OtakuBoards

Gokusen

densuke

[b]Gokusen[/b] is a late-night comedy series which recently started airing in Japan. It is based on a josei (women's manga) by Morimoto Kozueko. The anime and manga are not licensed, but both are being translated and fanscanned/fansubbed.

Kumiko is a rookie high school teacher coming into a tough all-boy's school. She has a lot to learn. Unlike the veteran teachers she seems to accept her students for who they are, but the boys may not wish to reciprocate.

Kumiko is also a prominent member of a [i]yakuza[/i] (gangster) family. Her home is full of scarred, creepy-looking hoodlums. She tends to use the same slang terms they do, even in public - which confuses and scares people. She is physically tough and rather fearless. She tries rather clumsily to conceal her family background at work, but various incidents lead a few people at the school to become suspicious...

This is my favorite winter-season show. It is funnier than I can make it sound without giving away large parts of the story. I have been enjoying both the anime and manga immensely. I will gladly discuss either or both with anyone who has been watching or reading.

There are plenty of decent subjects to talk about including -
[list]
[*]The differences between the manga and the anime
[*]Josei manga and anime and how they bring something a bit different to the table
[*]Comparisons to other over-the-top high school shows like GTO and Sakigake! Cromartie High, or other manga like "Rookies"
[*]What romantic possibilities Kumiko might pursue
[/list]
If you don't know anything about Gokusen I recommend you track it down and check it out, and maybe come back again to this thread... cya

The dog is ruining the anime, the manga never have the bloody dog in the first place

[color=#503f86][size=1][b]I know you can put more than this in your posts, judging by the huge amounts of detail I've seen you write in other threads- replies this short are generally considered spam. -Solo[/size][/color][/b]

[quote name='stormy001_m1a2']The dog is ruining the anime, the manga never have the bloody dog in the first place[/quote]
That makes it sound like the anime is just not worth watching, which is not true. The anime and manga have different ways of telling the story but the addition of one character never makes or breaks any adaptation.

[COLOR=Red]I think this anime sounds pretty good [/color] [COLOR=Navy](although i have never heard of it before now!) [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]It actually sounds pretty stylish... I must hear more of this show! It sounds pretty good, densuke-kun! Well... I really can't say a whole lot on this post... considering I've never seen the subject myself... but I'll try! Thanks![/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Heaven is nice... its surprising how many humans don't want to end up here... [/COLOR] :hippy:

• 4 weeks later...
I've only watched the first episode, and I reserve my right to change my mind about this series.[/disclaimer]

With that having been said....

Anime comedies rarely manage to win my heart, but Gokusen seriously kicks ***. All of its characters are quirky and likeable, from Kumiko to the music teacher to Kumai. Even though the show's unusual-looking artwork does take some getting used to, I'd never call it ugly or unappealing, especially considering that I find Shin [i]immensely[/i] attractive. In a show filled with scrappy-looking students and caricaturish adults (such as the principal and Kumiko's thugs), he definitely stands out. Because of that, and because he features so prominently in the opening credits, I'm inclined to think of Shin as Kumiko's strongest romantic option.

I haven't seen enough of the show to even know about other potential suitors/victims. However, it would be nice to learn whether or not I'm totally off the mark. Either way, I guess I can't help being pre-disposed to favor him; that kind of character manages to get me every time. ^_^;

Is Gokusen very much like GTO? I'm still a GTO virgin (so to speak -_-), but if the show has anything in common with Gokusen, I might want to check it out.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1']Is Gokusen very much like GTO? I'm still a GTO virgin (so to speak), but if the show has anything in common with Gokusen, I might want to check it out.[/quote]
GTO is more about the teacher than the students. Onizuka is much larger than life; the other characters actively note this as he bumbles and brags his way through their lives. Gokusen presents a different balance of characters. Yankumi is interesting but she doesn't dominate every scene and story in quite the same way. Overall they cover much the same ground in their different ways.

• 9 months later...
[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Book Antiqua]So has anybody heard of the new anime series "The Gokusen"...at first I thought it would just be a cheap and poorly put together anime, but I finally saw it and I must say I was wrong, its very good, and the humor is never ending :laugh: , I suggest the series to everyone...Any opinions? :D[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 year later...
Guest inu_yisko
I have seen this anime on encore wam on directv satellite dish. I've watched every episode practically. It's rerunning it starting today but I'll watch them all over again. The Gokusen is my favorite anime; it's hilarious and Shin Sawada is hot. :animesigh

I have seen the anime as well, (on WAM) and I will admit that it does have it's moments. The [spoiler] mob as a teacher concept was an interesting one[/spoiler], but like Dagger, comedy in animes don't really grasp my attention. Mainly because they're either corny, not funny, or I just don't have a sense of humor when it comes to animes. (Why I kept watching it is beyond me. Nothing else on.... Nothing to do... etc.)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkred]I've just recently seen Gokusen (anime version) on tv and I loved it!!! It was hilarious and I really liked Shin and Kumiko to end up together, not considering their age difference (though I have no idea how old Kumiko is). It was so cute the way he blushed at the balcony scene (very much like Romeo and Juliet). I'm sad though because the channel I was watching it on was canceled because of my parents, so I'm unable to watch it anymore! :animecry: [/color][/font]