OtakuBoards

Pro Life or Pro Choice. Maturity requested

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet][quote name='Glamour April 2004] Last fall, Congress passed and the president signed a criminal ban on certain abortion procedures-[i]without[/i'] an exception to protect a woman's health or her life. Top administrative members, including Attorney General John Ashcroft, say openly that they would like to see Roe v. Wade overturned[/quote]

Yes, that was just a partial quote from a women's fashion magazine, but I wanted to get people thinking.

What is your stand on abortion rights? Do you think they should be limited or taken away all together. Do you feel that the government should stay out of the doctor's office and keep their laws away from women's bodies?

Either way, I'd like an opinion, A well thought out one at that.

As for me, I don't know much about partial birth abortions, but I figure if you've already gone that far along with your pregnancy and you don't feel you're ready to have the baby, the least you could do for the child is put him or her up for adoption.

However, in cases of rape or where the woman's life could be in danger, an abortion should be allowed.

But people should remember it's not birth control.

Well, that's my two cents for the evening. Everyone else, have at.[/color]

[color=#707875]Although this thread has not yet gotten off the ground, I think I'm going to close it. And I'll explain why.

First and foremost, we've had several abortion threads before. Now, generally, I think certain threads can probably be safely repeated numerous times over a long period. But I feel that abortion is a very specific kind of discussion; people's opinions don't change on a whim and they are usually pretty unlikely to go back and forth during a short period of time.

I fear that with this thread, we might simply have people repeating everything they've said beforehand. But also, I'm concerned that this thread will [i]inevitably [/i]be closed at some point, because there will be one or two people who just don't want to participate in a civil way.

I understand that what I'm doing may seem unfair, so I'll meet you halfway. If you want to discuss abortion, you can do it on myOtaku. As far as I know, we've only just had a thread like this (and by only just, I'm talking within the last few months). We already know where everyone stands, for the most part, and we've all heard the pro life/choice arguments before.

I just don't think it's something we need to dig up right now. I'm mostly willing to allow you guys to discuss pretty much any issue, but I encourage you to look for something new for the moment. This is a very classic discussion that seems to get frequently rehashed. And it's not really conducive to the idea of variety and quality, because we [i]always [/i]see it. I want to see something else for a change and I don't think that's too much to ask.[/color]