OtakuBoards

Books on Witchcraft, Goddesses. and Demonology

Eclectic

[font=Century Gothic][color=darkred]This probably sounds very odd, but I'm looking for books on the history of witchcraft, the dark arts, and Hecate for my English research paper. I've found a lot, but I'm not sure if any of it will actually help. Before I go and spend a bunch of money, could someonee help me decide which are actual worth my money? I'm on a bit of a budget. Also, if anyone wants to buy these books at the end of the school year (if I decide to sell them), post here as well. Anyways, here's the list so far.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#8b0000]PS: If this is in the wrong section (I wasn't sure it would belong in the literature forum), please move it.[/color][/font]
- "The Black Arts" by Richard Cavendish
- "Raising Hell: A Concise History of the Black Arts and Those Who Dared Practice Them" by Robert Masello
- "The History of Witchcraft and Demonology" by Montague Summer
- "Witchcraft and Magic in Sixteenth-And Seventeenth-Century Europe (Studies in European History)" by Geoffrey Scarre
- "A History of Witchcraft" by Jeffrey B. Russell
- "Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History (Middle Ages Series)" by Alan Charles Kors (Editor), Edward Peters (Editor)
- "Encyclopedia Of Witchcraft & Demonology" by Russell H. Robbins
- "Dreams and What They Mean to You (Llewellyn's New Age Series)" by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler
- "Dictionary of Ancient Deities" by Patricia Turner, Charles Russell Coulter
- "Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft" by Raymond Buckland
- "The Black Goddess and the Unseen Real" by Peter Redgrove
- "The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows" by Dorothy Morrison

Instead of restricting yourself to the name witchcraft, why not just look under Sumerian mythos, sorcery, and the various other ideas of magick out there?

Hell, just PM me or something. I've got a thing or two to share about the [I]arts[/I].

Guest ScirosDarkblade
The first book you mention is one I own (yes, I am an evil warlock and blah blah blah no just kidding my grandma bought a ton of books at a library sale and it looked interesting). It's a cool book, although sometimes the author seems to get a little too "into" it, but most of the time it's from a good historical perspective. It certainly can't be your only resource, but you'll find a lot of good quotable stuff in it.

Winter: I'm trying to limit myself, mostly because everything I find has to relate to Shakespeare's Macbeth in some way, but it can't hurt to search the other topics you've suggested. Much appreciated.

Sciros: Thanks for the tip. Even though you say the author gets a bit into his subject, at least I know he'll be passionate and slightly more interesting. And it definitely won't be my only source.

[font=gothic][color=darkslategray]If it's a Catholic School that doesn't allow that kind of material (like mine), start talking about Lilith, Adam's Apocryphal first wife who ended up being the mother of a host of demons...Trust me, they'll hate it. It's wonderful.[/font][/color]

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']yes, I am an evil warlock .[/quote]

[color=darkviolet] You do know that Warlock is an old scottish word meaning oath breaker right?

Uh err...

Anyway, if you just want to look up the history of a certain Goddess, I'd go for the old stand by-books on Mythology.

However, if you want to try more, your public library can be a big help to you on finding books on NEw Age religion (yes, it's old, but they call it new go figure). Hey, I managed to find a big Book from Ray Buckland about teh history of Witches, Witchcraft and Paganism in Killeen, TX (Bible Belt) I think you can do it too.

Basic history of Witchcraft. You can try anything from books on the Salem Trials to books about the entire history of witch craft-you can even find out why people thought of Male witches as Warlocks (he he he) and the whole deal with brooms and black cats. (I bleached mine so she;s not all black any more!)

Oh, and if you really want to freak out some nuns in school-ask for the Satanic Bible by Anton LeVay. Trust me, I've never seen a 60 year old run so fast![/color]

Warlock means oath breaker? I always thought its meaning had something to do with cowardice. But no one ever said I had common sense. Anyways, thanks for everything, ma'am. I'll put everything, except bleaching cats, to as good a use as I possibly can. That nun better start looking for some sneakers. I can finally get her back and finish my paper.