OtakuBoards

Jhonen Vasquez

Rinoa Heartilly

Im pretty sure some of you know who this guy is. He only created Invader Zim, I Feel Sick, JTHM, and Squee. He probably made more but I just can't think of them right now.

His comic books have been out for a while and I know for a fact that there are tons of fans out there. I was just wondering if any of you otakus like Jhonen and his work. Maybe we could discuss them aswell.

[color=navy]In addition to JTHM, Zim, Squee and I Feel Sick, Jhonen also wrote a story book called "Everything Can Be Beaten", which I have not been able to get my hands on quite yet. He's also made two comics revolving around Filler Bunny as well as the Bad Art Collection, but those aren't exactly the greatest things in the world, from what I've heard.

As with most people, I first learned about Mr. Vasquez's work through Invader Zim. From the first time I saw the promotional commercial with Dib screaming "They're coming! The aliens are coming!" into some sort of camera, I was intrigued, and the night the first episode of Invader Zim aired I couldn't fall asleep because of chronic laughter. The unique style of animation and general craziness of the series is what drew me to it.

When Zim was cancelled by the cold, heartless corporation that is Nickelodeon, I spent a lot of time downloading Zim eps. In my search, I came across something called "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac", which is credited as Jhonen Vasquez's first professional work. At first, I assumed JTHM was a short-lived cartoon that I had never seen because it was on some non-basic-cable channel, and I imagined that Johnny resembled Invader Zim's Iggins (I honestly don't know why..).

Back in October, I purchased the first issue of JTHM at our local comic book store. Needless to say, I was blown away by this comic book. I loved the mix of mindless, stupid humor and dark, deep, melodramatic themes. It was just really appealing to me. I was also introduced to Wobbly Headed Bob on that fateful October afternoon. WHB is, in my opinion, the funniest character of Vasquez's in existence.

That December, I bought Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut and Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors off Amazon.com. I spent many hours reading those comics, and even more laughing. JTHM, as said in the book's foreword, was a nice release of some anger for me, and Squee was just comedy. Needless to say, I love both books.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read I Feel Sick, Everything Can Be Beaten or Revenge of Filler Bunny. Filler Bunny doesn't seem too appealing (All twenty pages were made in less than twenty-four hours..) and Everything Can Be Beaten wasn't actually drawn by Vasquez, if I remember correctly, so I Feel Sick is next on my list.

And Tickle Me Hellmo is the best Meanwhile, no contest.[/color]

Yesh Jhonen is a god. I found out about him and his works through Invader ZIM's slightly short lived stay on Nickeloden. And after I figured out who was the artist behind it I saved up my pennies (and other related monies) so that I could buy JtHM. Needles to say my copy of the directors cut is falling apart and being held together by mailing tape. I also was mean enough to force it on several of my friends. One of which is waiting for me to die or buy a new copy so she can get my current one.

Once Zim was cancelled by Nick I became a "Doomer" and worte a rant about those "people" at Nickeloden. It also doubled as a paper in my english class.

I haven't read much of Jhonen's other works but I will own them this summer. Maybe. Hopefully.

And yes Sennen Hellmo is the spiff.