OtakuBoards

Saving Private Ryan, Pro American?

Tigervx

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Teal] I was watching Saving Private Ryan at my friends house today, and I couldn't help but feel it more hollywood then history. I had seen it before, but I looked at it differently. 17 American troopers held off 70 Crack German Troops along with two Panzer Tanks and Two Tigers? I find that hard to believe. Furthermore, the German Infantry had been seasoned by their campgien in Europe and Russia, making them much more knowledgable of battle. The American's were not as well baptised under fire, many had not been deployed until Overlord. How could 17 fresh American troopers hold off 70 German Veterans, not to mention the 4 tanks. [/font][/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. And what the heck was up with Aragorn and Gimli fighting off like a thousand orcs? And don't even get me started on Legolas. Oh man that was just bullcrap.

That extremely sarcastic bit having been said, I just see Saving Private Ryan as a wonderfully acted, directed, and scored film. Its "historical accuracy" is not too relevant considering the true story it tells is the story of a soldier who will go to the ends of the earth for whatever trivial reason as long as it'll get him back to his family. I agree that it's really badass for a small group of soldiers to hold off a much larger and heavily armed force, but history has seen similar odds, and similar outcomes. It's nothing to really get concerned over, even if something like this didn't happen in WWII.

• 3 months later...
its nto even liek they were that outmatched, the american troops walked the tanks into a trap, if you remember. and if you will also think for a minute, youll remember only 3 men survive, ryan, upham, and reiban. and honestly, they had almost lost the battle when advancing allied troops defeated the germans. they didnt technically win, they just delayed them for a perfect amount of time. watch it again and dont be so skeptical.

COLOR=Blue]Yeah of course it is more hollywood than history, so much stuff in there is. Personally i don't like the film i find it boring - no offence!
Some of the film is good but i reckon they just shove all that hollywood stuff in it to make it more of a storyline and film. ;) [/COLOR]

Come on now, unrealistic? Doubted.

From a fortified position, as well as bottle-necking infantry and cutting off flanks is a HIGHLY effective tactic against a greater force. Also, the GI's had extraordinary resourcefulness.

Another thing, you cannot judge battles merely by experience. If that were the case, then how is it that Omaha beach was taken by the second wave? Most of the Marines in that battle had never seen battle, while the Germans had already launched over six succesful invasions.

Keeping in mind also, the forces invading France had been training for years and years to reach the level of readiness to invade. The Germans who had been occupying France had been doing so for years, with little fighting aside from scattered British commandos and French resistance. Also, keeping in mind that only aroud twenty of the Germans were killed, while fourteen of the seventeen American troops had been KIA. It wasn't until they were relieved and reinforced that the battle was won.