OtakuBoards

A Child Called "It"

G/S/B Master

This is the saddest book I've ever read. I've only gotten 45 pages into the book and I'm already disturbed. [spoiler]Can't believe that ***** put the kid's arm into the stove![/spoiler]

This book is a true story (the kid is the author of the book!). The book is about the most severe case of child abuse in California (which isn't even close of describing what he has to put up through). His mother is emotionally unstable and a violent alcoholic. Thus causing her to yell at her kids and put them through torturous "games" that could kill them. So far, I've only read that the author got into games.

At first look: From what I heard, I thought the book would get really saddening in the begginning. But it surprised me. [spoiler]The book's begginning is the book's end -_-[/spoiler] So I thought, "Hm, there's something wrong with that begginning." Then my sister (who is far into the story) told me thats the end and the story after that is how it all began.

I read further and it was really....... scary.

[spoiler] The 2nd chapter was really happy. It was about the good times in his young life. I was really envious about his family actually :P. Then I got to chapter 3, the loving, caring mother turned into a senseless, torturing *****! The kid (Dave Pelzer) started off as punishment in the corner. As his mother drank more booze and turning more of a slob, she started the "mirror treatment". Which was banging and rubbing Dave's head to a mirror and making him stay put with his head smashed into the mirror until she came back.

After that, the mom pulled his arm out of the socket (I think she did because there was a pop sound when she was battering it), and his face was covered with bruises. The arm recovered but it gotten worse....

Near the end of chapter 3, the mother led Dave to the kitchen where she planned to burn him to death. Dave's arm was the only thing that gotten burnt. He wasted his mother's time chasing around the house until Dave's friend came in. The mom acts nice around other people, so Dave didn't get his WHOLE body burnt.[/spoiler]

It's sad and really disturbing, but it is really addictive to read. I'm going to get the book after my sis finishes it.

I've known people who have read the book, and they've all had great things to say about it. I haven't read it myself, but from what I read about it now, it sounds too disturbing for me to handle. I'm really sensitive when it comes to stuff like that, I don't think I could handle seeing it, let alone reading about it.

It's sad and disturbing because its not a work of fiction; we know that its a true story. I read it a while ago, and I believe that there are two other books that go with it. I think it's important to read because it helps you recognize some of the signs that abuse is taking place... and it keeps you aware of what some kids go through, and possibly allow you to be able to help them.

[size=1][color=red] I've actually met the author, Dave Pelzer, in person. He was up here at Barnes & Noble signing books, and I got to meet him and have him sign the two books of his I own.

I forget the name of the next book in the series, but I've read them. I still haven't gone out and got the rest of the books of his, though.

Despite the fact of how badly he was treated by his mother, to me he appeared to be a usual human being. So even despite how horridly he was treated, he's still come out of it a good person. There is something amiable and inspiring about that.

The book my be sad, but it is the truth. And the truth always isn't good.

I'd recommend the book to anyone that wants a good book. It may be depressing, but this is the kind of stuff I enjoy reading.

I recently bought two books about serial killers, and I'm going to be reading those. Even if you don't want to admit it, the worst things that happen often make for the most enthralling to hear about and know about. There's something about the unknown that drives you on to know it, and there's something about pain that lets humans survive. As a human being, I seem to thrive on my pain; it is about the only thing that keeps me going. Because with pain comes survival. . .[/size][/color]