OtakuBoards

Milton Creagh

Roxie Faye

[color=#9933ff]If you aren't going to take this thread seriously, I ask you not to speak at all. Get out, leave if you're too immature to deal with this.

Today Milton Creagh came to my High School to speak, and I was just blown away by what he had to say. It made me stop and think, and I'm still thinking about it.

For those of you who don't know who Milton Creagh (I'm sure most of you don't, it?s okay), he's a motivational speaker, and a lot more. He talks about all kinds of issues, but at my school, he talked to us about alcohol and drugs. If you're never seen him, it's not what you're thinking. "Don't do drugs children" No, he doesn't say that to you.

He gives statistics and real, heart wrenching, terrible, and sad stories about what alcohol can do to people.

During the presentation, he asked different questions, and at the end, he asked people to stand up if they said yes to four questions. They were about if someone in your family has a drinking problem, if someone in your family is divorced because of a drinking problem, if someone in your family was killed under the influence of alcohol/by someone under the influence of alcohol/was raped by someone under the influence of alcohol, and if someone in your family was killed because of tobacco products.

I was amazed at how many people stood up. I knew for a while that a friend of mine had a father with drinking problems, but I looked around, and I saw my [b]best[/b] friend stand up for one of the questions (if someone in your family was killed under the influence of alcohol...etc.) and I realized that Mr. Creagh was right. Alcohol and drugs don't discriminate, they don't care who they effect, and all of this is happening right here in my town -- in upper middle class suburbia with snotty snooty rich kids.

I was so angry because in the period after (which was lengthened to an hour while the juniors and seniors were in the auditorium), there were some boys talking about it, and one of them was [i]joking[/i] about it. I mean, it's like far and few kids in my school really thought about what he had said. And the ones who were affected were the ones that had been affected by Alcohol. I have to admit though, some others were sensitive to it. But I was really effected by what happened, I just thought it was amazing, what he had to say.

His website is at [url=http://www.big-milt.com/]http://www.big-milt.com/[/url] if you want to take a look[/color]

I'm not exactly sure what we are discussing on this thread. Is this simply to discuss Milton Creagh? Or perhaps to share our personal stories about drug abusing family members?

Since I don't know, I'll just share the story of my elder sister.

She is an alcoholic and a drug head. Strangers had victimized her and she has victimized members of my family. She divorced her first husband because he beat her and because he is an *******.

My Grandmother on my Fathers side died of lung cancer, caused by smoking.

I'm sure you'll find my credentials in order, now perhaps you'll share your purpose for this thread?

[color=#9933ff]I'm sorry to hear that, hon. :( *hug hug* I really don't know what my own purpose of this thread was (kind of crazy, huh?), but I guess I was just looking for someone to assure me that I'm not the only one who cares about this stuff. Because I felt like I was one out of very few that cared about this subject. I just want to know if anyone else gives a damn about this.

And of course, if you want to post anything else, whether about M Creagh, or talk about something that's happened in your, you can certainly go right ahead, but I guess that wasn't really my intention.[/color]

I'm really sensative when it comes to this stuff.

My dad was a pot head and a crack addict. I don't see him any more, so basically he's dead in my eyes. It's really messed up my life...and I end up crying in school if I see something that makes me think of him. There are so many kids in my school that smoke pot, they don't see any shame in it. I wish we had more speakers come to our school about things of this sort. Nobody takes anything as seriously as it is any more.

I don't know who Milton Creagh is, and really this isn't the point of the post. But all of this just reminds me of the motivational 'guru' in Donnie Darko. Yes, yes, it's just a movie. But on ocassion, certain scenes in a movie do have a point. And that was one smart flick.

Anyway, my two cents is rather simple. I don't think that anyone's salvation relies on another, that anyone's path to God (if you believe in Her/Him) goes through someone else. But rather, that it is up to us. Just as I believe that no one can kick their addiction of anything, be it alcohol or drugs or whatever, through depending on others. Sure support by your family or friends is essential, but really, only you have the power to kick your own addiction.

So what has this to do with anything MistressRoxie said? Quite alot actually. Life is complicated. And people find that hard. So they rather have easy answers. But there are no easy answers. There is no 'simple' path. And following one guru or another is not going to get you where you want to go. Only you can get yourself there.

So, don't be lazy and think for yourself is the gist of this post. See with your own eyes, hear with your own ears and know with your own mind.

And yes, what I've just said also applies to this post. ;)

[color=darkred][size=1]Some people find it easier to joke about difficult stuff, some like to try to shrug it off.

Some people really don't give a damn.

Why should you care about that though? You are you, not them. You know that some other people care about it as well...it doesn't matter if you're in the minority or not. Does it matter if you're the only one who feels this way? As I see it, no. It doesn't. You are you, an indivudal. Unique. It is a proven fact that everybody actally interprets the world differently. What you see in red is different to what I see thanks to our genes. You can't expect everyone to think the same as you do...however there are some people who feel about this issue the way you do.

I hope that is assurance enough.[/color][/size]

[font=Georgia][color=blue]Everyone has different things they feel strongly about. Just to give an example, there's the whole religion thing that OB is humorously sensitive about.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=blue]Not everyone cares about the human condition as much as they should. However, some people are overly-caring. It's alright to sympathize and decorate those who suffer more than the average person, but it's not alright to overdo it. Acknowledging their suffering and will is enough, but if their lives start influencing you negatively (i.e., you are too depressed), you are caring too much. You have no responsibility aside from helping as much as you can - if even that.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Of course, that's just my view about how one should think about the human condition. Keep that in mind as I write the following.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Salvation, in its purest form, is achieved by working together (not just in terms of religion). Accepting help from others, and in turn, helping others, is the true philosophy. When someone falls so deep into depravity that he cannot climb out, he needs that helping hand.[/color][/font]
[font=Georgia][color=#0000ff]Again, remember I'm stating my input, not facts. ^_^[/color][/font]