of a film, even more refreshing (for lack of a better word) to see the antagonist surmount the protagonist. The most classic, and best, example I can think of is the end to Roman Polanski's [spoiler]Chinatown[/spoiler].

I think it is getting abused though. What is your opinion on this? Are you seeing this too? What is the reason for this? What is with this trend of tragedy?

I think tragedy is more realistic than anything out there. Tragedy affords far more, primal emotions to be explored because of the inherent nature of the theme. Tragedy itself carries a theme that virtually everyone can associate and relate to, therefore, a message is far more powerful when conveyed through tragedy.

If you think about it.. Tragedy is forever inevitable. What goes up must come down. As soon as we achieve a pinnacle of some sort, as soon as life becomes amazing, it has no where to go but down. I don?t mean the situations must reverse (pure happiness turning into absolute despair), but the effect is still traditionally tragic. I?m having a bad day today, I would say. Why? Probably because yesterday was great? suddenly the world seems a little gloomier, and people a bit more cynical. Perhaps my expectations are too high and I?m the cynic. Regardless.. the perspectives have changed, and now I find myself looking up at what could have been a good day, rather than sitting aloft quite satisfied with how my day has progressed. This is a very simple form of tragedy.

I doubt it's a trend.. but less comedy movies have been out probably because of the sheer milking of the 90's huge chronicle of euphamisms and humor. The 90's trend of sarcastic humor had basically reached it's high tide amongst the general populace, progressing from the more slapstick Dumb-and-Dumber of the early 90's. This humor continues in movies today, but it will be a while before we find something else to be funny again. The same could be said for Action movies... we're sick of the "been there, done that" feeling. Tragedy can apply to far more flexible situations.