OtakuBoards

Moving stories

John

Recently, my family's restaraunt has been going down the drain, and without some extreme divine intervention, we're not going to make it through the summer. Coincidentally, my dad just recently got a good job offer in Kansas, and the guy who offered it didn't even know that we were getting ready to shut down the restaraunt. If we do move, it will be early this summer, and I'll be starting high school that year. My older brother will stay down here for college, and the only one who might possibly have a problem adapting and making friends is my older sister, because she'll be leaving in the middle of her high school years. But it just happens that she's the one in our family who can make friends and adapt far easier than anyone else. So it all fits together with amazing perfection.

But that's not really what this post is about. I'm fourteen and have moved three times in my life, and I want to know how many of you have ever moved, and did you have any problems or interesting stories relating to the move?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]i spent two years in foster care, so i moved a total of... *counts on fingers* thirteen times in just under 21 months.

i guess the weirdest moving story i have is from the sixth foster home i was in. we were getting ready, because i was moving to a new placement and the foster mother was moving to a new house, and all of a sudden, when we were moving the mattresses from the basement (where we foster kids slept), we found a dead mouse in one of the mattresses. The four of us argued for an hour over who was going to get rid of it. Yuck.

my advice: if you ever end up moving more than once in a year, never unpack. makes things that much easier.[/FONT]

[SIZE=3]what i would give to move!! ive lived in the same house all my life (15 years going on 16 this month) this house used to be concidered "country" until finally they built around it. In the spring, the basment floods ruining everything, and bugs always manage to get in. we have a pretty big back yard, but of coarse isnt fenced in so we get trespassers day in and day out, 9 bikes stolen (locked too) 2 break ins, our car has been stolen. Plus i live in Manitoba and we get 2 extreme weathers (VERY cold winters, and very hot summers) . basically: crappy neighbourhood, crappy house sums it all up! only 2 more years of school, and i have to get out!
well im done ranting and raving! thanx it felt good (not as good as hitting someone, but itll do!! :tasty: :p

bubi![/SIZE]

I have moved a total of 5 times in my life. I don't know about you guys but when I move I think there is a black hole that follows me. This is the black hole in which items have fallen into, never to be seen again. Each time I move I lose something. Nothing major, just things like the bathmat or one of those small garbage cans. I really have no idea where these things disappear too. When I would leave one place I always did a walk through to make sure things weren't forgotten....yet these odds and ends of items aren't at the new place when I unpack. Bizarre!

As for an interesting moving story, besides the Moving Black Hole, would have to be moving with my Siamese cat across the state. We were driving from one end of Washington state to the other. It was going to be a 5 hour drive as long as we didn't hit any traffic jams. I get her in her carrier and we are off! She is howling...or should I say screaming at the top of her lungs. If any of you have heard the sound of a Siamese cat "singing" you will feel really bad for me. For you who have not been blessed with the melodious sound of Siamese singing...think about the sound a regular cat makes when you step on it's tail and then double that. It truly is a wonderful sound. :rolleyes:

The first 1/2 hour I thought...Hmm, she should be getting tired soon and quit. After 2 hours I thought....Hmm, anytime now she will quit. FIVE HOURS LATER....I get to the new house and pull in the driveway, with her still screaming, and guess what. She make one last scream as I turned the car off, then quit. :mad:

At this point I understand how some parents snap when their baby won't quit crying. I was sooooo tired of her screaming I was almost at my breaking point. If I had to be in the car with her for any longer I think I would have just pulled over and walked the rest of the way!

Just for that reason. I am not going to move again until she passes away! I can't do that again!!!

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Well, I made a pretty big move when I was six years old. My family moved from the USSR to the United States. It was in 1989, when they first started letting people out and the U.S. started accepting them as political refugees.

But it wasn't an easy trip here. We lived in Vienna, Austria for 3 weeks before being sent over to a little town in Italy where we lived for over a month. We only had $500 when we left the Soviet Union, so getting by was pretty difficult (as it was for everyone who went with us), and there was always a risk of being delayed or not accepted in the U.S. and so forth. Nobody knew where he/she was going to end up even when we got to Italy. There, my dad had to get a job as a street sweeper until he by chance managed to get accepted to some sort of position in his profession (entomologist) in a museum or something.

In reality it was a pretty rough trip, and there were some really scary moments along the way. There were times when we literally had no place to spend the night or almost nothing to eat. But I remember very little of it, because my 3-year-old (at the time) brother and I would just be playing all over the place, oblivious to much of anything.

But hey, eventually we made it to NYC (yeah, again with absolutely nothing). After years of work and luck my family finally managed to carve out a good living and now we live quite comfortably in Columbus, Ohio. It's the "American Dream," right? I guess.

Eh, sorry. I got carried away. I've moved twice, and one of those times was a really big deal and changed my life greatly.

Well, my one move has been fairly small, but there is this one thing that was kinda funny.....

Well, it was time for me to start middle school. I was fully prepared to follow in my brother's footprints and go to Marrill Middle School. I even got my friend to open-enroll (He had to even though he lived closer to Marrill that Calinan) and then my parents decide to tell me....we're moving to Johnston! My friend went through the trouble of open-enroll for nothing.It's nice because we have a bigger house now, though, and I made new friends, and I can still see my old friends. (This all happened in Iowa.)

[color=darkviolet]I lived in the same house in the same town on the same street for 21 years. Then I got married and ended up moving to Ft. Hood Texas, the suckiest place on earth. :flaming:

It was pretty much not too fun getting down there. the flight was easy enough-Buffalo to Baltimore, Baltimore to Austin. Then we landed in Austin and the Airport doesn't have a USO office so we (Lincoln and I) took an airport shuttle to they Grey Hound Station then took the bus from Austin to Killeen. There was this one guy waiting for us that Lincoln had met in Korea, or so we thought. We ended up calling him. Then we got to Poxon guest house. *dies*

Poxon is depressing and I'm convinced you could get Legionare's disease there. Lincoln was the only person that we met there who was put in 1st Cav (lucky for him since 4th ID was sent over first in March/April 2003) And so ends my first story.

Moving back to my hometown in Western NYS was a bit easier. We packed stuff up and Lincoln went to Ft. Polk Louisiana for some kind of abriviation I don't remember. Then the day after that a friend of ours drove me down to Austin and I stayed over night at a hotel.

I'm sorry my stories weren't all that interesting, but maybe you'd like to hear about mortar rounds and such.[/color]